West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (31/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Norwich City: Match Thread

Post by e17 »

Up the Junction wrote:All I've read so far has been constructive criticism, E. I don't think anyone has been unrealistic in their appraisal of his contribution. This sort of comment adds nothing to the debate (although I note you have elucidated since).
Fair enough UTJ, I was expecting the Cresswell treatment to come young Fred’s way and it hasn’t

You can tell we’re a happy bunch this weekend - the match thread page count is younger than most of us!
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

It’s been noted that Norwich had next to no goal threat. How much of this do we think is down to them playing poorly and how much to our defence playing well?

Personally, I think Diop and Ogbonna both had good games and the fact that our creative midfielders were causing so much havoc made it harder for Norwich to break out. This, hopefully, is Pellegrini’s modus operandi and the reason he apparently didn’t feel the need to strengthen in the DM role as so many of us have been demanding.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

First game I’ve attended for quite a while. What a game to choose! Apart from the first 10-15 minutes I thought we were excellent. How we didn’t score more (we should’ve had at least one penalty) I don’t know. Krul made some great saves, especially from Lanzini’s header. Says everything when he was Norwich’s best player by a country mile.

Was really pleased for Yarmolenko yesterday. Still looks like he’s working his way back to full fitness and looked rusty. Putting that goal away will do him the world of good.

More of the same going forwards please West Ham! :crest:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

OohAahButler wrote:It’s been noted that Norwich had next to no goal threat. How much of this do we think is down to them playing poorly and how much to our defence playing well?

Personally, I think Diop and Ogbonna both had good games and the fact that our creative midfielders were causing so much havoc made it harder for Norwich to break out. This, hopefully, is Pellegrini’s modus operandi and the reason he apparently didn’t feel the need to strengthen in the DM role as so many of us have been demanding.
I wouldn't say 'no' goal threat. They had a very good chance first half with a header at the back post and did hit the post with about five minutes to go.
However , in the main we did defend relatively well. They had a lot of the ball first twenty minutes but couldn't quite find the final ball. We didn't good job of keeping their full backs quiet and after first 20, players like Guendzia and Cantwell faded away
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Graza wrote: Quite a realistic assessment really. No mention of their managers ramblings.
I feel like he came across a bit desperate, their performance was worrying and he's trying to distract.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

For me the most complete performance of the season so far. 4 nil would not have flattered us.

You can see room for improvement as well, Pellers seems to have a settled side that are playing well and confidence is high, international break came at the wrong time for us.

Apart from Liverpool & Man C we can give everyone a game this season, and who knows with those two, catch them on the right day.....Squad looks good, bar Haller we have good competition in all places. Haller stays fit and could be in for a very good season. Really impressed with the big fella to date.

Will we get consistency now? probably not as its us :D but should be some cracking entertaining games ahead.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I think we might stay up this year.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I think the next two games will tell us how far we might go this season. away at villa is not easy and then home to man utd who we need to beat again to add to our confidence factor. win those two or 4 pts at least and we will be onto something good.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

e17 wrote:You can tell we’re a happy bunch this weekend - the match thread page count is younger than most of us!
Yes, always a bit of a giveaway is that!
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

and no lists !
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Collison Theory wrote:
I feel like he came across a bit desperate, their performance was worrying and he's trying to distract.
Definitely. We're a good side going forward, but to come away with only a couple of half-chances against our defence does not bode well for their season.

The best description I've seen anywhere was 'men against boys'. Noble makes such a difference to us. We really do have to look at bringing in a long-term replacement for him next summer.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

ironilunga wrote:Would love to hear from a few more who went yesterday their first impressions on what calibre of striker we have on our hands with Haller. Similar pedigree to Kanoute, potentially better?
Physically he is a big, powerful lad with good pace and a decent engine. His movement is excellent, he lays the ball off well and can run the channels giving options to his team mates. His interplay with Anderson today was a thing of beauty and helped the Brazilian give his best performance in a West Ham shirt so he brings the best out of his team mates. He found space in the box easily and could have been on for a hat trick today had others looked up instead of choosing to shoot or pass to others but they will watch this game and learn to look for him.
In terms of comparisons, he's as big as Caroll, quickish like Carlton Cole and as mobile as Freddie Kanoute. He doesn't have Ashton's first touch, but them very very few did or do, and he is not a fast as Bellamy or Kitson.

All in all he looks every inch a top player, and a snip at £45m.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

The noises coming from deepest north Norwich are it’s was all in our masterplan to purposely take their Centre Back out of the game (Zimmermann?) because they’re light in that position and we could then breeze through their defence. :lol:

They really are bleating on about it.

It was a yellow if anything. I personally thought the ref let a lot go, we had one if not two stonewall penalties waved away and not even referred to VAR. We were on our game though, Haller and Anderson were exceptional (even though I do bemoan the lack of end product from Anderson), he pretty much had a field day on Saturday.

Pleased for Yarmolenko to get a goal, you could see how much it meant to him after coming back from that horrific injury and celebrating with the medical team when he got subbed.

And the most pleasing thing of the day for me was keeping a clean sheet. When was the last time we had one of those? I thought Diop had Pukki in his pocket perfectly all game.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

steps wrote: (even though I do bemoan the lack of end product from Anderson)
Jesus, he only put Haller in one on one twice and Snodgrass once, and played in Arthur to overlap for Hallers first goal.
The fact that those he put in for one on ones didn't finish denied him three assists in one game!!
He has two assists in the last three games.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

From where I was watching, that was a great team performance - pressing from the front was excellent and stopped Norwich from settling, and the front four deserve a lot of credit for that. Masuaku was terrific down the left too, doing exactly what it is he does so well in getting up and supporting the attacks as well as getting a foot in where necessary - think he must have made five or six tackles in the left back area, stopping them from getting crosses in.

Noble was superb in the middle, ticking passes over and winning the ball off them.

Special mention to Yarmolenko, who I thought played really well but faded a little into the second half before coming off. Deserved his goal, and nice that he went and celebrated with the medical staff.

All in all, if we can keep performing at that level (which is unrealistic) we have got a really good team on our hands - that 15/16 comparison will be due, at the very least.
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

I only watched the 30 mins sky highlights but we looked really good, and like we were totally in control.

Haller really looks like the real deal, fingers crossed!
westham4

Post by westham4 »

First FL/PL match was on 30 August 1919, West Ham 1 Lincoln 1.
Good to start the second 100 years with a 2-0 win.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote:I think we might stay up this year.
Yay!
That is a kind of 'next level'..