Javier Hernandez Signs

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1036 likes

Re: Javier Hernandez Signs

Post by stu1 »

The downfall of Bony is pretty staggering.
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

Does anyone remember when Di Canio and Kanouté both suffered long-term injuries and we were left with 20-year-old Jermain Defoe and Ian Pearce up front? That was fun.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

I remember for what seemed about 10 years we had Carlton and just literally every rubbish footballer who’d ever played as an option. Or players who had been good but now were rubbish.

Easy to forget that before Hernandez, we once called upon Benni Mac, Mido, Maiga...
goof

Post by goof »

Once again well and truly shafted by the owners, they have had all summer to get this done, just penny pinching, nothing less. We will never ever amount to anything with this lot at the helm. No progression what so ever since the move. I understand getting shot of a player that doesn't turn up most days & his contract is up soon but you can't deny he does score some goals when needed, the same can be said about Carroll. Haller will get injured we all no that, once again another season full of promise to a season of fighting relegation, thanks.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

tommythehammer wrote:A quick search throws up some interesting (albeit depressing) free agents:

- Wilfred Bony
- Modibo Maiga
- Emmanuel Emineke
- Victor Anichebe
- Emmanuel Reviere
Worth remembering that if we sign another striker they would be third choice - they don’t have to be world beaters! I would try and sign Llorente until Jan/next summer. Fits the system.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

think someone posted already - he's in Naples.....
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

In true KUMB fashion, a massive overreaction by posters on here.

We have Haller, we have Ajeti, we have Yarmolenko and we have the youth if required.

If we whittle through those we’ll be in the sh*t, just like every club in the league.

Aguero/Jesus
Firmino/Origi
Kane/???
Aubamyang/Lacazette
Abraham/Giroud
Rashford/???
Vardy/Ianecho
Jimenez/Cutrone
Richarlison/Kean

How many clubs in the league actually have three senior out and out strikers?
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

It's a bit of a gamble to have just two strikers in the squad, but if you only play one striker (as we do) It's not so much. Critics who say this should have been done earlier aren't being realistic. If the bids come in late what are you supposed to do? It's been obvious he's wanted away for some time and realistically recruiting a 3rd choice striker of any quality is not easy. I don't agree that the squad has been weakened. Last Tuesday we played a team with 10 changes from the previous game. That team was stronger than some of our first 11 in the not too distant past. Quantity may be down but quality is definitely up. Let's hope the injury curse leaves us alone for a while!
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

steveyrockstar wrote:The thing with Hernandez is that he was a fantastic option of the bench if we're chasing games and need a goal, so great for cup games. With Antonio out, I don't know what secret weapons we'll have on our bench anymore. Even Diangana is on loan at West Brom.

It does leave us light up front, and God forbid Haller gets injured. A lot could rest on Ajeti's shoulders.
Exactly

Look at his PL record last season.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.s ... Tabs=stats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49546705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its all very well saying blame the owners but if a player takes advantage of a later european window and players simply don’t want to come to us because ww cant offer european football then what can they do?
if hugill carries on then see if we can recall him but then he might not want to and it doesnt help with antonio out.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Damed if they did and damned if they didn't.

Walks away for free end of the season, 2nd/3rd in line for a place

Largest earner at the club but a greta finisher who can score goals with the right service

Doesn't really fit our system of 1 up top, but would in a 2

Downside is 8m quid less 6.5m in wages wont be seen again - straight in those turnips pockets ...

I think its a good move for the club as it frees up a squad place for January if need be, and Silva may be back by December anyway.

Please don't anyone mention Hugill - will be sold end of the season if he has a good one this - not seen as premiership standard and certainly isn't.
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

Hernandez - 16 goals in 55 games

Arnautovic - 21 goals in 59 games
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

I’m one of those who was in support of Hernandez getting more time ahead of others, but i have to admit the time he spent on the pitch he looked out of place and the team disjointed as a result. To be a striker in most sides in the premier league at this moment in time requires to be more than just a goal poacher.
It is for sure a massive attribute to possess, but if it comes at the frustration of your own teams tactics, you won’t be featuring very highly in the 1st 11.
Nobody in the league was in for Hernandez, which really demonstrates how useful he had become !
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 436 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

I'd be ok with the idea of Hernandez leaving without a replacement, but if Husillos has lined up Llorente then it will have been great business.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Glad he has gone but would have been nce if sevilla had bid earlier in our window but I guess they have used it as an advantage. so we have a bit more money and saved on stupid wages.
never quite worked here for him and he looked not bothered half the time. too many minor injuries to be genuine.

we want players who want to play for us. he is 31 now and not going to get any better. overall 10m for him is good business, no one in the premier league wanted him !

so we are left with haller and ajeti. silva is recovering from injury and wont be back fully until December.
Antonio out until January I reckon.

not sure I want a 34 year old llorente who is slow and only here for the money.

we have a couple of young strikers why not give them a chance ? kemp and dju spring to mind. you never know we might unearth a real gem.

we will need to buy another striker in january but that window is not a good one to buy in.

lets hope the injury curse doesnt retrun.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2712 likes

Post by sendô »

It does us a favour to get him off of the wage bill.

Sadly, Hernandez never seemed to properly fit into any system we played.

I'll mostly remember him for his lack of performance away to lower league opposition in the cups, sadly.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Rocket wrote:Does anyone remember when Di Canio and Kanouté both suffered long-term injuries and we were left with 20-year-old Jermain Defoe and Ian Pearce up front? That was fun.

Not as much fun as seeing Colin Foster or Paul Hilton thrusted up front with no other options.
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

His all round play was terrible. When he played we played badly. I certainly won't miss him. If you just look at his goal stats it looks like he had a half decent time here, but his link up play was shocking, he's just a crap Gary Linekar.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

sendô wrote:It does us a favour to get him off of the wage bill.

Sadly, Hernandez never seemed to properly fit into any system we played.

I'll mostly remember him for his lack of performance away to lower league opposition in the cups, sadly.
Also for me in moving him on, he becomes someone else's problem.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1036 likes

Post by stu1 »

Hernandez is ideal for certain situations, like chasing a goal in a home game or away against low prem opposition. However he’s completely unsuited to leading the line on his own in most games, particularly away from home.

If you focus on his games when he’s lead the line away from home then you’ll think he’s crap, but you are completely overlooking the time when he’s best utilised. I’d imagine if we kept him, he’d rarely start but be used off the bench regularly.

The sale of Hernandez will cost us between 3-6 point this season imo, the question is does getting £8m and saving £7m in wages out way a slightly lower points total.