Moses-aah!

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Moses-aah!

Post by Up the Junction » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:25 pm

This happened four years ago today. Your memories?

IronZ-79

Re: Moses-aah!

Post by IronZ-79 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Watched this whilst on holiday in Malta!

Amazing result...remember us beating Arsenal away and I think this followed that...we won 2 away that we should have lost and lost 2 at home that we should of won!

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:33 pm

I broke into my friends house, who was on holiday, to watch it, in the cold under a blanket.

The house is always incredibly messy and there is always a bottle of scotch laying around, which I helped myself to.

Winston Reid gave the best performance I've ever seen from a West Ham player and for a brief moment the relentless monotony of life wasn't quite so enveloping.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:35 pm

IronZ-79 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:29 pm
Amazing result...remember us beating Arsenal away and I think this followed that...
Spot on... Was a quite bizarre sequence of results, Ironz...

Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.

Post by Sauce! » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Read the title and thought it was gonna be about Mark E Smith.

Here he is reading out the final scores from a few years back.

Tottenham Hotspur postponed: West Ham 1 haitch-uh

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Sauce! wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:39 pm
Read the title and thought it was gonna be about Mark E Smith.
Good shout, Sauce. Will never tire of watching that.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:04 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:33 pm
I broke into my friends house, who was on holiday, to watch it, in the cold under a blanket.

The house is always incredibly messy and there is always a bottle of scotch laying around, which I helped myself to.

Winston Reid gave the best performance I've ever seen from a West Ham player and for a brief moment the relentless monotony of life wasn't quite so enveloping.
He was absolutely superb, and Diafra Sakho gave one those performances that make you wonder what might have been if he wasn't such an oddball

Bramwell

Post by Bramwell » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Dull, Uninteresting and totally Irrelevant fact:

Mark E Smith was born the day before me - 5th of March 1957

That is all.

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 pm

The Alamo, I remember it well.

Antonio's debut, coming on as a sub, we were clinging on all the second half.

Their manager who I think may have been Pelle at the time advanced Yaya 15 yards further up the pitch for the second half and we simply couldn't clear our lines more than 20 yards from goal.Noble kept looking up and seeing a mountain in front of him.Nobes looked ****ing petrified.

One of those wins when you leave the oppositions ground knowing you've nicked the points and on any other day would hae lost 8-2.The best wins of them all.

One of my mates who I stand next to, took his 7 year old along - that was his first season as an ASTH - and we promised him it was always going to be like that, famous away wins, West Ham United taking the piss.............he's now an embittered 11 year old, cursing his old man for being a Hammer when all the other kids in school have dads who support Arsenal or Spurs.

Too late young man, you're one of us until the day you drop.....

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Bramwell wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:21 pm
Dull, Uninteresting and totally Irrelevant fact:

Mark E Smith was born the day before me - 5th of March 1957

That is all.

Another irrelevant fact, we have the same birthday.

Hammer Laffers

Post by Hammer Laffers » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:35 pm
Spot on... Was a quite bizarre sequence of results, Ironz...
Is that not the most 'West Ham' set of result of all time :lol:

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:14 pm

We only lost one game to the traditional top 6 that season. And nobody did the double over us.

ereford ammer

Post by ereford ammer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Which is why I always have respect for Slaven :crest:

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:38 pm

Watched it on the telly - I can still remember Moses' goal but I've forgotten Sakho's , not sure why - then came the inevitable backs to the wall scenario - we'd worked our socks off at The Emirates but we knew Manchester City had more penetrating guile and that eventually they were bound to equalise .....but no , we kept them at bay same as we'd done the Arsenal .

Speaking of Old Vic , I never knew he'd gone on loan to Fenerbahce [ well I did obviously cos I just said so ] .

Think I enjoyed 2015/16 more than I did '85/86 .

e-20

Post by e-20 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:44 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:25 pm
This happened four years ago today. Your memories?
Seem to remember that was the last year before our skipper started convincing us before w faced them that if City are on form we can do little to prevent a drubbing. I presume Norwich (and all those others who kept the score down) just caught them on a lucky off day then.

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Post by Clucking Bell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:53 am

Watched it at my middle niece's wedding. Never have so many Englishmen had cause to thank a pseudo-American with a VPN and NBC sports subscription :)

I think the overall vibe was that of mild disbelief: how the f*** did we ever get a player of the calibre of Payet? I think we were all waiting to wake up. Which of course we did a year and a half later ....

Lil Joe 17

Post by Lil Joe 17 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:34 am

e-20 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:44 pm
Seem to remember that was the last year before our skipper started convincing us before w faced them that if City are on form we can do little to prevent a drubbing. I presume Norwich (and all those others who kept the score down) just caught them on a lucky off day then.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/29670449 this was the year prior?

mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:22 am

Such a shame he wasted his career going to Chelsea

I'm sure his millions in the bank make him not bothered but a club our size he would have been a starter for a far few years for sure

Always rated him

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:24 am

Winston in his pomp. Hart in goal. The corner off Kolarov that Sakho ultimately scored from should have been adjudged a goal kick. The weird anti-climax of our second goal – surely the least wild celebrations of any goal we've ever scored to go two up at a CL team? – due to the ugly scramble to get it in and waiting for a flag, Sakho collapsing in a heap afterwards rather than celebrating, and the sense that it was still so early in the game that it didn't feel remotely decisive. Antonio's debut late on – Slav displaying his perverse habit of bringing on players to see out tight games who can't control the ball (he did it with Enner, repeatedly, that season. Leicester away showing the logical outcome of that habit). The last 35 mins is really just a blur of the ball being crossed in by De Bruyne and headed away by Reid. I say it seems like a blur that I have no memory of, but possibly it's actually all that happened in that last half hour?

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:41 am

Really should've won the FA Cup that season. We were the best team left in it but couldn't make our superiority vs Man U tell. And we should have finished 4th but signed Emineke in the Jan transfer window instead of a proper striker, and massively bottled our last couple of games.

Such a shame that such a phenemonal, record-breaking season for us should ultimately fizzle out in enormous disappointment, leaving us perenially empty-handed.

Yours,
A miserable West Ham fan