CCR3: Oxford Utd 4-0 West Ham Utd (25/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Re: ⚽Oxford United v West Ham United: LC R3 Match Thread

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

I’m just so gutted about this result. So many on here were confidently suggesting a weakened team and that we should still have too much for lowly Oxford. I’d like to think we’d learn the lesson this time, but it’ll be the same shower of ***** again next season.

A cup is realistically our only chance of silverware. We have thrown in the towel on this again. Shocking.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Proof that if Fabianski, Rice or Haller get injured then we’re ****ed.

Fed up with saying that we should start with a strong team then rest if we are clear.

Had a good day out until the match started. The half time lark was literally the most memorable thing I take from the game. That and Roberto’s slice.

****wits.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

I take no pleasure in being provided right re the battering .Sitting through that and living and working in Oxford is going to be misery the next few weeks days.
We looked polished the first 40 mins but toothless in the last third .Once they scored one you knew the roof was going to fall in.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Nice people sat around me in our end though hope you are all having a good fast trip back
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

James P wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:45 pm Your an intelligent guy so I know you’re only saying this nonsense because you’re trying to defend an argument you feel you can’t move from.

But you know that if you take a first eleven and significantly weaken 4-5 positions, there is no way you are going to get a comparable performance or outcome.

Losing as little as two of our better players massively knocks out chance of winning a PL match. Taking five or six out against a form side like Bournemouth and we’d be lambs to the slaughter. They would destroy that side tonight.
I am not saying that team would beat Bournemouth, but the one that went from 2-0 down to 4-0 was really not very weak at all, and could quite easily be our starting eleven at some point
My point is every single one of them, starters and subs would play better in a league game than they did tonight.

As I said on the other thread, I have no big issue with the starting eleven except the attacking end of the pitch where I would have played at least two of Haller, Anderson and Yarmalenko. The key to beating lower league sides is scoring early and taking advantage of the huge difference in quality of Premier League attackers vs lower league defenders

The rest of the starting eleven was fairly uncontroversial and it seemed like many others agreed given the pre match predictions

Oxford made loads of changes but seemed to cope so that is a worry from a management perspective
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Sanchez is perfectly capable of losing games all on his own.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:59 pm I am not saying that team would beat Bournemouth, but the one that went from 2-0 down to 4-0 was really not very weak at all, and could quite easily be our starting eleven at some point
The only way the team that finished that game could ever be a starting side is if there was a massive outbreak of food poisoning at Rush Green or we had an injury crisis of biblical proportions. Those players never all start together otherwise. Never.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

When we lost to Wimbledon it then impacted our league form quite significantly - hope same doesn’t happen again.

I think tonight exposed that we don’t have enough pace and power beyond the first eleven.

Fornals and Wilshere don’t seem quick - either does Ajeti
Zabaleta and Sanchez are glacial
Snodgrass has returned to pre-Villa loan spell form so far this season

No power and pace in there. There’s still not enough of it in the squad. Lack of it makes us easy to contain.

Sounded like Holland was doing better than the rest, but was chosen to be sacrificed when we were chasing the game.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

hammer1975 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:04 pm
Fornals and Wilshere don’t seem quick - either does Ajeti
Zabaleta and Sanchez are glacial
Snodgrass has returned to pre-Villa loan spell form so far this season

No power and pace in there. There’s still not enough of it in the squad. Lack of it makes us easy to contain.
Zabaleta and Sanchez are out of contract next summer and surely won’t be kept on.

Wilshere won’t be happy being back up and I reckon will be gone then too.

Pretty sure Snodgrass is also out of contract then.

That’s three, perhaps four players we can replace.
Crouchend_Hammer

The only positive that will come out of this is Pelligrini will not play a weakened team in the FA Cup IMHO.
I just don't think he will risk it happening again.
I could be proved wrong of course but I think he will go very strong in 3rd Round of FA Cup regardless of opposition
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

That’s the most pathetic cup exit since the infamous 5-2 to Barnsley back in 87.

Absolute bunch of clowns, and I include Zelda from Terrahawks in that. Obviously learned nothing since the dire Cup loss to Wimbledon.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

The changes collectively haven't worked tonight but that doesn't mean they are not good enough squad players. Bringing one or two of those players in to the team that started Sunday would keep us fairly strong.....might not be the first choice but should be able to do a job.
Crouchend_Hammer

Also couldn't we have just lost 1-0 or even 2-0? Gone out under the radar!
Still abject and still not through to next round but at least you can kind of forget about it as it just get's bundled up with other Premier League teams losing

Typical West ham to get a tonking that then becomes the biggest story and may impact the rest of the season as it becomes such a influential thing
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

That’s got to be up there as one of my most disastrous away days out.

And there has been a few!
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Just got back.

That’s a days holiday I’ll never get back. Blenheim Palace was a decent visit though....

Anyone saying that 11 would have got a result against Manchester United or Bournemouth is very, very sadly mistaken. The gulf in quality beyond our premiership match day squad is now alarmingly clear.

Rather than slag WHU players off, some of who are still very new to the club and hopefully might prove me wrong, let me just say that on tonight’s showing, I would be very very concerned if Haller, Lanzini or Fab got long lay-offs at any stage this season.

Especially Fabianski. f*** me I missed Adrian tonight. Or even Joe ****ing Hart, and he was useless.

I will say that Wilshere is sadly our new Andy Carroll - the fella is ****ing claret and blue kryptonite - not his fault, but his legs are simply gone - probably will remain great for 20 minute substitute cameos - but I’m sure that’s what he’s here for...

Carlos Sanchez. I don’t really have any words....

We weren’t even THAT bad for the first 30 or so!

Honestly have nothing more to say about tonight. Possibly ever again. Straight up to bed and sleep. :|
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

A reality check after the run of clean sheets & being 5th in the table.
We have a goodish first 11 but weaker squad members. As someone said, we only have to lose a couple of 'star' players & then we're struggling. I'm sorry to say that imo, even our strongest 11 probably isn't good enough to get to or win, a cup final. Even our strongest team nowadays, how would that compare with the team of '80/'81 or '86? We've still got too many squad players who aren't good enough.
Ant Mic, Lanzini? The injury list has begun..
4-0? We were out the cup at 1-0 so to me, the other 3 goals didn't really matter.
Our squad is STILL like f*cking Frankenstein's Monster.
We didn't deserve to be in the 4th round draw. Simple as that.
WTID
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by WTID »

Typical West Ham. We better bounce back quickly from this.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:54 pm There will be sound bites from the camp tomorrow. The only one I want to hear is a profuse apology!

The rest will make me vomit!
Overchuffed
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

It does my nut in when I see people putting their choice of "line ups" out there and include people like Roberto & Sanchez, and leaving out players who we rely on.

Will we ever learn? We are suckers for a cup shock against lower league opposition. Pellegrini has to take part of the blame for tonight, he picked them.

I reckon 85-90% of us would rather win a trophy than finish in the top 8-10 (or even the top 6 for that matter)
I don't remember even having a street party when we finihsed 5th and qualified for the Inter Toto....I want to win a trophy.
And that means putting your strongest team out, or at the very least, 4 or 5 changes max.

What was everyone expecting when you leave out one of the best keepers in the league and replace him with someone that has looked "shaky at best" in the pre season and didn't shoot up any trees v Newport.
When you leave out your captain, - who clearly keeps getting picked by umpteen WHU managers because he is the reason we tick in games, then don't be surprised when theres no leadership out there.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Samba wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:44 pm A reality check after the run of clean sheets & being 5th in the table.
We have a goodish first 11 but weaker squad members. As someone said, we only have to lose a couple of 'star' players & then we're struggling. I'm sorry to say that imo, even our strongest 11 probably isn't good enough to get to or win, a cup final. Even our strongest team nowadays, how would that compare with the team of '80/'81 or '86? We've still got too many squad players who aren't good enough.
Ant Mic, Lanzini? The injury list has begun..
4-0? We were out the cup at 1-0 so to me, the other 3 goals didn't really matter.
Our squad is STILL like f*cking Frankenstein's Monster.
We didn't deserve to be in the 4th round draw. Simple as that.
The fairest of fair points.

The reality is that while we very well might have two players for each position, in many cases the second player is either crap e.g. Sanchez or someone who can't get through ninety minutes e.g. Wilshere.

Also, as much as I'd like us to win something, the only chance of us so doing is to avoid anyone good until the final and hope that some other ****er has knocked out Citeh for us before then.

I can't say I'm super upset. At this point, I'd rather maintain the good start to the season, avoid injuries and make the most of the rest periods provide by the international breaks. Our problem is always the fixture pile-up at the end of the year when the real cup starts as well.