Rugby Union World Cup.

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Rugby Union World Cup.

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:23 am About the same number of English players playing for the England Cricket Team , even your Captain is Irish .

The Japanese will run away with ' The Happiest Players ' Trophy . Good on them , a fantastic victory over the Irish today .

... and Ben Stokes is a kiwi
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Great result for Japan today. Can really see it going big over there
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:29 am Great result for Japan today. Can really see it going big over there
Great performance too from what I saw, which was basically the 2nd half.
I enjoyed their desire to run from anywhere, good to watch. 8-)
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:18 am Just as a matter of interest, how many Japanese players do Japan have in their rugby team? As they lined up for their national anthem, I counted about 6, including two named Moore and Thompson, good old, traditional Japanese names those
Michael Leach, their former captain, is New Zealander with a Fijian mother who moved to Japan as a 15 year old, so has every right to play for Japan Puff, these things are not always black and white.

I'm not sure about the others, but the fact is pretty all international sport is open to mercenaries who play for money, not necessarily for their home country.

I doubt there are many teams in the competition made up entirely of players born in that country. The exceptions being the pacific islanders, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, South Africa and possibly Argentina.

Many of those of course are like the Vunipola brothers who came here as children and grew up here, others like Heinz and Tuilagi came here to play rugby.
The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:23 am
About the same number of English players playing for the England Cricket Team , even your Captain is Irish .
ToMoS you do realise that its the England & Wales cricket Board, Welsh players (Robert Croft for example) play for England as there is no separate Wales Cricket team so he's your captain too :wink:

However, you've also picked on the wrong team (IMO) and Morgan is only the ODI captain and is actually the only mercenary in the team.
Ben Stokes moved to England as a 12 year old when his father moved here to coach Rugby League, he's now 28 so has lived in England longer than he did in New Zealand.
Jason Roy moved here as a 10 year old when his family moved here and has also lived here longer than he lived in South Africa.
Both learned to play cricket in England.

Jofra Archer has an English father and is therefore eligible to play for England if he so wishes.

So by my reckoning that's one non-Englishman they have playing for the ODI team and none playing for the Test side.

The England Rugby team have more as they have two, Heinz and Tuilagi.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

I don't take any pleasure in watching a sport whereby one country stuffs another far less fortunate than themselves by a whopping 54 clear points as the Springboks did today
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:44 pm I don't take any pleasure in watching a sport whereby one country stuffs another far less fortunate than themselves by a whopping 54 clear points as the Springboks did today
Don’t watch it then
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

3times wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:14 pm

One thing that did bother me about yesterday was the '50' point fever. Once the 80 was up we should have kicked dead rather than go for more points. Ne need and led to us conceding the try. Poor game management.
Yeah that really pissed me off at the end....lots of reasons to just kick it out and walk off job done....not so many to do what they did. Suspect EJ will have been more pissed off about conceding that try than he let on after the game
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Eggchaser wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:31 pm

ToMoS you do realise that its the England & Wales cricket Board, Welsh players (Robert Croft for example) play for England as there is no separate Wales Cricket team so he's your captain too :wink:

However, you've also picked on the wrong team (IMO) and Morgan is only the ODI captain and is actually the only mercenary in the team.
Ben Stokes moved to England as a 12 year old when his father moved here to coach Rugby League, he's now 28 so has lived in England longer than he did in New Zealand.

Yeah , I knew it was the England and Wales Cricket Board but it's an England International Cricket Team , nothing at all to do with Wales , don't get me wrong I'd be happy for it to be called England & Wales but it isn't .

As for Ben Stokes being English then that makes me completely Scottish . :D

22 years in Wales - 32 years in Scotland .

It was only a lighthearted response to Puff , mate - I know that the Welsh Football team contains English born lads same as the Wales Rugby Union Squad . :thup:
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I think you've a good point TOMOS, especially if it means Colin and his team of sh*theads get booted out and have to play AirbusUK and Caersyws every week....Berwick Rangers can come and struggle in the North Northumberland junior combination....seems fair enough!

Back on topic, big game this morning for the Welsh, not sure just how good the Aussies are...soon find out..
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Tenbury wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:22 am I think you've a good point TOMOS, especially if it means Colin and his team of sh*theads get booted out and have to play AirbusUK and Caersyws every week....Berwick Rangers can come and struggle in the North Northumberland junior combination....seems fair enough!

Back on topic, big game this morning for the Welsh, not sure just how good the Aussies are...soon find out..
It seems your getting your answer here. Not very good
Patito

Post by Patito »

Hooper is a prick isn’t he? A special player quality-wise but he’s a prick. Aussies lucky not to have been carded.

Wales are rampant. Cymru am byth!
Patito

Post by Patito »

Eddie Jones watching on wearing a Texans cap, Cuenc will be pleased! :D
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Patito wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:57 am Eddie Jones watching on wearing a Texans cap, Cuenc will be pleased! :D

He'd want Aus to win wouldn't he ?
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:12 am As for Ben Stokes being English then that makes me completely Scottish . :D

22 years in Wales - 32 years in Scotland .
I reckon you should go for it mate, you'd have good chance of getting in their football team :lol:
The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:12 am It was only a lighthearted response to Puff , mate - I know that the Welsh Football team contains English born lads same as the Wales Rugby Union Squad . :thup
No worries mate, its a bit of pet peeve of mine as you might have guessed :D
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Had a feeling that Aus would claw their way back into this. Not many 'errors' but Wales just gave away a needless 3 points
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

Patito wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:41 am Hooper is a prick isn’t he? A special player quality-wise but he’s a prick. Aussies lucky not to have been carded.
He's a horrible snide little c***, thinks he's the new Richie McCaw but isn't as good.

Should definitely have been a card for his challenge on Biggar.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Decent game, somehow I think there's nothing here to worry Eng/Ire/SA/All Blacks.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Tenbury wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:43 am Decent game, somehow I think there's nothing here to worry Eng/Ire/SA/All Blacks.

Japan would beat that lot .
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

It felt less Wales being brilliant and more Australia being ****.

Certainly, both are beatable if England makes the QF and turn up.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Not seen a game this tournament more riddled with mistakes than this Scotland Samoa match.