Goodbye, Sebastien Haller

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Phil S
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Re: Welcome, Sebastien Haller

Post by Phil S » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:10 pm

he's the real deal

Thoroughly enjoyed watching him batter the Man U defence yesterday
Finally an outlet who can hold up the ball, keep possession and bring players in to play
He may not score 20 but he's going to be a massive part of our team this season

Love him

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Puff Daddy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:11 pm

AmzP wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:06 pm
He didn’t play against Brighton so actually 3 in 5. City game was a write off but he did play well in that. Think everyone needs to take a page from his book and look up and see who else is in a better position. Anderson has been guilty of taking a shot on when a square across the box may have been the better option

Including one in the second half yesterday, which was not picked up on by the Sky commentators

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1436 likes
Total likes: 2422 likes

Post by S-H » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 pm

"A big immobile lump"

stu1
Has liked: 142 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by stu1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:21 pm

I think he looks class even in the games he doesn’t score.

I do believe the rest of the team could do more to help him though. Despite a very positive performance yesterday he didn’t really get much service and it’s not the first time this season.

If Haller has opportunities then I’m confident he’ll score but he seems to be feeding off scraps a fair amount t of the time. Hopefully as players like Anderson and Lanzini get use to playing with him that will improve.

London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:25 pm

stu1 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:21 pm

I do believe the rest of the team could do more to help him though. Despite a very positive performance yesterday he didn’t really get much service and it’s not the first time this season.

If Haller has opportunities then I’m confident he’ll score but he seems to be feeding off scraps a fair amount t of the time. Hopefully as players like Anderson and Lanzini get use to playing with him that will improve.
I agree. They haven't quite worked out how to work around him.
I'd also like to see him in the box more and us delivering some crosses.
But he is clearly class - the kind of striker Man U needed yesterday?

Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 pm

stu1 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Totally agree, but on the flip side we beat a top six (not for much longer) side without one of our most influential players (Lanzini) and we weren't dependent on goals from our main striker.

Too often in the past both of these happening did not end in a good outcome.

hammerman11
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by hammerman11 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:36 pm

HE SEEMED TO WIN EVERY HEADER YESTERDAY AND MOST OF THE TIME FIND ONE OF OUR PLAYERS. WE JUST NEED TO GET HIM IN ON GOAL A BIT MORE AS HE HAS NO SERVICE FOR HIMSELF.

great addition and we finally have someone up front who is not a sulk like arnie or lazy like Hernandez.

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1436 likes
Total likes: 2422 likes

Post by S-H » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:39 pm

hammerman11 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:36 pm
HE SEEMED TO WIN EVERY HEADER YESTERDAY AND MOST OF THE TIME FIND ONE OF OUR PLAYERS. WE JUST NEED TO GET HIM IN ON GOAL A BIT MORE AS HE HAS NO SERVICE FOR HIMSELF.

Estuary
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Hockley Hammer wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 pm
Totally agree, but on the flip side we beat a top six (not for much longer) side without one of our most influential players (Lanzini) and we weren't dependent on goals from our main striker.

Too often in the past both of these happening did not end in a good outcome.
My thoughts on the game exactly.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:18 pm

on the match thread I gave him a very close second to Yarmo for MotM.

considering he got naff all to work with except loads of balls aimed at his chest and/or noggin.

thought he was brilliant.

claretnblueglasses
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by claretnblueglasses » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Absolutely glorious footballer. To be his size and still have the delicacy that he does when he’s on the ball is quite something.

However, does anyone else think he seems a bit hesitant to shoot at times? He brings other players into play 9/10 but there were a few times during the game where I wish he’d have gone for goal instead.

Ozza
Has liked: 128 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Ozza » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:28 pm

We need to find a way to give him more chances (imho)

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:43 pm

Ozza wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:28 pm
amazed that he has 3 goals, let alone scored at all.

we've given him crumbs to feed on. still the plus side is that others are scoring and we are not losing ground. he will have to get better chances eventually one would hope but right now his battling away with little or no support.

several times he was wide on the wing trying to hold onto the ball....

fantastically intelligent player though and the complete opposite to the selfish (and oft complaining) Arnautovic.

Al Fisti
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Al Fisti » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:49 pm

Ozza wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:28 pm
Absolutely :thup:

DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:52 pm

He's arguably a little too unselfish. He needs to be hitting the one that he stepped over for Fornals today, but what a player.

BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:01 pm

We're attacking at half-tilt at the minute.
When we get Lanzini, Anderson and Yarmalenko (or (or Antonio / Fornals) playing off him properly we'll set up chances for him.
I think we're still a little hesitant to push players past him as we try and navigate the best balance of defence/attack.
He looks excellent thus far for me and a much better team player than Arnautovic, if a little less explosive, but probably more consistent

Phil S
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Phil S » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:51 pm

Heard in the stand at Oxford...

"he's better do something tonight as he's done f*** all in the last 2 games" :lol:

Maybe I'm wrong, I just think he's top drawer
His touch is just so good, he's intelligent and is aware of what's around him.
I don't mind him not scoring, he does everything else so well

Korea Hammer
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Korea Hammer » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:36 pm

His link up play has been top class, but there were definitely a couple of chance to let fly yesterday that he could have taken.

funky chicken
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by funky chicken » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:32 pm

I don't expect him to be a 15-20 goal a season striker.

But IF he stays fit for the rest of the season I can see him scoring up to 12-14 goals. And having quite a few assists.

As I have said before he for me is the Andy Carroll we were hoping we would be getting. Only he is quicker than Carroll and so far thankfully fitter too.

A good team player and has equally helped us tighten up defensively as well as improved our front 3.

When we were vulnerable and defending set pieces last season, he has added more height to the team and has helped head the ball away when especially defending corners. :thup:

The only risk having this kind of striker is it will make us rely heavily on other players also chipping in with goals, which was one of our biggest failures from last season. Last season we relied heavily on Arnautovic and Anderson to chip in with goals.

We need Yarmo to keep it up chipping in with at least 10 goals and a few assists this season. We need Antonio and Ajeti to chip in with goals when given a chance. Wneed Anderson to keep up his parts in goals and to start chipping in with more goals this season. We need Lanzini to be more ruthless and chip in with at least 8 goals and a few assists. We need Noble and Rice to chip in with more goals. Our centre halves to start heading in more goals from corners and freekicks as they both didn't do this enough last season.

This is one area we must improve on this season if we want to have a good season. The rest of the team must keep chipping in with goals, like Cresswell and Yarmo have been doing the last 2 goals. And we must keep this up! :thup:

wizzo_66
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by wizzo_66 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:48 pm

We are still attacking like Haller is an Arnie type, running channels and pressing the opposition.

He finds himself isolated and will continue to until we adapt and get players a bit closer to him.

Arnie could operate without a player within 30 yards of him. Haller can't but has other strengths.

He does need to pull the trigger more as others have said. Touches are neat but does seem to panic (ina controlled way if that makes sense!) if he has too much time to think.