Roberto Jimenez

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Metal Hammer

Re: Roberto Jimenez

Post by Metal Hammer » Fri May 31, 2019 6:46 pm

Briggsy wrote:Spent his career playing in Spain & Portugal. Bet he can't wait to sit on the bench in Stratford during the winter.
I'm pretty sure Olympiakos is in neither of those countries :eh:

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer » Fri May 31, 2019 6:58 pm

hammers92 wrote:I'm getting a bit concerned about the number of non British players we're looking at, are we not at our limit yet?
Been thinking that for ages. What is the limit per squad?

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Fri May 31, 2019 8:48 pm

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Fri May 31, 2019 9:03 pm

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Fri May 31, 2019 9:12 pm

Thats his best so far...

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NN_k_aF2hYs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson » Fri May 31, 2019 9:16 pm

Cheaper salary than Adrian I presume

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Fri May 31, 2019 9:27 pm

If he is thinking of going into coaching, it's good him to sample various leagues and styles too, not sure if he is but just mentioning that

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Fri May 31, 2019 9:30 pm

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6CtNZ3gUQqA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

And against Sevilla 2016...
[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SNZ5gIFQR7A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Taken from an interview with a now ex team mate of Roberto's:
-I asked one of the kids on campus who makes better friends at Espanyol and answered him in the past, referring to Roberto, the goalkeeper. Did the subconscious betray you?

Is not he going to stay there?-Is not that. Roberto has left Espanyol. A week ago, more or less, he announced his signing for West Ham and I feel sorry. We live in the same building, we have a lot of treatment both on and off the field, and he is a person who has given me a lot. He has taken care of me as if he were a little brother to him. That's why I talked in the past, about Roberto, because he's a special uncle for me. I am very fond of him and I wish him well.
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/d ... 157500.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aaronhammer

Post by aaronhammer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:34 pm

Rather than the Fabianski injury thread being hijacked, I thought I'd post my thoughts on Roberto here.

Having seen him a couple of times now in the flesh I'm starting to form an opinion. Clearly his distribution is a concern. His kicking so far has lacked accuracy, in both direction and length. Hopefully the more he plays and trains as the man with the gloves this will improve as other players get used to where he might be kicking it to. He, although much like Fabianski, has lacked speedy distribution too, perhaps this therefore stems from the manager.

A wider concern for me is that he stays on his line a bit too much (also read as not coming out quickly enough), this makes it tougher to get to shots in the corners, although it meant he made a very good one on one save on Saturday. He has though pulled off some very good reaction saves, so hopefully this is a strong part of his game

I can't say he inspires me with confidence, but he'll have my support to do the best!

Patito

Post by Patito » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:42 pm

3-time Greek Superleague winner! :scarfer:

Signed from Atletico Madrid by Benfica for €8.5 million.

Represented Spain at every youth level.

Show us what you've got Roberto!

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:03 pm

I think people are mistaking 'not as good as Fabianski' for 'not very good'.

He'll be a step down but who wouldnt be?

It's up to our defence to shield him, and if he doesn't pull off the incredible saves that Fabianski can that's not his fault.

We're very fortunate to have someone as good as Fabiasnki as our number one, we shouldn't take the frustration of that out on our number 2.

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:16 pm

I'm not confusing anything. Each time this guy has played he's looked out of his depth and that's been against lower league sides.

He was shocking the other night against Oxford.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:23 pm

Billydinho wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:16 pm
I'm not confusing anything. Each time this guy has played he's looked out of his depth and that's been against lower league sides.

He was shocking the other night against Oxford.
Who wasn't shocking against Oxford? Training and playing as the No1 keeper must be a lot easier than being put in goal behind a defence which doesn't usually play. We'll see over the next few weeks what he's like. He's played at a decent standard throughout his career, let's hope he can step up now

ereford ammer

Post by ereford ammer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:49 pm

thejackhammer wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:03 pm
I think people are mistaking 'not as good as Fabianski' for 'not very good'.

He'll be a step down but who wouldnt be?

It's up to our defence to shield him, and if he doesn't pull off the incredible saves that Fabianski can that's not his fault.

We're very fortunate to have someone as good as Fabiasnki as our number one, we shouldn't take the frustration of that out on our number 2.
Well said :thup:

WCpete

Post by WCpete » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:54 pm

I just woke up and saw the news. I’m going back to bed.

madhammer

Post by madhammer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:57 pm

As others have rightly pointed out, as long as he's wearing the claret and blue he will have my full support.

However, having watched him in some of our friendlies, against both Newport and Oxford in the cup and during the warm-ups i find some of his movements, handling and decision making as a goal keeper quite unusual and erratic.

With a run in the team this might settle down, or it might be that these idiosyncrasies come to be more familiar or that I'm unfairly judging him against the exceptional standards and relative calmness Fabianski has set. However this can only be seen as a huge blow loosing our best and most consistent performer.

It will be interesting to see how/if he steps up, especially given the positive start we've made to the season.

stu1

Post by stu1 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Whilst he has looked rather poor in his limited appearances for us both in pre-season and competitively, surely his career so far suggests he can’t be that bad?

For a back up keeper he’s CV is pretty impressive.

Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:19 pm

stu1 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:04 pm
For a back up keeper he’s CV is pretty impressive.
Plenty of poor keepers who have made good careers as back ups at decent clubs.

Not saying he is poor for clarification.

I imagine he will be much the same as Adrian at Liverpool, few shaky appearances, and then settle into it.

delbert

Post by delbert » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:58 pm

aaronhammer wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:34 pm
Clearly his distribution is a concern. His kicking so far has lacked accuracy, in both direction and length. Hopefully the more he plays and trains as the man with the gloves this will improve as other players get used to where he might be kicking it to.
It's a bit of a show stopper if they have to keep running into the stands to receive the ball........!!