Rugby Union World Cup.

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Re: Rugby Union World Cup.

Post by pablo jaye »

sendô wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:48 am It felt less Wales being brilliant and more Australia being ****.

Certainly, both are beatable if England makes the QF and turn up.
Yes, both The Aussies and Welsh looked a bit ordinary and I’m not convinced by England yet, having only played the lowest seeds in the group.

So far, it’s a Kiwi v Saffer final for me
Patito

Post by Patito »

France 33-9 USA.

Thought France were awful tbh.

Some nice kicking from Lopez early on but apart from that, a couple of late-ish tries papered over a poor performance.
Patito

Post by Patito »

All Blacks were unplayable start of the second half there.

Players in general really seem to be having issues holding onto the ball in this tournament. Something to do with the humidity perhaps?
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Weren’t the Barrett brothers having a competition to see who could have the most ridiculous spill .... Beauden won it at the end of the match when he was flattered by the invisible man!

Totally pointless game ... not sure how the Canadians would have benefitted at all. Like a Prem team playing a Sunday league division 5 side.

Too many one sided games in the WC, although Japan appear to be bridging the gap.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

This is a ridiculously ****ing drawn out ****ing bore of a ****ing thing , is it not ?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Should make it like the cricket WC and just have teams in it that can actually play Rugby and have half a chance of making the QF.

Even allowing for the Japs coming good, and Argentina being a much better team than a few years back, it's still likely to be England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland/France/Aus/NZ/SA in the QF.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

sendô wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:56 am
Even allowing for the Japs coming good, and Argentina being a much better team than a few years back, it's still likely to be England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland/France/Aus/NZ/SA in the QF.
Only change there is that I can see the Japs getting through at the expense of Ireland or Scotland, most probably Scotland.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:28 am This is a ridiculously ****ing drawn out ****ing bore of a ****ing thing , is it not ?
Not ******* at **** all. Generally the games have been very entertaining. OK, so many of the teams are not to the standard of the top 8, but I like my Rugby and how are they going to participate in the growth of the game without including the, so called, lesser teams. Also, as a primarily football fan, Rugby Union is miles more physical/brutal than football, so needs a longer gap between games. I can fully understand, if you don't like Rugby, finding it boring. Then don't watch.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:41 pm Not ******* at **** all. Generally the games have been very entertaining. OK, so many of the teams are not to the standard of the top 8, but I like my Rugby and how are they going to participate in the growth of the game without including the, so called, lesser teams. Also, as a primarily football fan, Rugby Union is miles more physical/brutal than football, so needs a longer gap between games. I can fully understand, if you don't like Rugby, finding it boring. Then don't watch.
No, wrong on all counts. I actually quite like rugby. My understanding of this Rugby World Cup tournament is, The IRFU want to expand the game to a worldwide audience and in doing so, get more counties and therefore, more people playing the game,I get that, I really do, but to me, seeing one country completely stuff another is not entertainment. As I write this, The Wallabies are making mincemeat of Uruguay. No doubt, at some future date, there will be a levelling out in standards as there has been in football, where even countries like Andorra are no longer, walkovers and this is the very essence of my point, whatever happened in football to achieve that levelling in standards needs to be applied in rugby and in my opinion, quick, for the neutrals to switch on their TV sets
sendô

Post by sendô »

I thought we were the 11:30 game for some reason.

Arse.

Oh well, BP win and qualified for QF. England at least seem to be building momentum, hopefully we can carry that into the France game, top the group, and put ourselves in a good position for Australia (I assume) in the quarters.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Good win ,if unspectacular. Squad was rotated, Game management was the priority once we had the bonus point.
But.... Farrel was rubbish: poor kicking and terrible decision-making. How many times was he caught dithering? I would have subbed him off after 50 minutes....
Red card totally warranted but it was a shame,as it killed the game as a contest
Next up: France for our first real contest. They have played a total of about 20 minutes of decent rugby so far and should not pose a serious threat if we can weather the storm. We need to be tested before the knockout stages. France could be ideal...
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

sendô wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:24 am I thought we were the 11:30 game for some reason.

Arse.

Oh well, BP win and qualified for QF. England at least seem to be building momentum, hopefully we can carry that into the France game, top the group, and put ourselves in a good position for Australia (I assume) in the quarters.
You didn't miss a great game tbh.
England played well at times, but there were still too many inaccuracies.

The red card ruined it as a spectacle, but it was a correct decision and I doubt Argentina would have been good enough anyway as they were a bit flat.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

What did concern me was how 14 man Argentina exploited the gaps in 15 man England's defence to score a try.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Bit too much of a score gap for that to be a thriller. Did take ages for England to get to the try line after the sending off. Japan / Samoa has been a good one.
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

sendô wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:56 am Should make it like the cricket WC and just have teams in it that can actually play Rugby and have half a chance of making the QF.

Whilst I agree there are some mismatches during the tournament, its actually very rare that there isn't at least one of the "2nd tier" nations that reach the quarter finals.

Quarter Finalists
1987 Fiji (SA did not play)
1991 (Western) Samoa and Canada (SA did not play, Wales knocked out)
1995 (Western) Samoa (Wales knocked out)
1999 Argentina (Ireland eliminated)
2003 the 8 that you named.
2007 Fiji and Argentina (Wales & Ireland eliminated)
2011 Argentina (Scotland eliminated)
2015 Argentina (England eliminated)

So actually there has only ever been two tournaments where there wasn't a "surprise" qualifier and Argentina have dropped off in the last couple of years, not got better. (Tonga is the only game they've won this year!)

It would be quite boring if we started at the quarter final stage for me.

I'm watching Japan v Samoa at the moment and its a good match.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Yeah, fair enough.

England were a bit unlucky in 2015 given the group we got, especially as we all know the Taffs play at 200% against us.

It's a shame Argentina have gone backwards a bit. Italy did the same after at one point looking like they were about to bridge that gap. The more capable nations there are the more interesting it is.

I'd be happy enough to see another northern hemisphere team win it.
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

Yeah, its a shame England didn't react to hosting the tournament the way Japan have! Makes life interesting for Scotland :lol:

It is a shame that Argentina & Italy have dropped off, but Italy are changing their style of play and will hopefully come back even more strongly. Argentina do have good coaches so hopefully they'll rebuild too, I think they are also reluctant to select players from overseas at the moment preferring to have the majority of their players in the Jaguares Super 15 side, which restricts their options a bit.

I have to agree with Pablo though, my money is also on NZ v SA in the final.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

Post by alf git »

I think the red card affected England more than it did Argentina. They started the match with nothing to lose and being a player down didn't change that.
A professional if uninspiring win at the end of the day.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Our group decider could well and up as a 0-0 draw, as Typhoon Hagibis his closing in. One of the fastest intensifying tropical storms in recent history.
If this is the case we will qualify top.
It could also knock out the scotch if their game against Japan is called off. Good job they're not the sorts to get a chip on their shoulder....
sendô

Post by sendô »

As funny as it'd be, it' be a bit unfair and something of a travesty if the final round of games were all called off and settled as draws.