West Ham Utd 1-2 Crystal Palace (05/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Crystal Palace: Match Thread

Post by steps »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:48 am It’s a **** result and hurt more as we’ve blown the chance to to go 4th, but what sort of standards have been set if Yarmo and Noble were poor yesterday? I don’t think either were.
I think they were both ineffective, wouldn’t say poor. But Palace set out to frustrate us and did their best to not let us play. We struggle to break down compact teams.

We haven’t got a player who can unlock defences. Anderson and Lanzini should be doing it but we’re failing to see it against the likes of Palace, Bournemouth, Villa etc. I know it’s a bit an overused excuse but maybe Antonio could of bulldozed his way through, he is our plan b, without him we don’t really have one.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Palace are not going to be winning the FA Cup or finishing high enough to qualify for Europe, this season. I'm really not sure that we will either.
We are still not good enough. We are not strong enough or consistent enough as a team & we don't have a strong enough squad.
I could maybe accept that result away at Palace but not at home.
Yes, we ARE a better team than of 16/17 & 17/18 but blimey, we were poor then.
We STILL have too many players that aren't good enough & need to go & be replaced with better, IF we want to achieve anything.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

I know it sounds fickle to say it but losses like that make you look back and realise actually yes we have been picking up half decent results but we have been very average since the Norwich game and it was going to catch up with us sooner or later. It pains me to say it but as good as Anderson, Lanzini etc are I do think they lack winner's mentality and therefore that killer instinct.
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

I know knee jerk after one freakish result. However what was the owners net spend this summer 20 million tops wages slashed. Yesterday was a match when Hernandez would have been good to bring on. We are truly in trouble if baller or rice get injured. apparently we are looking to do no business in January we will never improve with these owners we are being outspent by brighton and Bournemouth.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Samba wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:42 pm Palace are not going to be winning the FA Cup or finishing high enough to qualify for Europe, this season. I'm really not sure that we will either.
We are still not good enough. We are not strong enough or consistent enough as a team & we don't have a strong enough squad.
I could maybe accept that result away at Palace but not at home.
Yes, we ARE a better team than of 16/17 & 17/18 but blimey, we were poor then.
We STILL have too many players that aren't good enough & need to go & be replaced with better, IF we want to achieve anything.
I agree. In your opinion who are the players that you refer to in the last sentence ?
Aitch
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Aitch »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:54 pm Cahill > pocket> Haller
Cahill > hole in pocket > Haller GOAL
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Aitch wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:55 pm Cahill > hole in pocket > Haller GOAL
Correct
Sliema1990
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Sliema1990 »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:58 pm Correct

Haller is making all the right moves,Winning a lot of aerial duals,and ****ing on to who ? Are Anderson and Lanzini the runners? If they are,then why are they not even close.Look at the scousers.They work as a front 3, Would also say we are far too slow at closing down.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I think it was also a game that shows why people talk about squads not just first elevens. There is nothing wrong with needing more from your bench, but we lacked the options. It was too samey, and it's why Antonio was looking so important early in the season. He's different to what we've got.

I get why Zaba is the bench full back, playing comfortably both sides in emergencies, but Masuaku should be on the bench at the moment as we need some pace alternative. Snodgrass, Wilshere and Fornals on the bench is a waste.

We're a striker short, too.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

neathiron wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:33 pm This all day long. I lost count of the times I shouted at the tv yesterday saying "for **** sake get it forward". They were beyond, especially the 1st half where they seemed to pass back and fore to each other way too many times.

I noticed a stat on that looking at Tielemans at Leicester.

Tielemans'
Passes - 423
Forward - 135
Backwards - 70

Lanzini
Passes - 318
Forward - 75
Backward - 76

Nowhere near good enough from Lanzini.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Watched the game back and last weeks game.

In both games we set up to use wide players with the overlap. We hit the ball to the wing, the fullback overlaps then the fullback plays the short pass inside the opposition fullback to our winger who started the move.

If that move isn't on the winger plays a ball back to our centre back on or around the halfway line who holds the ball until the fullback tracks back.

EVERY ball is based around this tactic on both sides of the pitch.

When we are forced into a clearance from the back, Haller comes deep, takes the header and the wingers bust a gut to pick up the second ball.

The problem is that when we lose the ball or misplace a pass, then our centre backs or Rice has to come across to the full back position to mop up.

We leave huge gaps in the centre which our returning fullbacks try to fill. The ball is then played in behind them and we have panic in our own penalty area. It's positive for us as an attacking force and can be awful defending. It's why we get the ball played across our six yard box with no one there to defend.

The problem Yesterday was that Lanzini was playing a deeper role where he wants to run with the ball and lost possession and Noble was the player further forward because of his passing ability to the wings.

Fornals canno't play with the same skill and technique going for the first plan. as Yarmolenko and Anderson. Zabaleta doesn't have Cresswells speed going up and down the pitch.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

steps wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:36 pm
We haven’t got a player who can unlock defences
Heard it all now.
All teams struggle to unlock well organised teams.
The billionaire clubs with world class players just about manage it. Everyone else find it difficult.
Yesterday we could have won 3-0 quite easily and none of this nonsense would have been spouted.
Our issue yesterday was letting in two soft goals and not making enough of the chances we made.
My first action would be to tell Haller he isnt allowed to make a tackle in his own half.
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Although I despise him, the first thing Zaha does ( before looking for fouls ) when he gets the ball is look to take it forward and commit defenders, Lanzini for us tends to turn and play it back or sideways, he's supposed to be one of our flair players. imho.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

mushy wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:41 pm Heard it all now.
All teams struggle to unlock well organised teams.
The billionaire clubs with world class players just about manage it. Everyone else find it difficult.
Yesterday we could have won 3-0 quite easily and none of this nonsense would have been spouted.
Our issue yesterday was letting in two soft goals and not making enough of the chances we made.
My first action would be to tell Haller he isnt allowed to make a tackle in his own half.
But Mushy, we didn't win 3-0, or 2-0, or 1-0. We lost 2-1. Whilst not playing particularly well. And that's against Crystal f@@@@@g Palace.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

BondsoBob wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:06 pm But Mushy, we didn't win 3-0, or 2-0, or 1-0. We lost 2-1. Whilst not playing particularly well. And that's against Crystal f@@@@@g Palace.
A team that are above us in the table.
It just wasnt our day mate.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

BondsoBob wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:06 pm But Mushy, we didn't win 3-0, or 2-0, or 1-0. We lost 2-1. Whilst not playing particularly well. And that's against Crystal f@@@@@g Palace.
People put too much emphasis on the name of the club. Hodgson has put together a really good team there (in comparison to the resources)
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Any club with serious ambitions of breaking into the top six has got to be upset about losing at home to the likes of Palace. And that's not arrogance, it's just a fact.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

It’s soo annoying that we chocked again - we could have been properly 3rd in the table going into the international break :(
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Aitch wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:52 pm Although I despise him, the first thing Zaha does ( before looking for fouls ) when he gets the ball is look to take it forward and commit defenders, Lanzini for us tends to turn and play it back or sideways, he's supposed to be one of our flair players. imho.
Agree with this.

Our goal yesterday was brilliant, about 20 passes led to us scoring. But it took a mammoth effort. We try and over-complicate things, we don’t have that one player who can open teams up and take players on.

We had one shot on target against Villa.

One shot.
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:26 pm It’s soo annoying that we chocked again - we could have been properly 3rd in the table going into the international break :(
Chocks away :arry: