Season ticket misuse – need some advice

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Boooogers!

Re: Season ticket misuse – need some advice

Post by Boooogers! » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:24 pm

Johnzo wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:33 pm
Garbage. Away tickets are a closed shop but home aren't. Plenty of way to get tickets via Claret Membership, ticket exchange or purchase of tickets from genuine fans at FV or sometimes less. No excuse for a tout to exploit the few Band 5 ST available and then profit selling each game.
40 quid for claret membership? No thanks.

If I can only make it over for 1 or 2 games a year then that's a massive premium on the price of the ticket. It's just gouging by the club - I'd rather hand the extra few quid over to a hard working, honest tout than David Sullivan :wink:

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:36 pm

The London Stadium is the only sports ground I haven't seen touting outside of.

With thousands of empty seats every single week, why would any "tout" waste their time and risk their capital at a venue where margins would be slim to negative ?

Hot on the heels of the ticketing discussions over the past 10 days I find this thread dubious.

Col Hammer

Post by Col Hammer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 pm

the pink palermo wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:36 pm
The London Stadium is the only sports ground I haven't seen touting outside of
There is usually a line of them straight outside Stratford station so there must be a trade for it...can't believe they get away with it tbh as it's so blatent

Row X

Post by Row X » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 pm

Col Hammer wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 pm
There is usually a line of them straight outside Stratford station so there must be a trade for it...can't believe they get away with it tbh as it's so blatent
Probably so far away from the venue that it doesn't count :lol:

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 pm

^^^^
Not my route so I've never seen it.

Most people I know who end up with a spare ticket can't give it away.

bubbles1966
Location: A pessimist confronted with a challenge, sees a problem; an optimist sees an opportunity.

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 pm

the pink palermo wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 pm
^^^^
Not my route so I've never seen it.

Most people I know who end up with a spare ticket can't give it away.
Must have been 10 of them there Saturday night - right next to the station.

God knows what Plod are up to.

Alan Pardew's Dad

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:20 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 pm

God knows what Plod are up to.
Clearing Crusties from their hemp smelling bivouacs, I’d imagine :)

GreenIron

Post by GreenIron » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:39 pm

Tenbury wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 pm
If somebody chose to prevent the missus from sitting next to me ,I'd buy them the bloody ticket.
:lol:

ChzMff

Post by ChzMff » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:04 pm

Two seats to my right have different people in every game (definitely Man Utd fans at the recent home fixture) yet when I’ve enquired about moving mates down to them in the past I’ve been told by the box office that they’re taken. Now either they’re telling porkie pies in fear that my pals are moving to a lower band, a STH just sells them on or they are actually one of a small number on general sale. Funny enough it’s in the same area as the original poster mentioned.

whuisa_bonds_H

Post by whuisa_bonds_H » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:03 pm

Could the tickets for the affected seats be owned by bondholders? At the Boelyn I was never able to get the seat directly beside my family as it was taken by a bondholder.
LeftFootWonder wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Hi all
I’ve had a season ticket for the last 4 seasons right on the corner of the Trevor Brooking and Billy Bonds stand – the cheap seats. We’re 5th generation West Ham fans.

The problem is I’ve never sat next to the same person twice in all this time. I’m told it’s a season ticket holder as I’ve tried to get my wife and daughters season tickets moved next to me and been told I can’t.

In the last two games I’ve finally asked “the strangers” that sit next to me where they’ve been getting their tickets from, and I was told this weekend that they got them from a tout outside the ground.

So I can only decipher that the person who has those seats is printing their tickets, then standing outside the ground and selling them for an inflated price.

Am I wrong for being a bit miffed?

Firstly I want the seats for my wife and daughter so we can all sit together, but secondly whatever my personal wishes, the idea of these seats was to make football affordable for all, and now someone is ripping genuine fans off (or am I over reacting?).

I want the club to stamp this out straight away, am I right? Should I go to the club to highlight this?

Cheers all for your thoughts and COYI

mushy

Post by mushy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:03 pm

Rule number one.
Don't believe anything at all that the ticket office tells you.
They may even be reserved for the old Thomas Cook ticket allocation or even The mayor of Newham tickets.

LeftFootWonder

Post by LeftFootWonder » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:48 am

Boooogers! wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:16 pm
So you want someone else's ticket that they paid for so your wife can sit next to you?

If I buy something, it should be up to me to use it how I choose.

If someone is willing to pay an inflated price for a seat then that's also their right - the market will dictate what the price will be.

From my own personal perspective, being an exiled Hammer overseas, it's becoming obvious that getting tickets home or away for West Ham is almost a closed shop. How am I, and others in my position ever going to get to a game if there isn't a black market for tickets?
Hey, thanks for your thoughts. I don't disagree with you entirely, especially your justifications. If someone was genuinely a supporter who couldn't make it to many games, sold the ticket back but came along when they could I'd have no hard feelings at all. I need to establish more facts as per someone else's post, but if it turns out these guys are preventing genuine fans getting STs or tickets through the right channels (which in turn hurts you and your situation as described) then I don't think that's right and stands against everything the club is attempting to do by making football more affordable.

Thinking out loud - why not start a forum for WH fans living abroad (if there isn't one already), when you know you're coming to the UK you could post and if someone can't attend their game maybe a ST holder would be happy to forward you their ticket. I know I'd be up for that if we couldn't make a game and could help out a fellow hammer.

LeftFootWonder

Post by LeftFootWonder » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:57 am

Row X wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:18 pm
Before we all jump to conclusions.

You asked the last two games, and you only say that this weekend was from touts. What did the people say the game before?

Maybe the person that owns them has a serious health issue and has been unable to attend games due to this, but they don't want to give up their seat and are constantly putting them on ticket exchange... maybe this weekend the tickets were snapped up by a tout?

Think you need to ask a few more times before you go contacting the Ticket Office. If there is a pattern of 'got them off a tout outside', then fair enough go to the Ticket Office and let them know. Not sure you should be doing it after one time being told it.
Hello mate,
I agree, you are right and this is a sensible approach. I need to ask a few more times and establish some facts. Exactly why I posted to try and get a more rational view before jumping the gun.

The first guys I asked hesitated before answering me and said they'd got them through a colleague at work, but it didn't smell right. If true I don't have a problem with an office buying a ST and sharing among their staff I think that's a nice thing for a company to do. But I don't think that's what's happening here, but I'll stick it out for a few more games and make sure I ask every time (I never give them a hard time as the people in the seats aren't there out of malice - although some have come to clearly support the opposition but have never been "out of order").

LeftFootWonder

Post by LeftFootWonder » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:00 am

Tenbury wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 pm
If somebody chose to prevent the missus from sitting next to me ,I'd buy them the bloody ticket.
HAHAHA! :lol:

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:05 am

There's a good page on twitter called west ham spares that RT tickets people have at face value. Always worth a follow.

rudekid

Post by rudekid » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 am

Re the printing out of tickets - I didn't know you could do this but you can always go to the ticket office and get tickets printed if you say you've left the ST at home.... just provide your email or postcode the season ticket is registered to, dob, client ref and they will print out the tickets for you. They always print out an adult ticket as well regardless of concessions so it's a useful way to upgrade a kids ticket without paying the excess!!!!

I'm guessing if it is touts this has probably been how they would be able to sell physical tickets in previous seasons....

ornchurch ammer

Post by ornchurch ammer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:03 am

Kialos wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:16 pm

I would imagine a tout would want to be "offgrid" and not registered anywhere.
Agreed. No tout is going to make it possible for him to be identified and tracked down.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 am

LeftFootWonder wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:48 am
Thinking out loud - why not start a forum for WH fans living abroad (if there isn't one already)...
Supporters Worldwide:

viewforum.php?f=20
Denzil wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:05 am
There's a good page on twitter called west ham spares that RT tickets people have at face value. Always worth a follow.
There's a Ticket Forum here on KUMB which records details of all sellers to prevent fraud, as often witnessed with twitter sales:

viewforum.php?f=4

Roby

Post by Roby » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:51 am

I’d 100% advise to look at the ticket forum thread that UTJ mentioned.

I bought tickets off there three times over the years and never had any problems - bought one off Chalks once and gave his card back to I think Gnome who then had to pop off for an interview sharpish.

Never seen any touts at Stratford but the ones you used to see shuffling up and down outside Upton Park station were always there.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 am

I've never seen anyone in the two seats to the left of where I am.

Literally not for any games in the last 18 months.