Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 796 likes

Re: ⚽ Everton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Korea Hammer »

I'm sorry to say I've lost my enthusiasm for this season. Somewhere between Oxford and Palace, it became apparent that another mid-table finish is inevitable.
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

Noble Man wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:15 pm Manager under pressure for a win, team struggling and not won in ages, centre forwards not scoring....... need i say more?

:scarfer:
I wonder if there is any evidence for this idea that we are the gift for struggling teams/strikers? Was talking to a Palace fan who was convinced that his team were the Santa Claus for suffering opponents.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

-DL- wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:48 pm Saturday, 19th October, Goodison park, Liverpool.

KO: 1230, on the telly.

Could go either way this one - I'd take a draw, but obviously a win would be nice.

COYI!

:crest:

the sign of a good team is how the bounce back after defeat we will see
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by likemydreams »

Sadly i feel the 3rd loss of the season incoming hope im wrong
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I would pack the midfield out for this one and play pretty much the same formation we did when we beat them last season:

---------------------------Roberto----------------------------

-Fredericks------------Diop---Ogbonna--------------Masuaku-

------------------------------Rice---------------------------------

-----------------------Noble------Snodgrass-----------------------

-Yarmolenko---------------Haller-----------------------Anderson-

Subs: Martin, Cresswell, Balbuena, Wilshere, Fornals, Lanzini, Ajeti.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Bit worried they're on a bad run but this is an important game for us to prove palace was a blip not a sign of the times
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Korea Hammer wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:25 am I'm sorry to say I've lost my enthusiasm for this season. Somewhere between Oxford and Palace, it became apparent that another mid-table finish is inevitable.
I feel the same. Not bothering with the cups again is a real let down in my book.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

One of my favourite away days.
1 all I reckon.
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Another tight game where we may well lose by a single goal unfortunately. They will see this as winnable and have a couple of players returning allegedly.

What follows is more predictable. Lanzini will be criticised for not doing enough as a number ten (despite not actually playing in that position and spending most of the game as our second deepest midfielder), comments about Anderson not doing enough going forward despite him spending most of the game supporting our left back defensively, and many will conclude that Pellegrini will have picked the wrong players/formation/subs despite not really having any plan B options on the bench because the club has been concentrating on a shiny balance sheet rather than a shiny squad.

Lots of disappointment about a ‘missed opportunity’ as a few other clubs continue to look good bets to finish above us and potentially break the top six. Little comment or criticism of our ‘mid table ambition’ wage bill and net transfer spend.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1964 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

so apart from THAT, how WAS the play Mrs. Lincoln ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

nothing like being positive. we lost once in 7

depends on their attitude and any in juries but apart from yarmolenko and rice the rest have been off so should be ok.

we need to work on our lack of intensity as we look so lazy as per usual. what is it with our players ?

I see Bournemouth, palace players running at speed to get back in position and yet we just jog mainly ?

This needs to stop if we are to do anything this season.

need some pace in the team so fredericks masuaka and Anderson to start as tey are the only ones we have who can actually run fast !

Holland on the bench for experience and winger option.

is johnson recovered from injury yet ?

any news on silva ?

iron mike back in december ? fabianski in january ?
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Cuenca, lol. I’m probably reacting partly because I seem to be watching a different game to most this season. Done a lot of travelling this week and spent the time listening to 5 different West Ham podcasts. All of them laying into Lanzini and Anderson. In Lanzini’s case they keep talking about him being no.10, the playmaker etc, etc. It makes you wonder if they have actually watched the last few games as they seem to have completely missed what position he is actually playing.

We’re a midtable team, I don’t buy into these top six expectations. I don’t believe the manager has the balanced squad or bench/depth options. I do believe the expectations are driving some over criticism of the players and manager. A draw would be an ok result imo, especially as got a feeling Everton are going to show a reaction to recent criticism against us.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I just think mate that even us old 'uns wish/think for better. and we're pretty much ALWAYS disappointed...

I don't see a top 6 or maybe even a top 8 even before Fab's injuries.

unfortunately with the squad as is, we're relying on the starting XI to play 7-8/10 every game. any failing in fairly key positions sees us draw and/or lose (obviously) but more than that, play erratic football. lurching from a 4/10 to 9/10. and those 9's can't make up for the 4's.

and with the bench we have, even allowing for Antonio there's no one to really change things around if we are chasing a game and our default position is to bring on Sanchez for 10 minutes to shore up

we have given two LB's contract extension, whereas neither is an automatic first choice, it's whoever is playing worse imvho that loses the start.

still, I'll still be watching the game, still be going backward and forward between euphoria and despair over the 90 minutes, bitching and moaning at the t.v. as if that helps, but at least it doesn't (always) spoil my entire weekend.

:D
Patito

Post by Patito »

433/4141 whatever you want to call it...

Roberto

Fredericks
Diop
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Rice

Noble
Fornals
Yarmolenko
Anderson

Haller
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:05 pm ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

so apart from THAT, how WAS the play Mrs. Lincoln ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Blimey CA, that's a bit cryptic. But very good.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

put that down to 35 years in the good ole U.S. of A. bob !!!!!!

:D

used loads of times in this type of situation !!!!!!!!!!!!!
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

That team for me too Pat, except Lanzini for Fornals - think the team almost picks itself at the moment (apart from Cress or Arthur - & even though I prefer watching Arthur, Cress has had 3 decent games in a row so should keep his spot)

I wouldn’t have Fornals starting yet. Not seen anything to suggest the fella is ready or will be anytime this side of Christmas, but have decided, rather than going with my (probably knee jerk) instinct in saying I think he’s looked utter utter gash, and out of his depth in the premier league so far, that he is in fact a young lad who’s moved to a new country and needs far more time to settle here before he’s starting games.

Lanzini & Anderson are due good games for us soon
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

agree there e-17

think Lanzini will bounce back with a really good game up there.......and Anderson needs to have a really full 90. not little patches here and there because our big lad up front needs some more clear cut chances.

admittedly he missed a "sitter" but also scored. that was really 1 out of 2 he needs more than 2 clear cut chances a game. he looks good in the air too and it doesn't look like (from memory) that we are giving him loads of those chances either. that knock down the other week that got us a goal.... let's give him some more ammunition.

oh poo !!! I have to get up early doors - didn't realise that it was an early morning start..didn't open the thread at the o.p.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

this squad depth is a myth we are two good players down and we have little left on the bench. you judge a good team by what is on the bench, how many match changers do we have on it ? few if any.

everton will come at us but if we survive the onslaught then we should be able to carve out a few chances.

I dont get why we dont put anyone near to haller or put in more crosses for him ?

roberto
fredericks diop ogbonna masuaka
noble rice lanzini
yarmolenko haller anderson

subs martin balbuena cresswell fornals ajeti wilshere holland

as I said not much on the bench; a 3rd choice keeper, balbuena is decent sub to ber fair, cresswell if he has recovered from his knock, if not a slow zabaleta, a spanish player who is off the pace at the moment, a forward who never starts in the league, a midfielder who has shown nothing,and a young winger with some pace who awaits his debut. not inspiring.

we cant afford anymore injuries !
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

So, we probably can tell this Saturday if this bunch have a spine, or we have yet another bunch of deserters on our hands.