Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Re: ⚽ Everton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:17 pm I don’t get how Everton looked fitter - what were we doing during the international break?
I said this during the Palace game, we looked absolutely ****ed from 70 minutes onwards.

A real concern.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by James P »

Ingwe wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:27 pm Pellegrini-" I am disappointed because we had a good performance". Jesus wept, if that was a good performance, how disappointed would he be on a poor performance? If he were any more laid back, they'd harvest his kidneys.
I want him to stop being disappointed by such "good performances" and kick some of those gutless players' lazy arses.
Maybe you saw a typo. On the official site he says “I’m disappointed because I think we didn’t have a good performance”

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... -their-win
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

James P wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:24 pm Opinions I guess. My mate I was watching with was going apoplectic at how deep Haller was coming just to get involved. He was getting the ball and playing passes and then obviously there was no forward leading the line.

You can’t make runs behind when we’re constantly trying and failing to get to the bye line on the wing. When Rice, Fornals, Anderson and Lanzini have all synchronised their bad days at the office, the guy in front is on a hiding to nothing.
Admittedly this isn't first hand knowledge but from all the footage and articles I've seen and read Haller was the pivot of a front three. He had Jovic and Rebic doing the running off him and he supplied through balls to them and vice versa. When we signed him I assumed that Anderson, Lanzini et al would be used to provide that support but they're often 40 yards away all game long. Antonio managed it to some degree before his injury but since then we've stagnated. If he comes short at least one other player needs to be breaking their neck to be the forward runner. The only player that did that today, albeit ineffectually, was Fornals.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

chigwells finest wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:00 pm we do miss arnautovic , who would rough up the opposition , make great runs and put himself about , we had exactly the opposite today from about 8 players . this might not be the most popular comment on here today :-)
It may be true that we miss the 'good Arnie' but we definitely don't miss the bad one.
In the end sadly, we saw too much of the bad one.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

we need to sign a real horrible **stard in midfield , some of our boys need a proper rollicking to gee them up during a game , doesn't seem to be the managers thing
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Faithless wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:38 pm Admittedly this isn't first hand knowledge but from all the footage and articles I've seen and read Haller was the pivot of a front three. He had Jovic and Rebic doing the running off him and he supplied through balls to them and vice versa. When we signed him I assumed that Anderson, Lanzini et al would be used to provide that support but they're often 40 yards away all game long. Antonio managed it to some degree before his injury but since then we've stagnated. If he comes short at least one other player needs to be breaking their neck to be the forward runner. The only player that did that today, albeit ineffectually, was Fornals.
Spot on. We've signed a player and gone back to the Carlton days where we did nothing but leave the poor sod all on his own with everyone miles away from him.

Tactics and set up are all wrong.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

People are saying that the big change in us is since being without Fab & Mic Ant.
Yes, they are a loss for us but our recent form is more of a terrible indictment of the rest of our players.
The loss of those two shouldn't have resulted in what we are seeing now but if it is, well, we've got more serious problems, than we thought.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

chigwells finest wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:42 pm we need to sign a real horrible **stard in midfield , some of our boys need a proper rollicking to gee them up during a game , doesn't seem to be the managers thing

We do, I've been saying this for ages, but we always just go after flair players all the time , when you need someone who gets stuck in there and someone with a bit of meat on his bones.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

I don’t think Lanzini should be an automatic start next match. He’s been a ghost in the last few weeks. And even on his best day he provides virtually no defensive help .
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:53 pm We do, I've been saying this for ages, but we always just go after flair players all the time , when you need someone who gets stuck in there and someone with a bit of meat on his bones.
Lots of people on this thread seemed to think a central midfield partnership of Noble and Rice was a recipe for top six and also should be England centre mid!

Those two playing CM wasn't good enough last year and it isn't good enough this year either
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 256 likes

Post by steps »

hammerman11 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:25 pm lose next week and we are in a relegation fight with what is coming up we are 5 points off the bottom 3
Jesus H. It’s not that bad mate.

We’re mid table fodder, I can’t see any vast improvement from last season tbh.

We’ll win a few, lose a few. Take a few scalps, and turn in some pi** poor performances like we did today.
Crouchend_Hammer

If you look at our fixtures, 12 point is a poor return

We have only played two of the 'big six', both at home, and one of those a poor Man U side

We have played three of the current bottom five.

It is probably one of the 'easiest' sets of nine games you can get.

It iant just the pointa but also i don't think the performances have been great, especially away from home. We may have been unbeaten but looking at the games we have created hardly any chances which is poor given the opposition we have faced

I don't think we will be in a relegation battle but we do have a very tough November which could see us drop g down the table
Crouchend_Hammer

WCpete wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:01 pm I don’t think Lanzini should be an automatic start next match. He’s been a ghost in the last few weeks. And even on his best day he provides virtually no defensive help .
No one should be an automatic starter. Not one single player is good enough for that.
The only two players who deserve to have the name penciled in for next week already are Diop and Ogbonna.
Everyone else can have no complaints about being binned off
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

We got what we deserved today. Three of our arguably first choice front four simply didn't turn up. Lanzini was awful, Anderson and Fornals not much better. Rice and Noble weren't great but, in their defence, they were simply overrun because those in front of them couldn't keep hold of the ball for longer than five seconds or pass to a player in the same coloured shirt.

We were better once Yarmolenko and Wilshire were on but, we only played half decently in the ten minutes before their second goal.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 pm I am surprised to see the pass Haller seems to be getting so far.
Of course he is a new signing and will hopefully come good but I think he has been a bit of a disappointment so far
He doesn't seem to dominate defences much and his movement is poor.
He needs to do more as the lone front man IMHO
:eh:
Patito

Post by Patito »

IB has doubled his post count this afternoon. Was getting worried about him early on this season....
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Anderson needs a rocket up him - has done the square root of f*** all for weeks and weeks now. Seriously underwhelming.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:41 pm Pellegrini's post-match interview, where he makes the 'energy' claim, in full:

https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=134001
I think "Hunger" is the normal English expression.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Rice has still to show that his passing is developing. Yes he can usually win the ball and play the simple pass well enough however he is not creative or adventurous in his distribution which means those around him need to be. When they fail as the rest of the midfield (especially in this respect Lanzini/Noble who are the link to those further forward) did today the whole side does not function. Put another “hard b*stard” who cannot pass better than him alongside Rice and you will simply exacerbate the problem.

It is why someone like Sanchez is a replacement for Rice not a contender to play with him, he to does not have the range of passing needed.
marshboy

Post by marshboy »

03.45 I got up this morning ,5am I got the train ,£150 spend , bunch of ****ers