Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Graza

Re: ⚽ Everton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Graza »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:13 pm We were the eighth biggest spenders this season, and had spent even more last season. The idea of getting a good manager is he overachievers relative to his resources. At the moment the manager cannot claim to be doing that. He has spent plenty of money and had free reign to sign whoever he wants.
Whilst selling our previously best striker, our second best striker and half a squad besides. Net spend is far more telling and on that we are firmly bottom half. The fact that the squad has had a lack of investment relative to teams with the ambition to be in the too half is there in black and white. Could he have spent more on other positions? Sure but the fact that we lost all 4 first team strikers probably wasn't by his design.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

steps wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:08 pm We’re mid table fodder, I can’t see any vast improvement from last season tbh.

We’ll win a few, lose a few. Take a few scalps, and turn in some pi** poor performances like we did today.
100%

We’re not going down. We’re not getting into Europe through the league. So please can we play our first team in the FA Cup whoever the opponents are.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

and Villa are only 1 pt. behind us - +2 GD whereas we have -2
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

As I predicted I think we will do well to finish 12th. If there is a wide scale drop in confidence we might have a new manager in the summer. Today was depressing. One to one battles lost all over the pitch. Gomez was exactly the player we needed in the summer. Rice can win the ball right but cant pass as well as Gomez.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Gsbgsb wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:40 pm Rice has still to show that his passing is developing. Yes he can usually win the ball and play the simple pass well enough however he is not creative or adventurous in his distribution which means those around him need to be. When they fail as the rest of the midfield (especially in this respect Lanzini/Noble who are the link to those further forward) did today the whole side does not function. Put another “hard b*stard” who cannot pass better than him alongside Rice and you will simply exacerbate the problem.

It is why someone like Sanchez is a replacement for Rice not a contender to play with him, he to does not have the range of passing needed.
Rice is not providing any protection to the back four though which i assume is his main role. I don't know if it is managerial instructions but he is all over the shop recently. Not filling the space, not covering runners. He seems all at sea positionally
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:53 pm As I predicted I think we will do well to finish 12th. If there is a wide scale drop in confidence we might have a new manager in the summer. Today was depressing. One to one battles lost all over the pitch. Gomez was exactly the player we needed in the summer. Rice can win the ball right but cant pass as well as Gomez.
bull****

Gomes should have been red carded - it was Noble';s inability to influence the ref when he made three clear though the back tackles and 2 stamps.

A cyncial little **** who should have been taken out my one of our midfielders had they had the gumption.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

The moment fabianski got injured our season ended
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:02 pm The moment fabianski got injured our season ended
I would not subscribe to a statement so bleak but I agree he would have saved the first today and is a critical member of the spine of the team.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

:clap:
Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:02 pm The moment fabianski got injured our season ended
Whilst he is clearly better than Roberto, what impact would he have had on our poor outfield displays recently ?

Roberto had a stinker for the first goal today but he can't be blamed for the awful performances from everyone bar the back four
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Marky wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:15 pm That was shocking. Who wasted our £ on Fornals?

Yet he had the courage to attempt that volley from 30 yards or so , had it gone in we'd have been talking ' Goal of the Season ' - I'm not writing him off yet , in fact not at all .

And we did play some nice stuff - good first time accurate passes - just lacked movement in the final quarter - when I said we lack game changers I was referring to Arnautovic [ as another poster said ] - no matter what people thought of him he could still influence a game , Haller is a fine young prospect but he can't run at defences the same as Marko could - shame we bought him so late when his knees were pooped .
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I’ve been saying for a few seasons now that our squad is no better than, say, Palarse or Bournemouth. Stand by it.

Everton did not play with huge ‘energy’ and make life overly difficult. They were edgy and lacking confidence but as we looked like we were playing in slippers so they grew. If ever there was a time to play 2 up top or, at least, play Yarma to support the isolated Haller then this was it.

Anderson’s 45 minutes was one of the laziest performances I’ve witnessed, which is saying something. He looked like he really didn’t want to be out there and, tbf, neither did I. He deserves dropping for the next one. Can’t work out if he’s an excellent player who looks worse in our average team or an average player we make look good.

A final word to the husband and wife combo - Mr and Mrs Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum - who stood by as Merseyside police threw one of ours downstairs. Mind you they might both get a game on Saturday if this attitude continues.

A great couple of days up here ruined by less desire than shown by Boris Johnson’s girlfriend in a laptop showroom.
Ingwe
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

James P wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:32 pm Maybe you saw a typo. On the official site he says “I’m disappointed because I think we didn’t have a good performance”

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... -their-win
Here's what I read.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/footba ... 490/page/8
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Ingwe wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:11 pm Here's what I read.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/footba ... 490/page/8
Fair play. You called it right.

If he said that then poor form. Never been a fan of mangers, players toeing the party line to fans who know what they saw. Disappointing.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I think when they printed it they misheard the interview. I had to play it twice - "we DIDN'T play well......."
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:27 pm I think when they printed it they misheard the interview. I had to play it twice - "we DIDN'T play well......."
Fair enough, if that's what he said. What should still worry him is that so many believed the original misheard version without question.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I think we are demonstrably worse than last season. Not at all convinced on Haller either. He hasn't had a lot of service, but Ajeti offered more movement in 20 minutes than Haller has in the last 3 games. Any argument that he offers as much as Arnautovic is built on potential and wishful thinking alone at the moment.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I’m guessing Yarmolenko didn’t start because of his games for Ukraine, but by not starting him we not only dropped one of our most in form players, but someone who has scored 3 goals in 3 games against them (also got one for Dynamo Kiev against them).

Fornals and Lanzini playing together today was just a complete zero production. Both of them were utter **** and did nothing. Anderson has got a coating and was also ****, but at least he was picking up the ball and moving it forward. One of the other 2 should’ve came off before him.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I asked the question after the Palace debacle - is it time to play two up front? There is no point in having 'creative' players - Anderson, Fornals, Lanzini - if they are creating f*ck all. There is no point in having a lone striker surrounded by defenders and dropping deep to get involved.

Our next game is at home v Sheffield Utd. We should definitely start with two strikers.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Problem we have atm is haller has been brought here to bring our attacking midfield into the game yet our attacking midfielders have been off the boil so far this season to say the least. 9 games in and no goals for Anderson or lanzini... just weird :eh:
I think haller will go on and prove to be twice the player Arnie was but Arnie did have that pace and power to run in behind the defence and smash teams whereas haller has zero pace but does have other attributes.
Pell and his team have some thinking to do.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

marshboy wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 pm 03.45 I got up this morning ,5am I got the train ,£150 spend , bunch of ****ers
Well, you're certainly dedicated.