NFL Pick 'em pool 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1993 likes
Total likes: 1670 likes

Re: NFL Pick 'em pool 2017/18

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

late hits, defensive holding, false starts etc kept several drives alive, we recovered the ball on the 4 yard line and had to settle for a field goal. and pretty sure it was at least one penalty, one sack and we were suddenly at 3rd and 31 !!!!!!!!!!!! after getting the ball on the FOUR !!!!!!!!!! nothing there for the defensive coaching - bone head offensive penalties etc.

:asleep:
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

bitter, what's your take on Shurmur? I don't get to watch the Giants much being on the west coast, so I'm not qualified to comment. I saw the last 5 minutes of yesterday's game and not only do they look awful but the play calling really suspect as well. What's going on with this team?
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 233 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:16 pm bitter, what's your take on Shurmur? I don't get to watch the Giants much being on the west coast, so I'm not qualified to comment. I saw the last 5 minutes of yesterday's game and not only do they look awful but the play calling really suspect as well. What's going on with this team?
I want to like Shurmur but he's making it difficult. Last Sunday was a shambolic combination of having be totally unprepared (at home no less) and then mind-numbingly stupid game management in the last 5 minutes. I have a hard time thinking of a worse coaching performance for the Giants in a long time. The '97 Wild Card loss to the Vikings came to mind for end of game ineptitude but the Giants did start out ok that day. I'm sure if I thought harder I'd be able to come up with many more :|

He seems to have the respect of the players, which is no small thing after how things unraveled with McAdoo. But this type of sloppiness cannot continue. If I were Gettleman, I'd be getting together lists of temporary and long-term replacements.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

initial looks are that NRG stadium is 50% empty. notorious late arrivals thought in 'ouston

49 days since the Raiders played at home they just said.
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

They're better off there today anyhow. Even though the smoke is being blown in another direction today, the fires here are creating havoc here on the highways. It's a mess here today.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

JJ Watt gone for the season..

Again.....

:(
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

I went to the Rams game at Wembley on Sunday :scarfer:

Not a great game but we got the win. 5-3 now. Need to keep it going and put some pressure on the 49ers.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I've tried to put my picks in but the website says I'm not logged in and when I click on the log in section nothings comes up. Anyone else having problems please?
WHU Independent

Flap over - all sorted now :)
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:07 pm Flap over - all sorted now :)
Are you ELH? If so seems like it’s a battle between me and you for top dog status.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

watching the Texans in London, seems like the place isn't as full as it usually is - I thought that tickets for this are like gold dust.

hopefully loads got to see what Watson is all about..........

****ing unreal.

they've (I think) effectively changed the way they are calling "in the grasp."
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

The Chargers’ return to Los Angeles isn’t going well. And that reportedly is making them a candidate to become the NFL’s first permanent team in London.

According to Vincent Bonsignore, who covers the Rams for TheAthletic.com, “[T]he possibility of the Chargers moving to London has been broached among league personnel.”

It’s an unusual report, to say the least, and it invites speculation as to the motivations of those who have leaked to the media the notion that the Chargers could be the team to relocate to another continent.

Consider this reality, which isn’t mentioned in Bonsignore’s lengthy story: It has become a given within league circles that Jaguars owner Shad Khan has secured a de facto right of first refusal on moving to London. At a minimum, the Jaguars would need to say that they aren’t moving before the Chargers or anyone else would. (Unless the NFL plans to place two teams there.)

So maybe someone is trying to force Khan’s hand, nudging him to poo or get off the loo regarding a move to England by throwing the Chargers into the mix. Or maybe someone connected to the Rams is trying to bring to a head whatever issues may be percolating behind the scenes regarding the actual or perceived inability of the Chargers to pull their financial weight in the stadium the Rams and the Chargers will share.

Indeed, before the Chargers could play in any city except L.A., Rams owner Stan Kroenke would have to agree to let the Chargers out of their 20-year lease. Given the unprecedented expense of the stadium that is nearing completion in Inglewood, it’s highly unlikely that Kroenke would cut the inventory of annual games to be played there from 20 to 10 without significant compensation from someone.

Then there’s the question of whether Chargers ownership would want to move the team so far from California.

As a source with knowledge of the situation has explained it to PFT, no one from the league has ever talked to owner Dean Spanos or any of the Spanos family members about a potential move to London. For years, the family has made a ritual of traveling from their home base in Stockton to Chargers home games. If those home games will be played more than 5,000 miles away, that’s a tradition that would be very difficult to continue.

“We are fully committed and focused on Los Angeles and look forward to continuing to build our fanbase as we transition to our new stadium,” Dean Spanos told Bonsignore. “We’re seeing progress every day, and we look forward to building on that.”

So, frankly, this report feels like it flows from a deliberate effort by the unnamed sources who have fueled it to pushing some other agenda. Whether it’s related to nudging the Jaguars to London or working out whatever issues may linger between the Rams and Chargers regarding their new home, something more seems to be going on than the early stages of an eventual breaking of the Chargers’ 20-year lease in L.A. and a departure to a city that is more than 20 percent of the circumference of the planet away from their current home.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/50311555

Los Angeles Chargers owner Dean Spanos says he has no intention of moving the franchise to London despite reports of a potential relocation.

"We're not going to London," said Spanos, 69. "We're not going anywhere. We're playing in Los Angeles."

He added: "No consideration has been given to the Chargers playing anywhere other than Los Angeles at the new stadium in Hollywood Park next season and beyond.

"There have been no discussions of any kind between the NFL and the Chargers regarding moving to London. Both our office and the Chargers are entirely focused on the success of the team in Los Angeles."
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Both the League, and Jerry Jones, who thinks he runs the League, have put the kibosh on the story. Chargers should just move back to San Diego.

As for a full time team in London, it still seems as if it's a subject the League likes to talk about but doesn't really have the will to act on.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

think the talk came more to a head when Khan offered and nearly bought Wembley.

doesn't he own the Jags ? and their attendance sucks.

maybe they would rather just have teams come in for the day and keep attendance up with fans from all teams coming in to practically sell the place out several times a year (can see it going up another game soon) than have an in place team that is appalling and struggling to fill the place (the new Spurs stadium now)

might have been though with Khan owning Wembley and not having to pay rent, he could have turned a profit easier than in Jacksonville.

(if that's in fact who he owns)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

oh dear.......

Jets 14 Giants 0

:shock:

14-13 now missed 2 point conversion it looked like.....quite why I don't know...

this is a doozey

strip and run back for a t.d. Jets up 21-13

huge catch and run and a 2 pt attempt but offensive pass int. (was a botched 1 pt att. earlier) so they've gone back for a PAT - missed

21-19 Jets. two awful teams - W/L wise - but this is as entertaining a game as I have seen.......

holy cow they've just shown a replay of Lamar Jackson's t.d. today

:shock:

didn't the Ravens just beat the Pats last week ? might be another S-B appearance for Baltimore

t.d and a 2 pt conversion 27-21 Giants !!!!!!!!

Jets end up winning.......34-27

what's with the Rams "white" horns on the helmets today.....
WHU Independent

I bet $122,500 dollars on the Seahawks to beat the 49'ers yesterday* and won $240,000. Go Hawks (they were a bit lucky though :) )

*(in a fantasy game that I play on line.)
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Keep it classy Cleveland :thdn:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

listening to the start of the Texans game on Baltimore radio - England game on the telly.

anyway, there's pass interference in the end zone for the Texans - not called. the commentary team are like "Oh man that's pass interference no question. O'Brien should throw the red flag here. reviewing the call (remember I am listening to the Baltimore crew) and there's no question that he gets there way before the receiver. O'Brien will challenge this for sure."

O'Brien challenges the call.

"This will go against the Ravens here."

"After reviewing the play, the call on the field stands, Houston will lose a time out."

"Well I guess that you have to go full Miles Garrett to get a call overturned. The NFL have made it pretty apparent that there's no way they're going to overturn a pass interference if it isn't called on the field."

what's the f**king point then ? even the home town commentary team were convinced that the call would go against them - then the summary from them was, "If it looks anywhere close at all, don't bother with a challenge because you obviously won't win it."

how is this not pass interference (not that it would have mattered a whole lot but come on....)

The NFL has been reluctant to overturn pass interference judgment calls, even clear-cut ones like this, since changing the rules to allow it to be reviewed before this season in the wake of the controversial NFC championship game loss by the New Orleans Saints to the Los Angeles Rams. It's reached a point of frustration where most NFL coaches don't even bother to challenge plays like this one.

the 49-ers are on a nice little run - Garopolo doing well for them.....said last week (no genius I know but I don't keep up with every player on every team), but Lamar Jackson is most definitely the real deal...........
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cuenc' - you may already know this and you may already have mentioned it so apologies if so but I read something about the Texans the other day...

DeAndre Hopkins' mother lost her sight in an acid attack 17 years ago. She always sits at the front right by the end zone, so when he scores a TD he can run over and give her the ball.

https://people.com/sports/deandre-hopki ... down-ball/