Would you sell Declan Rice for £90m?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

steveyrockstar

Re: Would you sell Declan Rice for £90m?

Post by steveyrockstar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:32 pm

YorksHammer wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:18 pm
Got a good talking up on the Guardian's Football Weekly this week, did our Declan.

Marvin Sordell was on there and talking about how good his forward passing game was, that he looks for a pass to release the attackers around him rather than a sideways or backwards one. I thought that was quite an interesting comment, I must admit.
Marvin Sordell is a football pundit now? He can still only be mid-late 20s. He was once a super bright hope as a striker. I remember us getting linked to him for about £10m when he was at Watford. What happened to his career? Strange how promising players just don't fulfil their early hype, a la Saido Berahino and Frank Nouble.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Sordell has had a lot of issues with depression.
Had to retire because of it and is now a bit of a 'poster boy' (apologies for the term) for mental illness in football

Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:41 pm

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.

gurru991

Post by gurru991 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:41 pm

SpongeBob's Pants wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:28 pm
If all of the money were to be reinvested into the squad, then yes without a doubt.

Rice is nowhere near worth anything close to £90M[/b][/b][/b].[/b]
Not 90M today but Man U are interested and are famous for overpaying !!
For me he is the type of player that you build a team around so my answer is NO !

miketheloop

Post by miketheloop » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:21 am

I wouldn’t let him go for 90m what would be the point? With someone like Rice, it’s not just his ability on the pitch, it’s his attitude in and around the dressing room, as well as his love for the club.

Noble hasn’t got much longer left and we need someone to carry on Nobles love for West Ham. It’s infectious and in turn rubs off on the others and builds togetherness.

We need more Brand advocates like Rice and Nobes in the team, not more journeymen.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:26 am

totally agree. rice will be captain next year and hopefully will stay for a few more years. IF we are successful over the next few years he will stay but if not then a few along with him will leave.
sell him in January for what 90m and have to rebuild yet again. keep him and add quality players and we could yet see a successful west ham team and actually win something.

we have sold our good youngsters in the past and where did it get us ? the club have a chance to write some history I feel over the next few years.

replace nobes with a decent CM for next season and add a CB, CF and maybe a LB and we are good to go

hammers92

Post by hammers92 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:03 am

This guy was phenomenal last night.

OFT

Post by OFT » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:18 am

hammers92 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:03 am
This guy was phenomenal last night.
Yep.
It's sometimes easy to forget this lad is so young.

Absolutely Hammered!

Post by Absolutely Hammered! » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:27 am

Hes now starting to add the attacking side to his game so in a few years he'll be a quality all rounder with 4 years PL experience and will be 22 years old. I just hope people keep slating him so we can keep him but can't see it.

BrownFatwa

Post by BrownFatwa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:55 am

No ****ing way.
Better we strive to move forward as a club to match his ambitions and pray he's our new (but better) Noble in terms of loyalty and leadership.

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:58 pm

Getting worried that we are not making the most of Rice’s talents or protecting him, which amounts to the same thing I think.

To rely on him at his age and with him being really only in his second proper season is a big ask. I’m sure if you asked him he’d say that Noble has been his foil on and off the pitch but aside from him there is nobody to help him out.

Declan’s had a dodgy few games having previously looked imperious. That’s not serious, but going forward we have 2 months of this and who trusts our lot to get this years Cavalho in January?

I want to keep him at all costs, but we are doing all we can to get him to want to go.

jastons

Post by jastons » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:34 pm

If we carry on like this then we would be lucky to get £45m for him.

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:40 pm

He'll be gone in the Summer, he's Sullivan's transfer kitty although we'll not get anywhere near the fee we could do if we actually had owners who aspired to something better than 17th place.

Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:12 am

I'd take 90m for the whole team after today and rebuild in january. Joking... kinda

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 am

If anyone was dumb enough to pay 90M for Rice I’d bite their hands off. Way overrated. Good player, but there are plenty who could do his job as well, or better, for a fraction of that price.

Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Post by Ben » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:33 am

Ironing Board wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 am
If anyone was dumb enough to pay 90M for Rice I’d bite their hands off. Way overrated. Good player, but there are plenty who could do his job as well, or better, for a fraction of that price.
Who?

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:03 am

Ben wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:33 am
Who?
It depends what you want the player to do. If you want them to simply sit in front of the back four, break up play and cover for the full backs there are literally hundreds of players who could do that for a fraction of the price

Ideally we would buy one of these players and play them and Rice

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:07 am

Sanchez :hush:

aaronhammer

Post by aaronhammer » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:20 am

Not looked good since the Palace game for me. I’m sure he took that game hard as it was his error which gave them the penalty when we were on top.

He then played for England and had a poor game, and found himself on the bench for the next game.

He needs to find his rhythm again but that’s hard in a team which is massively underperforming around him. It will be the making of him though, all players have bad patches, it’s how you respond to it.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:31 am

If we sell him soon it will be death of us . we have little ambition as it is with constantly throwing cup games. gsb just want to stay in the PL gravy train. no ambition to do anything.

we should be building around him but that takes money and a decent manager to motivate and drive players on. I don't see that in pelle. I have tried to get on board but these last few games are worse than bilic moyes or fat sam. we have no desire pattern fitness.

rice is 20 and I would make him captain asap or for next season if he is still here.

people say there are loads of players like him that we could get who ? another foreign player here for the money like haller Anderson yarmolenko ?

we have a home produced youngster and that is or was our identity. sell the assets again and whats the point going to watch a bunch of journeymen who don't care or try !

we need another younger mobile CM alongside him as noble has gone and we have nothing else in the squad apart from sanchez and Cullen who is on loan.

sell rice and the games over for us as we wont invest all the money and we have lost our future captain and soul of the club.