The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Row X wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:08 pm

I keep hearing rumours that the 2 local pubs are the ones that are somehow blocking them from getting their alcohol licence... not sure how they could though
Funny handshakes.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:03 pm Funny handshakes.
One's that involve brown envelopes?

I really hope they get all the ammenties, as the course is a great little track. Then they can kick on and become a true club, and they have a great catchment area for members, as Upminster GC up the road is a bit snobby.
The_Cheadley
Total likes: 1 like

Post by The_Cheadley »

I've played cranham a few times over the last year or so. I always book a tee time but with no starter I find it's just a bit of a free for all. Add that it's cheap, open and the fairways are so close together I've had a few close calls from bad slices! Great value and is somewhere i will happily play, but would probably prefer to go down the road to Top Meadow (or maybe Mardyke). Although it's short enough that I can walk round it (I have a slightly dodgy back)
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

top Meadow is awful IMO

mardyke is a decent course though

cranham have gaps of 8mins now for tee off times - it has sorted out being held up massively - there are still a few issues with etiquette though - barely anyone lets you play through and still people turn up in jeans to play - hardly anyone repairs their pitch marks on greens either
Row X

Post by Row X »

I agree about Top Meadow.

It's just a weird lay-out and it feels like you walk 27 holes even though you only play 18 due to the distances between greens and the next tee. It spoils it for me.

There are some decent holes there. Although the hole near the end which is a dog leg left with out of bounds all up the left and trees that side, the the course boundry at the point of the dog leg in front of you at about 180 yards... It's a par 4 and if you hit to the corner of the dog leg it leaves you about 240 left to the green for your second shot. So it makes you take on the trees and OOB and your still left with a long shot in... stupid hole. Headbanger
psychoscoredthelot

topmeadows never in a decent condition either whenever ive played it - i would rather go 5 minutes further up the road and play mardyke
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:56 pm topmeadows never in a decent condition either whenever ive played it - i would rather go 5 minutes further up the road and play mardyke
I was a member at top meadow for 2 years and I avoid the place now like the plaque

Only thing I go to it for is to see my mate who's the pro there..try to do my golf buys through him

You can't argue with the value of top meadow (£16 including breakfast) but the greens are slow and rubbish

The course physically knackers you playing up then down the same hill

The course is too punishing to good shots with ditches in middle of fairways

Only time I play there now is If my previous mention mate wants 9 holes to practice his game I'll go along with him
psychoscoredthelot

think i would rather not go golf than play top meadow
Row X

Post by Row X »

I'm playing West Essex tomorrow, never been there before. Any tips?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Row X wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:33 am I'm playing West Essex tomorrow, never been there before. Any tips?

Try not to be distracted by the police helicopter that takes off every 15 mins just next to it
Row X

Post by Row X »

Ha ha, I now have the perefct excuse for missing 'those' putts.
psychoscoredthelot

Row X wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:33 am I'm playing West Essex tomorrow, never been there before. Any tips?
nice course that - i got an eagle on a par 4 over there - but god knows how because i hit my ball into the trees - when i had just given up on finding it the 4ball on the green shouted to me - that ball nearly took our heads off where was the shout of fore !!

it must have pinged off the top branches of a tree - because it was 18 inches from the hole
psychoscoredthelot

i played cranham yesterday, its in really good nick

front 9 i played well - back 9 not so good - each time someone let us through i blobbed that hole !

Im playing Epsom on Friday through work
Row X

Post by Row X »

I got 30 points on Friday over West Essex playing off of 16.

Well happy with that, given the conditions. Really helps when your driver is going dead straight for 90% of the time.

Really nice course, bit boggy in places but the green were still quick and true. Would love to go back in the summer when it is drier, but dread to think how fast the greens would be then. Staff all friendly and welcoming, as were the members.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Row X wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:12 pm .................................

Really helps when your driver is going dead straight for 90% of the time.

Mine goes dead straight for 90% of the time, it's just the last 10% where it turns right....
psychoscoredthelot

im not playing epsom friday - im playing Mill ride

glad i found out before turning up at the wrong golf course !!
psychoscoredthelot

Mill Ride was tough going - it was closed the day before due to water logging

the course was really muddy and hitting the ball cleanly was f-ing tough

played ok - too many blobs though

will give it another go in the summer as it was decent last summer - its a long course though - quite a few 430 odd yard par 4s
Row X

Post by Row X »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:34 am Mill Ride was tough going - it was closed the day before due to water logging

the course was really muddy and hitting the ball cleanly was f-ing tough

played ok - too many blobs though

will give it another go in the summer as it was decent last summer - its a long course though - quite a few 430 odd yard par 4s
430 yard par 4's this time of the year are always tough... no run of the ball, so it's all carry. It would be two great whacks to reach.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Played today, absolutely freezing. No fun when you can't feel your fingers, although the feeling somehow returns for mishits.

I'm assuming the cold weather is responsible for the two club lack of distance, even the good ones out of the middle where you just know you've creamed it were coming up way short on carry distance. I suppose it's all part of the game, if it were easy we'd all be millionaires.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:02 pm Played today, absolutely freezing. No fun when you can't feel your fingers, although the feeling somehow returns for mishits.

I'm assuming the cold weather is responsible for the two club lack of distance, even the good ones out of the middle where you just know you've creamed it were coming up way short on carry distance. I suppose it's all part of the game, if it were easy we'd all be millionaires.
They say that cold air is thicker than hot air so falls out sky sooner

Also techniques suffer in winter as you say ur so cold so you might not fully rotate without realising