Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Re: Formula1 2019

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Bottas, Hamilton and Vettel on racing against Verstappen. Do wait for Vettel's turn, it's worth it :D

k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Driver of the day is a farce too.

Verstapped getting it because he come from last to 6th. When he was basically the cause of all his downfall. He basically managed to go from 1st to 6th.

Hamilton and Mercedes got the calls spot on. I think Hamilton was right that the tyres were not going to last at the pace he was doing at first but he clearly then settled down and in the end everyone had the same - they were quick onthe hards at first then they just seemed to hit a point where they weren't amazingly fast yet they weren't slow. Mercedes made the right call to get track position. I looked in play at odds and saw Hamilton at 5/1 when he was infront and i thought to myself that was really bizarre as he had track position - shame i didn't go with my instinct.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 873 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Any driver in a Mercedes, Ferrari or a Red Bull should be able to make Top 6 from last on the grid. I agree making Mad Max driver of the day was a farce.
Superb tyre management from Lewis and I am sure a lot of his over the radio communications are bluffs to give competitors false hope.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:09 pm Superb tyre management from Lewis and I am sure a lot of his over the radio communications are bluffs to give competitors false hope.
White Goodman wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:58 am I just wish he'd do it without the customary teenage angst.

Either that or he's just taking the piss as he knows it is broadcast😃 but I knew as soon as he started moaning about the tyres after about two minutes that he would be there or thereabouts at the end.
I actually take a different view of Lewis although I'll admit I'm biased as I'm a fan.

I think the negative moaning and worrying shows a much more human side than many elite sportsmen give out. You look at other great talents such as Djokovic or Stokes and they just seem to exude belief and strength. But the difference is they are not on speakerphone while they are doing their stuff, so we never really know the doubts going on in their head.

I think Hamilton genuinely struggles to control his self doubt but it probably helps him to verbalise it as a release, which allows the rest of his brain to get on with driving like a God. Almost like a split personality inside his helmet.

As cool and assured as he tries to act outside of the car, when he can focus on the image he is portraying, under the pressure of a race the veil slips and his real personality is exposed.

That's my theory anyway.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

I think Lewis does have issues with confidence, but I also think there is also a measure of kidology. He knew the others were coming out on newer tyres and his messages encouraged them to push straight away and remove as much life as possible from them. It was only a few races ago that he was ale to put in the quickest lap of the race on well-used hard tyres. Also Mercedes were the only ones to run the hards in practice so they had more info than anyone else. Danny Ricciardo was also showing exactly how they could hold up having run them from the start.

I also think that Lewis was putting down a marker on Max at the start ready for next year. He knows that the championship is won so he can put the young upstart in his place having spent all year avoiding him.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

^^^^ I posted on a motoring forum a few months ago that Hamilton is very good at wearing out his opponents' tyres.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Wow. Lando first in Q1. Didn’t see that coming
aaronhammer
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Congratulations Lewis! 6 time champion, that is a phenomenal achievement and shouldn’t be underestimated.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Great drive from the two mercs. Ferrari exploded now their ‘secret’ mode has been discovered. Red bull close again (as they often are towards the end of the season) I’m sure the bbc hys will be full of thinly-veiled racist critism of Hamilton. Good race, excellent track.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Ferrari secret mode? Do tell.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Well done to Hamilton, doing exactly what is required at the right time. Been a very professional display by him this year.

I think he's had a fair amount of luck too with other teams screwing up their strategies and suffering unreliability but that's all part of the game and he's hoovered up every single chance that he's been given.

It's testament to his ability that he's actually made it look quite pedestrian and some of this year's stints on the hard tyres have been very impressive

Still hoping Red Bull can give Max ( and Albon) a car that can consistently challenge the Mercs next year as still believe Verstappen is the only driver that rattles Hamilton and would be great to watch.

Would like to see a good winter of development for McLaren too, the seeds of that seem to be there and their driver team is pretty solid , a promising first season from Norris and think Sainz in particular, in a truly competitive car would give the top teams a bloody nose pretty much every week.

And yes HYS on the BBC really does make me appreciate this place 🙂
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:40 pm Ferrari secret mode? Do tell.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14695 ... i-intrigue

Max also called them out for it after this race

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-on-fe ... -cheating/

No proof but their amazing speed advantage seems to have magically gone at CotA.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

You get that when you stop cheating :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Hamilton wins again.

Meh.

F1 needs to get more competitive again to become more interesting.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

This season has been an odd one really. The only constant has been Hamiltons relentless form. Others have been as good as LH, if not better at times but nobody has consistently challenged him. In many respects it similar to Mark Marquez in MotoGP.

He is one of the all time greats. His racecraft is exceptional. Contrast him with Vettel who is great in a superior car when he can lead from the front but is all at Sea in wheel-to-wheel situations.

A well-deserved 6th title👍
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Good article on Lewis and his lack of popularity in the UK

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/spor ... -hamilton/

Thought this section was well done

"He hasn’t failed a doping test and blamed it on contaminated boar. Or denounced abortion and homosexuality. Or said a woman’s best place is in the kitchen.

But then again, Tyson Fury apologised. And he fought back from cocaine addiction. And he rose from the canvas twice in his draw with Deontay Wilder. And he’s a character. So let’s overlook all that.

He hasn’t been arrested and charged with affray. Or been banned for bringing his sport into disrepute. Or been pictured grabbing his partner by the neck.

But then again, Ben Stokes was found not guilty. And was man of the match for England in a World Cup final. And was heroic in the third Ashes test at Headingly. And explained he and his wife were only playing. So let’s overlook all that.

He hasn’t been involved in a regime now being investigated for systematic cheating. Or missed drugs tests. Or sought therapeutic use exemptions to gain an additional advantage.

But then again, Sir Mo Farah and Sir Bradley Wiggins are both national heroes. And both come from humble beginnings. And both have been knighted and won Olympic Gold. And both have been named BBC Sports Personality of the Year. So let’s overlook all that.

The examples could go on. As will the apathy towards an individual who is bizarrely afforded less respect and adulation from the British public than any of the above."
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

sendô wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:55 am Hamilton wins again.

Meh.

F1 needs to get more competitive again to become more interesting.
I stopped watching F1 for a few years when Schumacher was sweeping up. Think I may have to do the same now that Hamilton is doing the same. Its a poor spectacle.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

wolf359 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:25 pm Good article on Lewis and his lack of popularity in the UK

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/spor ... -hamilton/

Thought this section was well done

"He hasn’t failed a doping test and blamed it on contaminated boar. Or denounced abortion and homosexuality. Or said a woman’s best place is in the kitchen.

But then again, Tyson Fury apologised. And he fought back from cocaine addiction. And he rose from the canvas twice in his draw with Deontay Wilder. And he’s a character. So let’s overlook all that.

He hasn’t been arrested and charged with affray. Or been banned for bringing his sport into disrepute. Or been pictured grabbing his partner by the neck.

But then again, Ben Stokes was found not guilty. And was man of the match for England in a World Cup final. And was heroic in the third Ashes test at Headingly. And explained he and his wife were only playing. So let’s overlook all that.

He hasn’t been involved in a regime now being investigated for systematic cheating. Or missed drugs tests. Or sought therapeutic use exemptions to gain an additional advantage.

But then again, Sir Mo Farah and Sir Bradley Wiggins are both national heroes. And both come from humble beginnings. And both have been knighted and won Olympic Gold. And both have been named BBC Sports Personality of the Year. So let’s overlook all that.

The examples could go on. As will the apathy towards an individual who is bizarrely afforded less respect and adulation from the British public than any of the above."
Extremely lazy journalism.

Claims of "institutional racism" yet mentions Sir Mo Farah as being a national hero. A load of Bow-locks article. :thdn:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

It's a couple of reasons really, one being as I mentioned above that F1 racing simply isn't exciting like Boxing or Cricket can be, and another being that, for all the good Hamilton does, he simply doesnt have the personality to get himself front and centre and get the public to like him.

Tyson Fury has personality in abundance and, for all his flaws, you can't help but like the bloke, can you?

I don't think people are going out of their way to dislike Hamilton, as that article seems to suggest.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

sendô wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am he simply doesnt have the personality to get himself front and centre and get the public to like him.
I struggle to grasp this. People hero worship Kimi, yet he has as much personality as the terminator.

Both Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell were hero worshipped, yet neither of them are exactly colourful.

Hamilton refuses to fit the stereotype of a modern F1 driver, he has outside interests and does his own thing, rather than being a corporate robot.

Is Roger Federer acknowledged for his wit and humour? Or is he just admired because of his greatness.

I hate to play the Lammy card, but there is undoubtably an element of society that holds his colour against him, even if subconsciously.

In my eyes he is greater than Schumacher. Doesn't demand No1 status, he team mate is free to race, ever seen Hamilton cheat?

Most the first races were poor, up to and including France. Since then it's been a good season. Ferrari and Red Bull have been in the mix, the top 3 teams have been closer together.

Hamilton and Marquez are both geniuses of motor sport. Their dominance shouldn't deflect from their brilliance.