The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Re: January

Post by YorksHammer »

Bowen's done it at Hull for a couple of seasons consecutively now as well, would be a good shout.

Pereira at West Brom seems to have quite a good relationship striking up with Diangana.

Ovie Ejaria has started the season well at Reading.

Jayden Bogle, Derby RB, only 19 but now in his second season as a starter - wicked cross on him.

I wonder if we have active scouts on the Championship - we never seem to hear about where our scouts are looking unless we're already linked with a player and then it's a report that says 'oh, we've scouted him two or three times/had an eye on him for a while' etc etc.
Last edited by YorksHammer on Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

HammerAl wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:08 pm Kalvin Phillips is class. Not sure the owners would spend that much on a central midfielder from the Championship though. He'll be in and around the England set-up within the next couple of seasons.

I'd be very happy to take the best, young players from the Championship and League One rather than buying from abroad. Are there players in the Championship who could be as effective as some of our big signings? Possibly. It's not always about buying big from Europe's major leagues. There is top class talent in the lower / lesser leagues as well.
Couldn't agree more. I think our entire transfer strategy needs a complete overhaul and hopefully this will happen when a new manager is appointed. We need a proper scouting network and target players who will complement the system he intends to play, instead of drawing up an unrealistic list of players with no intention of joining us and work through that list until we identify a player who doesn't really want to sign either, but does so simply because he is attracted by the money. This is what we have been doing for years and we are still no better for it. In fact, we are probably worse off because once we have them we are saddled with then for 5 years or so on extortionate money and cannot get rid of them
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Maybe that suggests we should be looking at some of those Championship managers who are doing well and know the league system. The likes of Bowyer, Parker, or Bowen all are ex-Hammers doing reasonably good managerial jobs (or better in some cases). Maybe even give consideration to the Cowley's, as flagged in a separate thread on here.

(As ever, my first choice will be Bielsa forever and always)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

don't know how accurate this is but it does seem so. (I do hope this is grammatically correct).

https://www.football.london/west-ham-un ... g-15646961

An inside look at West Ham's scouting & recruitment network - who is making the calls?

The scouting department is not actually that big at West Ham, compared to how enormous some others are that will have salary-paid scouts based all over the world. As we saw last season, David Moyes scouted Fulham's Tom Cairney while assistant Stuart Pearce went off to Belgium to cast an eye over Leander Dendoncker, so that gives you an idea.

Now though, the majority of West Ham's work is actually done on a system called Wyscout, which Sullivan alluded to in his video analysis comment. Wyscout provides video clips of any and all match events for players and clubs, plus incredibly detailed levels of data and analysis.

This includes foreign leagues as well - perfect if you're looking to scout players and/or make comparisons to your existing squads.
Pango

Post by Pango »

Biggest priority by a long way is Goalkeeper.

Our 2 reserves are simply just that at best.

Opposition tactics will be 'just work the keeper' until Jan. Then we will be linked with a couple of keepers throughout the whole of Jan to end up signing no-one. Fabianski comeback will be put back to the end of season where we will be finish 4th from bottom just.

GK the most important position on the park ...... massive gamble by Pellers/Sully/Gold to assume Fab would stay fit and let Roberto/ Martin share a season ticket on the bench and then actually have to play one of them ! :thdn:

Go sign someone like Dan Bentley from Bristol City ...... just get it done and stop messing around West Ham .... then see the confidence spread through the back four into the midfield etc .....
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

they wont buy another keeper. we are praying fab comes back early and stays fit and back to his best. mind you a one legged fabianski is better than Roberto.

CM is the key area for us. get someone decent in and it improves both defence and midfield in one go.

a second striker would be nice but we will have Antonio and silva back soon so I doubt they will bother until the summer. I don't want giroud as he is not mobile enough to play off haller unless we are going long ball .

one central midfielder will suffice this window. then we can have noble snoddy as subs.

new manager is a bit soon but I would like eddie howe or scott parker
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

that would be the same Scott Parker who has Fulham in 8th in the Fizzy ?

:?
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

doing ok at the moment. realistically who can we attract ? kovac Mourinho ? no way.

eddie howe wont be leaving Bournemouth for a worse team

so its championship at best. I would like us to have more british players . whats the point having sanchez ? rather have Cullen on the bench or Coventry.

a big couple of months but I expect to see us around 12th and another boring season completed. next level ???

having said that if we lose the next 5 things could get exciting and scary !
Patito

Post by Patito »

hammerman11 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:05 pm
eddie howe wont be leaving Bournemouth for a worse team
Stop repeatedly suggesting him then.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

okay ?

Fulham 15 6 5 4 23 17 6 23

now the Fizzy is a very competitive division that's for sure, but he is way behind Slav and we sacked him.

nah.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

From the Austrian Media:

Report: Arsenal and West Ham strive for Eintracht Frankfurt's Martin Hinteregger

From SPOX Austria
Wednesday, 06.11.2019 | 14:53 clock

Martin Hinteregger's strong performances at Eintracht Frankfurt obviously do not go unnoticed. Several Premier League clubs are to strive for the services of the Austrians.

As Football Insider reports, both Arsenal and West Ham United are considering a winter transfer for the 27-year-old center-back.

An Arsenal source is said to have reported to this medium that the interest of the Gunners in search of new defenders to rise increasingly, while West Ham is considered a long-term interested Hintereggers.

Report: Hinteregger fits Arsenal's profile

The former Red Bull Salzburg defender is said to have convinced Arsenal in the direct Europa League duel in September, with his strong left foot both his header in both penalty areas would fit Hinteregger ideal in profile.

Whether Hinteregger leaves Frankfurt in January, however, may be doubted. The ÖFB team player is still under contract with Adi Hütter's troupe until the summer of 2024 and is clearly comfortable in his new home.

https://www.spox.com/at/sport/fussball/ ... egger.html

Good numbers has this guy for a defender...

- 3 games in Europa League, 1 goal.
- 9 games in the Bundesliga, 3 goals.
- 7.04 Rating in Bundesliga (Whoscored) and 6.93 in Europa League.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/83659 ... interegger

According Kicker.de (German) .... 3.28 Rating in Bundesliga and 3.17 in Europa League... Overall 112 Bundesliga games, 9 goals. 37 Europa League games, 2 goals.

https://www.kicker.de/hinteregger-martin-66248/spieler

I like him... :thup:
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Patito wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:16 am We need to sign Eberechi Eze.
Thanks for that!!! (advice) :)

(Never heard of him)
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:54 pm that would be the same Scott Parker who has Fulham in 8th in the Fizzy ?

:?
Sorry Cuenca, I mentioned him as a potential option and the hammerman bot tuned in.

I've actually been quite impressed with Fulham this season - 8th, two points off 5th such is the close nature of the league, and a positive team looking forward. They don't play a system that would be alien to us - in fact, it's not dissimilar to our 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 formation - but Parker's got the front end sorted out with wider players closer to Mitrovic.

Plus, I personally always had a great deal of love for the guy.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not saying he would be awful, but not an upgrade would you say ?

and probably better off plying his trade in the Fizzy for now. he had a few games last season in the PL but in general this mess needs sorting out in a BIG way and I'm not 100% convinced that someone from the lower reaches would be up to it currently.

if the expectations weren't so great, and the need to fill and maintain the bowl so great (from Sully's p.o.v.) then sure but the price of failure (literally) is so high that (unfortunately maybe) it requires someone of the "been there done that" brigade to come in or the job is overwhelming. I am not sure (me included) that the general supporter appreciates how much of the day/night/week/month/year is taken up by being a professional manager (in any sport) and the pressure so great that sometimes, the inability to absorb that pressure day in day out is too much for loads of people.

imvho
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

Sully would never take a punt on a manager that’s relatively untested, he wants tried and tested, if Pellers goes Sully will go again for Rafa, and then we’ll really get to see some attritional football.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Scott Parker should be walking the league with that squad

Jarrod Bowen you say....Should've signed him years ago when he was avaliable for peanuts, be a decent price now
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

I notice that jovic was on the bench again last night for real madrid . despite them winning 6-0 he stayed on the bench. I wonder if we were to offer a reunion with haller he would come for a loan until end of season at least ? would mean pelle playing 2 up top though !
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:29 pm I thought it was the case that you had to offer an improved deal with any contract extension.
You can offer whatever you want. The player doesn’t have to accept, mind. For a 33 year old just about to go out of contract, half your current wages but another 2-3 years is possibly an attractive option. A younger player that is just about to go out of contract, but broke his leg 2 week ago.... he might be tempted to sign for 3 years at a reduced wage.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

we have missed out on a lot of good players that were nearer to home the likes of billing at Bournemouth, dedonker at wolves, Maddison at Leicester were all available for much less than the 24m we paid for fornals.
we could have taken tammy Abraham for 30m rather than 45m haller.
reece james at chelsea was rummoured to be available for 10m. look at him now.

instead we end up with ajeti for 8m admitedly not given much of a chance but he hasnt looked good when he has got on the pitch, haller who looks like he wants to leave asap as we have isolated him. two awful GK for peanuts.
yarmolenko has one leg and injury prone before we bought him.
wilshere injury prone before we gave him 100k a week
sanchez 34 and useless but 60k a week
zabaleta another year too many at 60k a week
cresswell 29 5 year deal for a declining player
lanzini 100k and looks terrible since he signed the new contract
noble has another 3-4 years on his mega deal, he shouldnt be starting now let alone in 2 years time !

lets hope cullen diagana and coventry can add some desire and youthfulness to the squad and team.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Patito wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:33 pm
Phillips is also superb but isn't leaving Leeds any time soon.
Not even if Leeds are out of the play off places come January ? Could the player angle for a move if a PL club came sniffing, say Leicester City ?