Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by ageing hammer »

I think Pelle has thrown in the towel months ago when he realised Sully was skimping again. (wasn't our net spend small?)

I wonder could Pelle's constant remarks about us adapting " a big club mentality " have been actually aimed at the board :think:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:14 pm I think Pelle has thrown in the towel months ago when he realised Sully was skimping again. (wasn't our net spend small?)

I wonder could Pelle's constant remarks about us adapting " a big club mentality " have been actually aimed at the board :think:
Looking at the above accounts, they probably can not afford to continuously splurge. It would just put the club at risk.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Yorks

I am not sure that our NET spend was 90M though.................

still it looks good on paper
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:31 pm Yorks

I am not sure that our NET spend was 90M though.................

still it looks good on paper
Fair enough - Transfermarkt has our net spend at £71m.

Trouble is, as we all know now, transfer fees are spread across the length of the contract to allow for some very subtle 'creative accounting'. So if we suddenly lump a load of total fees into the accounts we can ask some questions.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bet our net spend over at * & * for last season ends up at another 70M (they will forget ANY sales and wages saved as well)

:D

plus of course a load of them are performance based
hammerofthedogs
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hammerofthedogs »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:42 pm plus of course a load of them are performance based
They'll be quids in this year then...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

those accounts won't be published until next year when they'll fudge over the savings and only point out how much we spent (wasted) this season

:wink:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=134036

Having initially indicated that the team should potentially push for a European spot, Pellegrini now suggested that a top half finish would once again be satisfactory.

"It's a very bad moment without any doubt," he said when asking to comment on the club's recent results. "I always try to be optimistic, put my target as high as I can. West Ham must fight to be in the upper part of the table.

I understand that plans have to be adjusted, but there's loads of points still up for grabs. why not "We're behind where we hoped and expected to be, but there are loads of points still to play for and I believe that we can still finish in a European spot."

be far more positive - otherwise the team gets say 10th and they ease up. (I suppose that's better than not trying hard enough, but even so..)
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:33 pm https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=134036

Having initially indicated that the team should potentially push for a European spot, Pellegrini now suggested that a top half finish would once again be satisfactory.

"It's a very bad moment without any doubt," he said when asking to comment on the club's recent results. "I always try to be optimistic, put my target as high as I can. West Ham must fight to be in the upper part of the table.

I understand that plans have to be adjusted, but there's loads of points still up for grabs. why not "We're behind where we hoped and expected to be, but there are loads of points still to play for and I believe that we can still finish in a European spot

Mmmnn that's not very 'big team' mentality. :?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Quite frankly unacceptable
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

pelle is tired and not motivated any longer. upper half of the table. we left the BG for this ? I wonder if players like haller Anderson and rice were told we are aimig for upper half when they signed up.

IF this is all we aim for when we have huge attendances and turnover at the bowl what is the point. This season was to be top 7 and Europe at least ! now we will be lucky and have done well if we get 10th ????????????

pelle matching the ambitions of the board, or lack of it .

looks like we need another fans demonstration to get the shysters moving again.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

bonzosbeard wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:24 pm Quite frankly unacceptable
Yep and they sacrificed one of the cup's to come to this conclusion. ****ing joke, no ambition whatsoever. Same will happen in the 3rd round of the FA Cup because by then we could well be in the bottom 3 whereby Premiership survival becomes a priority.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

"Upper part of the table"

So anywhere upwards from tenth, then?

What's the problem with that? He said he wants to finish as high as possible, he hasn't said he wants to finish tenth?

Tough crowd.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Off topic (for the ones who want to know a little bit on about Nico Kovac):

In radio in Germany ran a show the othet night (Deutschlandfunk), where Bayern fans and experts where there and everyone came to the same conclusion that Nico Kovac was sacked because his tactics are really too plain, no Plan B and hes too conservative in terms of managing and strategy.

So, somewhere similar to us and some paralels to our situation now, that I really see no mayor difference between him and Pelle in many terms, and thats why I will not fully understand why WHU would be behind him.

But its only me and my humble opinion.

Cheers!
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

S-H wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:57 pm "Upper part of the table"

So anywhere upwards from tenth, then?

What's the problem with that? He said he wants to finish as high as possible, he hasn't said he wants to finish tenth?

Tough crowd.
There is no problem. It makes sense and is what you would expect. It’s just people like making a mountain out of a molehill.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

It’s because a load on here got giddy thinking we could be 6th this year when the reality was always that this squad need more major restoration doing to it
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Ozza wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:29 pm It’s because a load on here got giddy thinking we could be 6th this year when the reality was always that this squad need more major restoration doing to it
Guilty as charged - in my Defence I had been on the Optimism all weekend . :)
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

PS: I do not really want to set it as an excuse, but.... Could this really has been playing a role in our couch minds and the whole mood of the staff... ???

Manuel Pellegrini: "I live with concern what happens in Chile, hopefully there is an arrangement for everyone" (Cooperativa.cl ; chilean media)

The national coach had words for the social outbreak that is lived in our country.

12:28 - 07/11/2019

The Chilean technical director Manuel Pellegrini referred to the social outbreak that is currently happening in our country, mentioning that he is experiencing the situation "with concern", but that he hopes "there will be an arrangement for all".

"Chile has always been my country. When I have time I spend my vacations and I have my relatives, children, grandchildren and friends living there. The truth has been unfortunate everything that has happened, especially for the economic consequences that have generated so much destruction and negative image, "commented the" Engineer "exclusively with Radio Mitre of Argentina.

In the same vein, he pointed out that: "In principle, Chile seemed a fairly stable country but with some social problems behind. I live with concern about what is happening in the country, hopefully there will be an arrangement for everyone," he said.

In addition, Pellegrini said: "It has taken a long time to regain the image of a stable country. This situation also cost us out of important sporting and political events."

On the other hand, the coach talked about his football present, ensuring that West Ham is in a "decline", but that they hope to regain ground.

"The English league has always been very competitive. At this time we had a small decline, we started the season very well and we hope to return to the road of victory as soon as possible," he said.

Asked about a possible return to lead a large club in South America, Pellegrini said: "I really had unforgettable stages in Argentine football, but today I am mentalized in England and I have no intention of returning."

"It will always be attractive that the name of one is in the orbit of a large club in Argentina. You can never rule out anything, but I have a contract for another year with West Ham and I see my future for Europe," he concluded.

https://www.alairelibre.cl/noticias/dep ... 00026.html
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:34 pm They are so predictable aren't they.

If poor signings was a reason to lose your job then Sullivan should have sacked himself years ago.
Hear, hear...

We’ve had a few dodgy signings under El Pell but bloody hell... Enner Valencia, Pablo Barrera, even if people are being critical of Roberto as a free transfer back up keeper you only have to go back to Ruud Boffin.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

After watching Claudio Bravo last night, I'm glad we have Roberto!