Burnley 3-0 West Ham Utd (09/11/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: ⚽ Burnley FC v West Ham United: Match thread (09/11)

Post by richneal »

swash wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:20 pm Those calling for Martin, has anyone actually seen him play? I saw him once on telly last season, and he let in an absolute howler
Exactly, our hearts say one thing and heads say another. Putting him in could be a mare - he'd get all the support at KO but our mob these days are happy to turn on any player at the minute. Mike Butler's argument is that Young Stretch's rough and tumble lower league experience will be an improvement on things, "With a tough trip to Burnley this weekend, Pellegrini should look at dropping Roberto for Martin, who with more than 300 Football League appearances is surely a better bet to deal with the inevitable aerial bombardment at Turf Moor."
[
url]https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... is-weekend[/url]
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

bottom line is that both Roberto and martin are rubbish. our situation is a bit different to man city who will be without ederson but can bring in their firmer number 1 bravo who cost 35m .

different league
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Happy we are playing away tomorrow. The OS has become too much of a pressure cooker environment to play in for our players when the :thdn: hits the fan. Hopefully our flair players play without fear and manage to put together a more fluid performance in attack. Not once this season have we played a game where we have created chance after chance so am hoping, like every week, that this weekend will be the weekend where it clicks.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

If Pele plays Noble in the advanced position again he will be displaying that classic sympton of insanity.....

Repeating an oft repeated action and expecting a different outcome.

Get him back alongside Rice and let's acknowledge that even if there is hard work being done by A.M's in getting back,they ain't doing much when they get there. Let 'em save their sparse energy for attacking.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

Don't think I've ever seen a match thread against a team lower than us in the League where the majority (myself included) are going for the opposition to trounce us by 3 goals or more. If it was Man City or Liverpool it would be understandable but Burnley ffs! Safe to say confidence and faith in our team as hit a bit of an all time low.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Expect the unexpected - a comfortable 3-1 away victory!
BostonHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by BostonHammer »

Anyone else have renewed confidence in Roberto after watching YorksHammer's highlight reel of him? Maybe he's under immense pressure and needs time?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

BostonHammer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:32 pm Anyone else have renewed confidence in Roberto after watching YorksHammer's highlight reel of him? Maybe he's under immense pressure and needs time?
No!
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 pmRoberto already has more Premier League saves to his name than Fabianski, despite having made two less appearances. We'd have been 5 or 6 down against Newcastle without him, he made three stops against Bournemouth to preserve the draw, if I remember rightly, stopped the Everton game being a 4-0 loss. His shot stopping is strong, his command of the box is poor - not unlike Adrian, to be honest.
Funny how these facts have gotten completely glossed over. Yes he's made a few high profile errors (3 by my count) but he's had an absolute shambles in front of him in virtually every game he's played so far. I can't really see how Martin would be any better and the youtube video posted on this thread would suggest I'm right. Fabianski is injured until December so all we can do is support our stand-in goalkeeper rather than getting on his back every 5 minutes. He made 9 saves against Everton and 6 against Newcastle (check the fantasy football stats), that more than offsets the errors he's made imo (which can be partly attributed to the jokers he's had in front of him). I can't see how Adrian would have done much better either he always had a few clown moments in his game
Last edited by Irrons on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

Roberto isn’t good enough for a premier league team.

That’s just my opinion based on watching him play for us in the flesh, in every game he’s played for us since Fab got injured.

Nothing to do with whoscored or transfermarket or what Hugh Southon thinks etc etc

Not based on some shots being aimed at him

Based on his distribution, his positioning, his lack of concentration, his lack of communication with those in front of him.

No point in making excuses and not his fault we decided to gamble on Fab never getting injured and then getting injured
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

This is going to be grim, isn't it? :lol:

Last season was one of the most pathetic, wimpish performances I've ever seen a West Ham team give - and god knows there's been plenty.

Last time we went there with Allardyce (yes, I know), we won 3-1 and scored some belting goals....
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1163 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 pm This is going to be grim, isn't it? :lol:

Last season was one of the most pathetic, wimpish performances I've ever seen a West Ham team give - and god knows there's been plenty.

Last time we went there with Allardyce (yes, I know), we won 3-1 and scored some belting goals....
For some utterly irrational reason I think we’re going to win mate. No idea why. Have been pretty confident of us losing the last few games as we’ve lost our way and not a single player is in form apart from Snod but can’t shake the optimism for this one. I think their strikers are the exact sort that give our defence problems, I have absolutely no confidence in our goalkeeper, their midfield will work harder in one game than ours do in a season, and they’re a decent defending side with strength and discipline. Also think our manager has lost it with his persistence with 4-1-4-1 and he has no idea what his best balanced side is. Finally, they will be well up for it after losing badly last week. (Reading that back I expect Cuenca to ask me other than that, how was the play mrs Lincoln....lol)

Yeah, seems grim. No idea why I feel positive, maybe I’m in denial but.....just a feeling
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Irrons wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:38 pm Funny how these facts have gotten completely glossed over. Yes he's made a few high profile errors (3 by my count) but he's had an absolute shambles in front of him in virtually every game he's played so far. I can't really see how Martin would be any better and the youtube video posted on this thread would suggest I'm right. Fabianski is injured until December so all we can do is support our stand-in goalkeeper rather than getting on his back every 5 minutes. He made 9 saves against Everton and 6 against Newcastle (check the fantasy football stats), that more than offsets the errors he's made imo (which can be partly attributed to the jokers he's had in front of him). I can't see how Adrian would have done much better either he always had a few clown moments in his game
Not a bad opinion, Irrons.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Packed my bag.

The forecast is for 60% rain throughout the day and a high of 4 degrees.

Flooding permitting, hoping to meet some of our northern bastards crew and looking forward to it.

I think that if MP changes the shape of the team a bit and gives Yarmolenko, Haller and Anderson the shield they need, then we can get something. Despite getting unfounded criticism for not tracking etc, Anderson imho does too much of it. He plays too much in our half and not enough around their box. I’d play him central and let loose his undoubted class.

Anyway, f*** it, I prefer games when the chips are down and it’s miserable. Makes the cheer all the cheerier.
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

Doc, with you all the way on the analysis, especially your comments about Anderson. We haven't had a player of his undoubted class for some time, a more rounded player than Payet certainly. I heard it was sleeting tomorrow rather than rain - i'm wrapping up warm.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:43 pm The forecast is for 60% rain throughout the day and a high of 4 degrees.
My seaweed says 22/23% chance of rain during the match. 4°yes but feeling like 1° :shock: a day to wrap up warm.
Safe journey, Doc (& everyone else that's going) & bring us back 3 points!
traxop

Post by traxop »

Well, hopefully the last few weeks of humbling performances has weened us of the idea that all our attacking players need to track back all the time. People need to stop viewing it as some sort of an ultimate act of 'phauson'.

I don't have a problem with the slow build up in the first few weeks, but it's painfully obvious we aren't controlling matches anymore and don't have the same defensive solidity either. So let's cheat a little and let our attacker players off the shackles and let them get some confidence back.

I don't want our midfielders take the easy option, I don't want to see Rice repeatedly shovel the ball to Anderson on the side lines when Anderson doesn't have partner overlapping or at least someone that he can play around the corner to. It's just a low percentage play. Hopefully we commit someone through the middle, so we can at least have Haller in an more advanced position.

If anything we need to play smarter rather than harder(the second of which is really just a short term band-aid and not sustainable), I rather our players sprint 10 metres to shake off an opponent or show for the ball in space rather than make repeated lung-busting runs chasing shadows.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:32 am I've read that and its hard to argue against it. Didnt realise Alvin's son has over 300 League appearances under his belt, that and he should be better able to deal with Burnley's inevitable aerial bombardment convinces me we should hand him the gloves tomorrow
What I took from YorksHammers, 'Roberto highlights reel' was that yes, he can stop shots but they do have a tendency to come straight back out. More often that not, he doesn't seem to save & then hold on to the ball. So, +1 for stopping the shot but -1 for then not keeping it safe.
Martin does have over 300 league appearances (& is not young & green as grass as Bywater was, all those years ago) but that can present a question. Why hasn't a 'big club' (ahem, present club excepted) picked him up by now? I get the feeling that he was bought, to only play if both Fab & Rob were injured.
I don't mind which of the 2 are in goal for us tomorrow but my only fear if it's Martin, is that it could kill whatever confidence Roberto has still got remaining. If Martin then has a 'mare (bearing in mind our sometimes dodgy defence that would be in front of him), it could ruin him as well. At a stroke, both back up keepers, done for confidence.
Patito

Post by Patito »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:21 pm bottom line is that both Roberto and martin are rubbish. our situation is a bit different to man city who will be without ederson but can bring in their firmer number 1 bravo who cost 35m .

different league
You are so ****ing boring mate
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 435 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Burnley's big lads to steamroll our lot.

BUR 2-9 WHU