👋 Farewell, Pablo Fornals

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Patito

Re: Pablo Fornals

Post by Patito »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:18 pm That describes Anderson and Lanzini as well.
:?
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:36 pm I’m all for not writing him off and giving him the time to settle but I’m trying to think of any foreign signing who actually did come good after a really poor start.

Recent buys either seem to hit the ground running like Payet, Lanzini and Haller - or never improve like Zaha, Nordvelt and to a lesser extent Masuaku.
Ever remember Fabregas, when he started for Arse? Lightweight young spaniard, and look where he ended up, Pellers ain't stupid, he has a plan, he was at Villareal ffs
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not sure comparing him Fabregas is relevant. he moved to Arsenal when he was about 16 I think.

(born in 87, moved in 2003) and made his debut as a 17 year (or thereabout) in 2004-2005 and played 33 times

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesc_F%C3%A0bregas

It was not until the start of the 2004–05 season that the Spaniard started making first team appearances in matches outside the League Cup. His first match of the season was against Manchester United in the FA Community Shield. Following an injury to Vieira, Fàbregas stepped in and made four consecutive Premier League starts. He was praised for his performances in those games, even claiming a goal against Blackburn Rovers in a 3–0 victory, and becoming Arsenal's youngest-ever goalscorer in a league game
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

The press and people I know who closely follow football in La Liga think he's an amazing prospect
We're 9 games into his first season in English football - crazy to write him off already.

True he was very poor against Everton, but no worse than the rest of the midfield.
And ironically I thought he was starting to get into the match when Pelle hooked him

Patience and understanding is needed
Patito

Post by Patito »

libero wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:45 pm The press and people I know who closely follow football in La Liga think he's an amazing prospect
We're 9 games into his first season in English football - crazy to write him off already.

True he was very poor against Everton, but no worse than the rest of the midfield.
And ironically I thought he was starting to get into the match when Pelle hooked him

Patience and understanding is needed
:thup: He got closer to Haller at the start of the second half and volleyed just wide. Then we brought him off.

23 years old, new country, new league, new team, new system, played out of position (imo), he's played a total of 405 minutes in the Premier League, give him time and he will come good, he has bags of ability.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

for a team that hasn't been firing on all cylinders all season.

problem is Pat, he's not what we really needed with that 24M. not his fault at all.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:37 pm for a team that hasn't been firing on all cylinders all season.

problem is Pat, he's not what we really needed with that 24M. not his fault at all.
You say that but if - as I and others have speculated - we've spent the £24m to have him replace Noble within the next 12-18 months then it will be £24m very well spent.

The timing of the deal was crucial on that point as well - we got it done before he went off and had an impressive summer with the Spain youth set up and raised his profile and, potentially, his price.

I don't particularly think he's being served well as a kind of utility attacking midfielder, playing left, right, and central as needs be, but I think this is also all part of Pellegrini recognising he needs some time to bed in. What I'd rather see is that he sits on the bench and comes on for Noble for the last 20-30 minutes of games wherever that is possible.

We can argue until the cows come home about where the money should have gone (Sangare was available for €25m, if the rumours are true) but there's certainly potential for this to look like a very good deal in a year or so's time.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

trouble is Yorks, with us it's a case of virtually every player we sign (due to under-investment for so long) is a "now" player and we are not in a position to sign someone with the next 18-24 months in mind.

and buying a Pulgar, Sangare would have accomplished the "now" problem.

other teams can sign umpteen players and stack them away.

Liverpool need "now" players and buy what they need.

Spurs are like us, buying players for the future, not succeeding now and consequently will end up losing their better players.

if we continue to finish something like 10th, the Anderson's, Rice's and Haller's of the world are going to want out leaving us with even more holes to fill.

it's like Whack-A-Mole
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:09 pm trouble is Yorks, with us it's a case of virtually every player we sign (due to under-investment for so long) is a "now" player and we are not in a position to sign someone with the next 18-24 months in mind.
Agreed, which is a shame. There's so much pressure on players to perform immediately.
Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:09 pm and buying a Pulgar, Sangare would have accomplished the "now" problem.
Not sure it would have though. They may well have needed a bedding in period as well.
Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:09 pm Liverpool need "now" players and buy what they need.
Not always. Fabinho wasn't integrated into that team until right at the end of the season. Naby Keita still isn't in that starting line-up either.
Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:09 pm if we continue to finish something like 10th, the Anderson's, Rice's and Haller's of the world are going to want out leaving us with even more holes to fill.
Unfortunately, this is true.
Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:09 pm it's like Whack-A-Mole
That it is. :D
ads78
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by ads78 »

I feel sorry for Fornals. He has been brought in either as a CM or a #10. However most of the time he has spend on the pitch he has been playing as a wide AM.

He is one of the stars of the Spain U21 team, so there is clearly a talent there. We should just put him in the position that he is going to be playing long-term and play him regularly. He might have the odd bad game, but that is to be expected with a relatively young player in a new country, however at least in his correct position we can properly judge him. It will allow him to adapt to the pace of the premier league without also having the pressure of adapting to a new role.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Blimey - I'd forgotten Liverpool even had Naby Keita. Seems he's had a few injuries but he's yet to pin down a starting place in the Liverpool team and has only played 2000 minutes for them since joining 18 months or so ago.

Cheeky loan bid in January?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

they bought a couple of players that never worked out...

bit like Bakayoko at Chelsea. think Keita might be the same(ish)

in fact it's weird but out of that Monaco team, Fabinho struggled, Bakayoko bombed out and Thomas Lemar at Atheltico Madrid isn't pulling up trees either.

M'bappe is the real deal of course. Bernardo Silva is a big time player but he was in and out of the team when he first came.

adjusting to another team and environment when now you are not the biggish fish in a small pond (Monaco)
Unlucky Alf

Post by Unlucky Alf »

He looks far too lightweight to me. Needs to strengthen up a bit.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

This should be the signing that gets Husillos the sack. Everyone knows we desperately needed a replacement for Kouyate, the last thing we needed was another lightweight!

Our midfield has zero backbone. Where's the Box-To-Box midfield general? :evil:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WestHamIFC wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:31 pm This should be the signing that gets Husillos the sack. Everyone knows we desperately needed a replacement for Kouyate, the last thing we needed was another lightweight!

Our midfield has zero backbone. Where's the Box-To-Box midfield general? :evil:
quite a few on here said that we didn't need no headless chicken running around in the midfield and if Pellers didn't want one, that was good enough for them

:asleep:
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

I thought it was clear that Pellers did want one, something changed during the transfer window, my onion was that forthcoming funds that were promised if we slashed the wage bill, never happened.

Re Fornals, thought he did ok today, certainly wasn't the worst player on show. He'll do well probably at the next club Pellers manages
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:34 pm quite a few on here said that we didn't need no headless chicken running around in the midfield and if Pellers didn't want one, that was good enough for them
Please do point out where I said anything about signing a 'headless chicken'.. :eh:
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

Its impossible to judge this player given how the season is going. I still believe he was bought as a replacement for Noble.
Playing him mostly out wide in a team that is shot to pieces doesn't give us a far barometer. Id expect he would look pretty decent at Leicester or Wolves
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

Its impossible to judge this player given how the season is going. I still believe he was bought as a replacement for Noble.
Playing him mostly out wide in a team that is shot to pieces doesn't give us a far barometer. Id expect he would look pretty decent at Leicester or Wolves
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

BubbleBoy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:12 pm Its impossible to judge this player given how the season is going. I still believe he was bought as a replacement for Noble.
It's far more urgent to buy a long overdue upgrade on Kouyate. Someone like a Dacoure, Gueye or a modern day Alex Song (before his injury).