West Ham Utd 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur (23/11/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Re: West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur: Match Thread 23/11/2019

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Early kick offs normally fail to really get going in my perception. Therefore I will revise my 5-0 loss to a mere 4-0 battering. Our fans will still be half asleep and/or will want to get on with their day promptly so not likely to riot.

Our confidence is shot to bits. It is not even brittle; it is non-existent. Our players walk onto the pitch almost expecting a defeat.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Sloop John B wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:13 pm Rather have this game than another bottom half team
Alas spurs are 14th and 1 point ahead of us :D
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

The game will start slowly.

We go 1-0 up on the 15th minute and ride our luck for a bit and nearly make it 2-0.

Then we concede just before half-time.

We capitulate in the second half and lose 4-1.

West Ham is like a badly written soap opera and will always be. Even the so-called good seasons we have had in the last couple of decades have usually disappointed. Lose FA Cup Final in 2006. Top 4 at Christmas under Allardyce and then we have a poor second half of the season. Bilic's good season ended on a whimper to ****ing Stoke. Had to use the play-offs to get back up every time we got relegated. My glass is not just half empty but actually empty when it comes to football at the moment.
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Modern »

Spurs will lose.

I'm usually always optimistic but whatever is happening right now Spurs look shambolic. I think people are being very kind expecting Spurs to turn up and roll West Ham over, we have not done that to anyone for close to a year. If you think how Spurs played in the 0-1 at Spurs last season, that's how we're playing still, nothing to fear for any team.

It's amazing how both teams seem to be falling apart in close to identical ways but with West Ham at home Spurs will simply find it too difficult.

I'd actually like Spurs to play a very young team (Walker-Peters, Skipp and so on) on the basis that they actually might be motived, but Pochettino won't do this.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

WE WILL SWAP YOU A PELLE FOR YOUR POCH !
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by Denzil »

I'll be watching this from a 28 mile long rock in the middle of the Atlantic Sea rather than my usual seat in Billy Bonds. At least I can turn the tele off.

Like many here I have a few Spurs mates and they are going through it too. Confidence for them is rock bottom, can see it being a draw 1-1 especially given the early KO.

We have to give the kid Martin a run out. He simply cannot be worse than Roberto. I still cannot work out why Ogbonna was dropped, but I would recall him. I like him and Diop at the back together. We need pace in the side too so Masuaku and Fredericks must play along with Antonio even if it is his first game back. The central midfield slots are very very worrying though. They will just get bullied but we have nothing else to work with in there.

Martin
Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Masuaku
Rice
Fornals - Snodgrass
Antonio - Haller - Anderson
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

I feel so sorry for Roberto. If he wasn't already shot to pieces, his performance on Saturday must have finished him off. Yes, his form deserves him to get dropped but, I still don't know what I would do in Pelboy's place.
I don't know if our support have been getting on his back but I hope they realise the effect that they're going to have, if they do. It isn't going to encourage him or make him play better, put it that way. I don't care how bad somebody is, if you're loudly condemning him, you're doing the opposition's job for them.
Pelboy & staff can see; they don't need loudly reminding about his mistakes & performances. It's not going to help & will only make things worse for him & us. We don't need another Mervyn Day saga.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

On the one hand, it's hard to pick a team, based on performances being so consistently crap, but OTOH we're running out of players.

In Goal, whoever looks least bad in training over the next couple of weeks. Or a left over Guy from fireworks night
Defence: Fredricks, Diop, Ogbonna, and god help us, Masuaku.

Midfield: Snodgrass, Fornals, Rice

Attack: Yarmalenko, Haller, Anderson.

Subs: a large prairie full of tumbleweed, plus maybe Antonio or even more miraculously, Reid.

Most optimistic outcome: a dreadful 0-0 draw full of crowd unrest and chants of "sack the board", followed by a 95th minute goal from Antonio and a repeat of last season's goal celebrations. Well, we can but hope. More likely, a monumental crapfest full of missed passes, crap defending and penalty-box pinball, with Spurs getting half a dozen lucky rebounds and Roberto throwing the ball into the net. Followed by a Burnley-esque protests,... so not all bad.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:57 pm On the one hand, it's hard to pick a team, based on performances being so consistently crap, but OTOH we're running out of players.

In Goal, whoever looks least bad in training over the next couple of weeks. Or a left over Guy from fireworks night
Roberto could do with a rocket up his arse..
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Forgot there was a break before the Tottenham game which perhaps will see Mark Noble return fit for duty - that has given me hope .

Declan Rice seems lost without his Mentor / Captain alongside him and it's during these games that Noble seems to regain his mojo - so , hold your horses and lets rip up that 0-2 score and replace it with............a Home Win to the Mighty West Ham , lets not allow ' No wins since August ' to get us all down . :) You know it makes sense .

West Ham United 2 Tottenham Hotspur 1
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

the 1 game i look forward to the least . i really cant see us getting anything , we're too fragile all over the place , i can see son getting 1 penalty at least
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

who on their team hasn't played well, hasn't scored for ages or both ?

lump on him to get the winner - a contested penalty that VAR couldn't spot because the internet went down !!!!!

:D

think it was the Athletico Madrid game yesterday or maybe another - anyway the ref gets notified it might be a penalty. waits, waits, waits, get the nod to go to the sideline, indicates "screen" then when he gets there - nothing. he waits for ages it seems staring at a logo.

:lol:

I was thinking that about sums VAR up (they did get a picture eventually and he gave the pen - but it was hilarious)
Samba

Post by Samba »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:18 pm who on their team hasn't played well, hasn't scored for ages or both ?

lump on him to get the winner - a contested penalty that VAR couldn't spot because the internet went down !!!!!

:D

think it was the Athletico Madrid game yesterday or maybe another - anyway the ref gets notified it might be a penalty. waits, waits, waits, get the nod to go to the sideline, indicates "screen" then when he gets there - nothing. he waits for ages it seems staring at a logo.

:lol:

I was thinking that about sums VAR up (they did get a picture eventually and he gave the pen - but it was hilarious)
We ain't got the wifi. It'll be a blackboard & chalk for us..
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Im absolutely astounded that some people would still have Roberto in goal :shock:
rossmundo

Post by rossmundo »

Martin

Fred Diop Balbena Ogbonna Masuaku

Snodgrass Rice Fornals

Anderson(float)

Haller

And let Diop push into Midfield when needed.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Samba wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:33 pm We ain't got the wifi. It'll be a blackboard & chalk for us..
they used to say "they don't have instant replay in Russia. they just make them do it over again."

Sadly that applies to us as well I reckon......
rossmundo

Post by rossmundo »

Samba wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:05 pm Roberto could do with a rocket up his arse..
Roberto could do with a lift to Stansted Airport, with a one way ticket.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Roberto
Fredericks
Masuaku
Diop
Ogbonna
Sanchez
Rice
Snodgrass
Fornals
Anderson
Yarmo
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

rossmundo wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:35 pm Im absolutely astounded that some people would still have Roberto in goal :shock:
My Millwall supporting (I know) brother-in-law reckons Martin is one of, if not the worst, goalies he's ever seen play for his beloved club. Maybe he's being mischievous with me but what a shambles to have two such poor backups to Fabianski. Dodgy keepers equal dodgy results. Wonderful recruitment eh?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

thing is the back up goalies get no game time.

on the bench waiting for the No.1 to get hurt. the number 3 doesn't play for the under-23's either - so Martin will come in never seeing a ball kicked in anger

:asleep: