Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: Beer/Lager Thread

Post by FreeWheeling »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 pm
Also ordered a load form Beer Hawk - mostly Weissbier, Gueze and a bottle of Trippel Karmalite which is one of the best Belgian blonde beers out there at the moment.

I'm thinking about doing my own youtube channel reviewing beers but I'd probably end up too pissed to be making any sense.
And yet it does not stop you coming on here :wink:

What are Beer Hawk like to deal with chap, I keep viewing the contents of the website but I am reluctant to order beer online
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

I've used Beer Hawk a couple of times - were good. They have a few pubs in London now so just collected in store. They're brilliant for German and Belgian stuff at prices you can't really get elsewhere. Crap for English stuff - probably due to the fact they're owned by AB InBev.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:23 pm they do get good write ups - but Japanese "whisk(e)y"

:shock:

nah.....................................................................right up there with Pakistani Beaujolais

:wink:
Pains me to say it but fmgod is right on this one :thup:

Japanese stuff is more similar to your scotch than your bourbon/rye though.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 335 likes
Total likes: 706 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

FreeWheeling wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 pm And yet it does not stop you coming on here :wink:
Ha! Of course not :lol:
What are Beer Hawk like to deal with chap, I keep viewing the contents of the website but I am reluctant to order beer online
They're not bad. I only use them for stuff that's hard to get hold of. It's worth hunting stuff down in the supermarkets and if you really can't get them there then Beer Hawk are a good option. Not had a problem with them so far.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1966 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Pat

but bourbon isn't supposed to be like Scotch - it's completely different

what the really good one do though is age the spirits in oak barrels. Single Malt has to be at least 7 years old - and guess what - it's aged in bourbon barrels mostly !!!!!!

:wink:

The selection of casks can affect the character of the final whisky. Outside of the United States, the most common practice is to reuse casks that previously contained American whiskey, as US law requires several types of distilled spirits to be aged in new oak casks. To ensure continuity of supply of used oak casks some Scottish distilling groups own oak forests in the US and rent the new barrels to bourbon producers for first fill use. Bourbon casks impart a characteristic vanilla flavour to the whisky.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drin ... ky-brands/

not a Japanese one amongst them !!!!!!!!!

:P

https://www.masterofmalt.com/country-st ... lt-whisky/

they're also bloody expensive in comparison
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

Picked up some St Stefanus, Blonde and Blanche , these are brewed to mature in the bottle
I will give them a go and see how they are, if good I might get a few bottles and throw them in the back of the shed to mature for a year or two
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

FreeWheeling wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:19 pm Picked up some St Stefanus, Blonde and Blanche , these are brewed to mature in the bottle
I will give them a go and see how they are, if good I might get a few bottles and throw them in the back of the shed to mature for a year or two
Worth getting some of the Fullers Vintage Ale 2019 if you see them. Often in Waitrose. £6 a bottle, but quite a market for old bottles. I have a few knocking about the house. None as old as this though...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fullers-Vint ... SwCqZcfWUf
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

I see that in waitrose today, they are charging 8 sovs in Salisbury

edit I am talking b*llocks
that was the imperial stout
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

back in the summer i visited ' de hems' dutch bar in soho .( worth a visit if you have not been GO )
had a few halfs of ' la trappe' (trappist)blond at 6.6 % lovely drop of stuff
was one of my highlights of 2019 . :D
ayriron
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ayriron »

daytimedave wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:34 pm back in the summer i visited ' de hems' dutch bar in soho .( worth a visit if you have not been GO )
been there a few times some cracking beers
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

daytimedave wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:34 pm back in the summer i visited ' de hems' dutch bar in soho .( worth a visit if you have not been GO )
If you like De Hems give The Bolton and Proeflokaal Rembrandt a go. Pretty amazing. Proeflokaal Rembrandt is downstairs and has loads of Dutch and Belgian beer. 100 or so different ones.

https://www.proeflokaalrembrandt.co.uk/
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1669 likes
Total likes: 518 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Punk IPA - A nice cross between a larger and a Light ale, Very drinkable.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1966 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

only 4 months before I can swallow some of the lovely American Craft IPA's ...

but whose counting ?

:D
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

WHU Independent wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:31 pm Punk IPA - A nice cross between a larger and a Light ale, Very drinkable.
Yes, very nice and one of those that tastes better out of a can than draft or bottle. Brewdog's seasonal variations are always worth a snifter too.

Had a similar 'bridge' lager to ale type with Laguanitas 12th of Never Ale. Pale, but with enough hoppy bitterness to make it interesting. Very refreshing.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Tried a few new ones recently whilst on my summer travels on the boat

Birra Messina - Sicily - lager - there are a few variations but the classic (yellow label) was nice. There is one with salt crystals added, I didn't much like it, light blue label.

Pietra - Corsica - lager - stunning, right up there with my favourites. Light, very refreshing, unsurprisingly similar to Ichnusa from neighbouring Sardinia.

Mahou - Menorca - lager - again very nice.
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

I am quite fond of Peroni Gran Riserva Birra Doppio Malto in the summer
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1091 likes

Post by Rio »

I’ve ordered a Canvent calender from Flavourly. Toying with giving the Beer52 the tin tack too.

I’m more inclined to order directly with breweries in the future. Maybe get the odd mixed case from one of the beer sites every now and then. I’ve tried far too many beers than is healthy. I’ve got my go to choices honed now. So my journey is probably going to wind down
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

I enjoy a Guinness or five, at this time of year, definitely a winter drink.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

Rio wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:56 pm I’ve ordered a Canvent calender from Flavourly. Toying with giving the Beer52 the tin tack too.

I’m more inclined to order directly with breweries in the future. Maybe get the odd mixed case from one of the beer sites every now and then. I’ve tried far too many beers than is healthy. I’ve got my go to choices honed now. So my journey is probably going to wind down
I'm going to bin Beer52 off. I did a 3 month freeze in the summer/autumn, and they've dropped my subscription to £23 for 10 beers a month, but the standard has very much dropped from last summer. Far too many crappy milkshake IPA and funky flavours. I've had a few that were that bad I poured them down the sink.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

S-H wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:19 am I enjoy a Guinness or five, at this time of year, definitely a winter drink.
Especially if I'm a bit constipated. :shock: