Chelsea 0-1 West Ham Utd (30/11/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Graza

Re: ⚽ Chelsea v West Ham United: Match thread (30/11)

Post by Graza »

What's with all the doom and gloom. With Antonio back it will be 6-1
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Sanchez will play. Pelle brought him on yesterday specifically to give him some game time and tbf he did well
We won 2-0 whilst he was on

Playing him allows us to drop into a back 3 if required
Graza

Post by Graza »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:16 am Sanchez will play. Pelle brought him on yesterday specifically to give him some game time and tbf he did well
We won 2-0 whilst he was on

Playing him allows us to drop into a back 3 if required
If Sanchez plays from the start I'm changing my prediction to 9-0
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2034 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Graza wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:06 am If Sanchez plays from the start I'm changing my prediction to 9-0
Sanchez adds balance to the side and helps take away some of the stupid amount of defensive responsibility that is shouldered on Rice.

Is Sanchez a great standard DM? No...Does he have the experience of the position at a decent level to help the team function better? Yes...

Our best 11 won’t be the best 11 names we can find. With the team we’ve got and the run of results we are on we need to find an 11 that works properly.
ads78
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by ads78 »

------------------Roberto
Fredericks---Rice---Ogbonna---Arthur
------------------Sanchez
-------------Noble---Snodgrass
------Antonio---Haller---Holland

Martin, Cresswell, Balbuena, Coventry, Fornals / Wilshere, Ajeti, Yarmolenko

Get as much pace and energy into the team as possible (harder said than done in midfield - would love to see Cullen come back in Jan to add some energy!!). Tell Sanchez that he is never to be more than 10 yards ahead of the defence
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

It's damage limitation time: the difference between survival and relegation this season could come down to GD, and currently of the bottom half a dozen clubs ours doesn't look as bad as at least 3 others.

The problem is the Managers stubbornness, regardless of the current reality of having a poor keeper, shorn of confidence, and whose abject performances are destroying the confidence of all around him, the manager refuses to set us up to give the keeper more protection.

One reason for that is his signings - he's being held hostage by having signed players ill equipped to deal with the current reality, and he's reluctant to pick the water carriers needed to do the dirty work.

Ultimately it's that stubbornness that will cost him his job, but with a certain £10-£12m pay off he won't be too worried.

----------------------------------Roberto-------------------------------

Fredericks--------------Oggy--------------Diop----------Cresswell

----------------------Rice-------------------------Sanchez-------------

Antonio-------------------------Noble(c)------------------Snodgrass

---------------------------------Haller---------------------------------

Bench - Martin,Yarmo,Anderson,Lanzini,Wilshere,Masuaku,Balbuena

He needs to tell his £45m signing to stop feeling sorry for himself and do some ****ing work.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:39 am 6-0 . Never been more certain of anything in my life
50/1 on Sky bet. Some good money to be earned.

I'm certainly going for them to score at least 6, especially if Roberto is between the sticks.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Fat Frank must be creaming himself in anticipation. Imagine the smug interview with Lineker after. Yurgh.
Graza

Post by Graza »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:27 am Sanchez adds balance to the side and helps take away some of the stupid amount of defensive responsibility that is shouldered on Rice.

Is Sanchez a great standard DM? No...Does he have the experience of the position at a decent level to help the team function better? Yes...

Our best 11 won’t be the best 11 names we can find. With the team we’ve got and the run of results we are on we need to find an 11 that works properly.
While that is mostly true, to play Sanchez it would be Noble who gets the chop. As one of a very small group of players who gives a hoot and puts the effort in. He's also our only on field leader. The idea of a 2nd dm to relieve pressure on Rice is a good one. But removing Noble would take what little heart we have out of the team.

I also believe that across 90 minutes he would probably be responsible for 1-3 goals against. Especially against a team as confident and quick going forward as Chelsea.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Good time to face them, as they have just been softened up for us by Man City. They won’t know what has hit them!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Blow Bubbles wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:50 am I read that as him in the middle with Antonio and Anderson (who I’d swap with Snodgrass personally).

The width is from Fredericks and Masuaku.

Although, you’re quite right, will never happen
Yep - that's exactly how I meant it. Also gives us scope to revert to a traditional back 4 if/when needed, with Rice stepping in to midfield alongside Noble as and when required. Dare I say, more of a 4-4-2.

But yes, swap Diop for Balbuena. If Wilshire is fit (ha ha!), along with Sanchez, Fornals, Ajeti, the bench wouldn't look too bad either.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Graza wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:22 pm While that is mostly true, to play Sanchez it would be Noble who gets the chop. As one of a very small group of players who gives a hoot and puts the effort in. He's also our only on field leader. The idea of a 2nd dm to relieve pressure on Rice is a good one. But removing Noble would take what little heart we have out of the team.

I also believe that across 90 minutes he would probably be responsible for 1-3 goals against. Especially against a team as confident and quick going forward as Chelsea.
No reason why you can't play Rice, Sanchez and noble in the middle
I would play Snodgrass as well in an advanced role with Antonio and one other attacking player

Fredericks and masuaku would provide the width and additional attacking
Graza

Post by Graza »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:50 pm No reason why you can't play Rice, Sanchez and noble in the middle
I would play Snodgrass as well in an advanced role with Antonio and one other attacking player

Fredericks and masuaku would provide the width and additional attacking
You could true. Could Pellegrini?

He'll start with the same team I'd wager. He won't drop Anderson, he won't drop Haller, he could swap Yarmalenko and Antonio but I would ease him back. He likes 2 at the back of midfield with one pushing on and one staying along with one off the striker. You could put Noble up top.as his passing can be very good but probably not enough for me.

I would also really worry about the legs in the middle with those three and if Masuaku and Fredricks were expected to do the whole width for the team or would leave the two center halves hopelessly exposed as neither Rice or Sanchez really have the speed to be as helpful as they'd need to be.

Plus Sanchez... In general.
Last edited by Graza on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

18th Century Football to return to SW6 next week
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Messrs Gold and Sullivan, I am available for selection as GK next week, on a free.

You're welcome.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Defeat at the Bridge would see us having taken just 1 point from a possible 21.

With Wolves and Arsenal to come ......
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:12 am Defeat at the Bridge would see us having taken just 1 point from a possible 21.

With Wolves and Arsenal to come ......
Even Guardiola would be sacked on that form
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

ageing hammer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:33 am Even Guardiola would be sacked on that form
Not necessarily.

Take Southampton for example, have a look at their last half a dozen fixtures .They're losing, but they're losing, generally, against the better sides.

Much the same as Newcastle were 6 weeks ago.

We on the other hand have some tricky fixtures to come........to be clear, I'm not calling for the Managers head, what I'm calling for is for the Manager to use his head, show some pragmatism, recognise he has a poor option for a goalie and set the side up accordingly.

Goal difference could really make a difference come May.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

We are going to need extra legs in midfield for this game, Chelsea are playing some good stuff and their midfield is top notch if you let them play.

Can only see a loss, just need to keep it acceptable & at least put in a shift in to give us something to be positive about it.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Graza wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:16 am What's with all the doom and gloom. With Antonio back it will be 6-1
Oddly enough, the last 30 minutes against the front wheels has actually given me a glimmer of hope.