✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

I would make Antonio first name on the team sheet. Tell him to save his energy, no need to over exert and get injured. He would have a free role upfront in my team. He constantly has to prove himself time and time again, it’s sad, as he always proves he’s the best, just not fashionable enough though with a lot of fans and hierarchy.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

surely some of our other attacking players must feel utterly embarrassed by just how much more effective antonio was at literally everything they were supposed to be doing.

in a funny way it takes some of the flack off pellegrini and redirects it to the players. the tactics and selections certainly aren't helping, but bringing on antonio really nailed home just how far below their level the rest of the squad has sunk. haller, anderson, fornals and yarmo cost over £130m combined and offered infinitely less than a single £7m punt from the championship. only so much of the blame for that can go on the manager.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

In the words of Jimmy Greaves..

“football is a funny old game”

This fella was getting coated off to insane levels just before Christmas last year when we played against Macclesfield

A lad behind me shouted, “sell him to this lot” when Antonio went off, looking forlorn and lost
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

e17 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:02 am In the words of Jimmy Greaves..

“football is a funny old game”

This fella was getting coated off to insane levels just before Christmas last year when we played against Macclesfield

A lad behind me shouted, “sell him to this lot” when Antonio went off, looking forlorn and lost
There was a few of us on here passionately defending him through it all E17!
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Going back 25 pages on this thread is an interesting read. Perhaps fans on forums are sometimes a bit too quick to judge.
Mikloskosglovebag

I have always loved him, and always will. My favorite player since Ian Bishop and Alvin Martin.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

I've coated him plenty in the past for his attitude. Didn't like his demeanour under Bilic when he was looking very sulky on the pitch.
However, now, fair do's he is giving it 100% when he's on the pitch. The really frustrating thing is that talent wise, Antonio is not exactly blessed. Where he's making a difference is his current attitude and desire, something which seems to be lacking in our more creative talented players who aren't putting in a shift at all.
Boom Kid
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

I wish we had 10 Michail Antonio's.
We wouldn't be complaining about lack of effort then.
stevieboy
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by stevieboy »

Boom Kid wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:29 pm I wish we had 10 Michail Antonio's.
We wouldn't be complaining about lack of effort then.
I wish we had 11, I'd bet he's a better keeper than Roberto
Penfold711
Has liked: 2070 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Penfold711 »

At least he gives us something we have been lacking in matches; a player that is willing to take a more direct approach and take on defenders while not being afraid to shoot. Granted, he is erratic in his results but this has got to be better than playing tippy-tappy in the final third to zero effect.
Da Vinci
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Da Vinci »

Penfold711 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:46 pm At least he gives us something we have been lacking in matches; a player that is willing to take a more direct approach and take on defenders while not being afraid to shoot. Granted, he is erratic in his results but this has got to be better than playing tippy-tappy in the final third to zero effect.
Yes he is erratic at times but when it comes off it certainly looks good. His goal on Saturday really fizzed in the back of the net. Must start against Chelsea. :scarfer:
Mikloskosglovebag

Bilic signed two players in his position (despite heroic mom performances), and he still managed to come out on top.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

Ive been an avid supporter of Antonio, particularly during the well over top criticism 18 months ago.

Nice to see him ramming many of those comments back down people’s throats. To top it off he seems like a top bloke, certainly not the player who was too big for his boots that some tried to paint him as.

Let’s pray Antonio stays fit and gives some tips to our non existent £40m Brazilian winger who looks a 5th of the player that Antonio is and has done largely so for the last 11 months.

Antonio to start vs Chelsea, Anderson on the bench.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

He had a period where he was pretty poor. Not sure why people take it personally, he's now stayed the course and come back to be vital. Fitness, form, team shape and style, confidence, tactics, position - all these things can hamper or help performance. What wasn't working for him before is either turned around or not part of the game he's playing.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:57 am He had a period where he was pretty poor. Not sure why people take it personally, he's now stayed the course and come back to be vital. Fitness, form, team shape and style, confidence, tactics, position - all these things can hamper or help performance. What wasn't working for him before is either turned around or not part of the game he's playing.
He wasn't fully fit for a long time. It was affecting his game as it is all about pace and poor. My concern is he might suffer a bit from this moving forward if he ha seen rushed back
There was a fair bit of nonsense spouted about his apparent bad attitude
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

He is like most players seemingly nowadays - they can go from very very bad to match winners in a fairly short space of time.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Something certainly went adrift with him around the time of his England call up, he lost his main attributes of enthusiasm and hard work and without those, let's face it, he struggles because technically he's not the best.

He's certainly got that back now and appears to becoming a master of turning fullbacks inside out. Hopefully he stays fit now as we certainly need that energy and ability in the final third.

Very much in the Carlton Cole mould... Have him playing on instinct and quick reactions...capable of anything... give him time and space and Row Z need to be ducking!!
Mikloskosglovebag

Antonio keeps 4 defenders busy while others barely make 1 sweat. Hope he goes to the Euros
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Beast.

He's had his fair share of highs and lows here, but who'd have thought he'd turn out to be one of our most important players.

Please stay fit!!
Softhammer

Post by Softhammer »

Great lad. Putting an effort in, he was absoloutly exhausted by the 75th minute. He should start instead of Haller. Me and my daughter is singing the Antonio song all night long. Get in! :scarfer: