Chelsea 0-1 West Ham Utd (30/11/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Re: ⚽ Chelsea v West Ham United: Match thread (30/11)

Post by ohsnap »

3 points from 6th :scarfer:
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Boghopper wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:40 pm The chaps on the radio, one was Paul Parker seemed well impressed with Balbuena. Said he was winning everything. Not much mention of him on here.
Yes, I did.

Albeit, to be completlly fair, he had a handball at the end of the game that could have been a pen against us. Otherwise he was good, had 2 header, one saved by Kepa, the other a short pass to Antonio he could not get on goal, and a lot of blocks and anticipations..

So we (and he) were lucky to get the better result done to us.
Last edited by Universidad-de-Chile on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

S-H wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:58 pm Did Haller come on today?

If so how did he look?

I thought he looked a little relieved the spot light was off him.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

mattyD wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:19 pm That James, could be a player but blimey he likes a dive, what a shyster.
I Agree, I found him in some early stages of the whole game even better than Williams who can be sometimes a very frustating and unproductive player to watch.. a lot of effort and energy... but not so much end product...

S-H wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:58 pm Did Haller come on today?

If so how did he look?
He did ok, but has almost no contact with the ball... he came in the min 70 something, but to be fair, it was the right call from Pelle letting him out of the start of this game... to the point, I doubt we would have won this with Haller or Diop on... imho.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

antonyirons wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:55 pm Sack the Board........
Yes! We still need rid of them
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Bringing in David Martin changed the mood of the crowd and the team and that was the key to a deserved victory.

I thought Rice was superb today, going forward with the ball more than usual.

Most blatant kicking away of the ball I think I’ve ever seen, Creswell drop kicking it into the crowd.

Is the rent boy song homophobic? Suggestions on twitter that it is.
ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by ammo »

ammo wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:25 pm I think I am in the minority when I say I think we might pull off a shock tomorrow?

COYIs :scarfer:
Well I was in the minority but I just had a feeling that we would do it. Typical West Ham.

Just back from the game, we were excellent and there were so many standout performances, even those who have had weaker seasons like Anderson and Fornals were good. Why or why can't we play like that every week. The eternal question! Pels got his tactics right, shows he can do it - please do it every week boss.

David Martin was excellent, nice and solid. I don't actually think he had too much to do 2nd half. Thought our disallowed goal was harsh - from the quick replay on the screen it looked like it came off Antonio's stomach?

I am not sure we will be able to repeat the performance on Wednesday - a draw will be decent though. COYIs :scarfer:
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Does anyone think the fact we started with 7 British players who all grew up watching the Premier League and understand what it takes to play in the premier league. Give me 100 David Martins over more talented foreign players who don’t give a toss. The reaction of the rest of the team who congratulated Martin showed a spirit and cohesiveness that I didn’t we had. The same was true of the performance. Yarmolenko, Haller and Lanzini are far more talented than pretty much any of the XI who started today, but they were shown that application, effort and graft trump talent every time.
I’d also like to give a thumbs up to Fornals, who didn’t look a thing like the player who starred for the Spanish U21s but ran his socks off.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

Great effort and performance today.
Beating a team that can bring quality like Willan and Kante off the bench, that's got to give you belief!

I really don't care where we are in the league, when your players look like they care, like that, it makes you feel proud.
For 90 mins, I can forget we've got sh*t owners and a sh*t ground.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Peaches wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:59 pm Does anyone think the fact we started with 7 British players who all grew up watching the Premier League and understand what it takes to play in the premier league. Give me 100 David Martins over more talented foreign players who don’t give a toss. The reaction of the rest of the team who congratulated Martin showed a spirit and cohesiveness that I didn’t we had. The same was true of the performance. Yarmolenko, Haller and Lanzini are far more talented than pretty much any of the XI who started today, but they were shown that application, effort and graft trump talent every time.
I’d also like to give a thumbs up to Fornals, who didn’t look a thing like the player who starred for the Spanish U21s but ran his socks off.
First of all, you have to run your socks off in this league, as it is so fast and it is the only way you will stay in games. I want to see us do this in every game, not just the select few whenever we decide we'd better get our act together. Secondly, David Martin was so grateful for the opportunity and hats off to him, he knew what it meant to play for West Ham and that really is the essence of your post
pezza20
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

The board are in a bit of a pickle now having spent all week talking to new managers ....

Pelle at last picks the right side, with the right shape, round pegs in round holes, Fornals in his customary left midfield position, Snods wide right, Antonio tearing around up front and a keeper who looks like one, that in turn breeds confidence through the whole back 4 and they all responded.

How that Antonio goal was chalked off is beyond me, wasn't at all clear from the VAR footage so surely should have been given, VAR are just c**** when they review our games.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

pezza20 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:26 pm The board are in a bit of a pickle now having spent all week talking to new managers ....
If the rumours are true that's what I was thinking.
pezza20
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

If the rumours are true that's what I was thinking.
[/quote]

They were mate - they are ****ing low life scumbags our top brass - no class.

Look at how Spurs and Arsenal conduct themselves, then look at the way our second hand car dealer spivs do things. I have nothing but utter contempt for them all.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Who have the board been taking to? Any names?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

pezza20 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:26 pm
How that Antonio goal was chalked off is beyond me, wasn't at all clear from the VAR footage so surely should have been given, VAR are just ***** when they review our games.
The ref did the VAR dance and indicated that it came off his arm. Live I thought it had come off the defender.

Stupid letting it be known that they had reached out to other managers and lacking in class. It felt like the performance was a big ‘f*** you’ to a number of people.

Best game for a couple of seasons.
erifles

Post by erifles »

Peaches wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:59 pm Does anyone think the fact we started with 7 British players who all grew up watching the Premier League and understand what it takes to play in the premier league. Give me 100 David Martins over more talented foreign players who don’t give a toss. The reaction of the rest of the team who congratulated Martin showed a spirit and cohesiveness that I didn’t we had. The same was true of the performance. Yarmolenko, Haller and Lanzini are far more talented than pretty much any of the XI who started today, but they were shown that application, effort and graft trump talent every time.
Absolutely. It's no coincidence that Antonio has done more in the 90 odd minutes of his return than Haller has done all season. Did you see him getting subbed off? He could barely put one foot in front of the other, he was that knackered. As West Ham United supporters we know that if the players put a shift in every game we will get out of trouble. Players like Haller, Yarmolenko and especially Anderson only like it when things are going well. They're not used to relegation battles and probably feel it's beneath them. Their price tags are'nt justified compared to the bloke we signed from Nottingham Forrest for £6.5 mil.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

As if to crown a smashing day - the guy who played one of the best characters in what was the greatest TV show of all time has just posted this - and at my behest. :scarfer:

https://twitter.com/westhambythesea/sta ... 7105246210
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

brownout wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:25 pm Is the rent boy song homophobic? Suggestions on twitter that it is.
I think that largely depends on if you understand where it comes from.

It’s a song specifically about West London and those posh nob Chelsea ****ers, nothing about sexuality.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

One thing that struck me massively about today's game and how different it was... we weren't a particularly nice side to play against for once. We worked harder. If it made more sense to give away a free kick, we did it. We slowed the clock down and, to home supporters, I reckon we were proper annoying as a result. Good, as it's about time.

It wasn't an Allardycian backs to the walls effort. When we earned the right to play, we played. And despite the lop-sided statistics, we were worthy winners who could / should have had more.

It begs the question as to where this has been and why it's taken a run so drastic for significant changes to be made. And whilst one swallow doesn't make a summer, it shows there's life in this group and this manager which genuinely surprised me, I thought it was gone.
Northammer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Northammer »

It has been a very long time since I cried happy tears after a West Ham game, but seeing Martin break down at full time was too much.

Wolves are absolutely beatable, let’s make it three on the trot.