Bob Willis RIP

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Re: Bob Willis RIP

Post by sendô »

I'm absolutely shocked by this. There was no hint that he was even ill. His family have requested donations to Prostate Cancer UK in lieu of flowers, which is perhaps a hint into what killed him.

It is perhaps somewhat unfair that 1981 was known as "Botham's Ashes", given how instrumental Willis was with that famous 8-43 at Headingly. As someone who wasn't around back then, I know Willis best for his punditry on The Debate, and especially his dry, droll and scathing style. I've always found his comments succinct and insightful, and he always seemed to call the issues correctly.

Vicky Gomersall was in tears reading the news of his death - a mark of how popular he seemed to be with his colleagues.

https://videos.marca.com/v/0_7q517an8-v ... os&count=0
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

R.I.P. Mr Willis.

Again, my mind goes back to that ashes series and that 8-43. Having watched highlights from it recently, the look in his eyes in that spell never left any room for doubt: he was going to bowl them out. The much-used phrase "Steely resolve" could be illustrated with that look.... Those 8 wickets went down as much by willpower as anything else!

By all accounts, universally respected and liked: a proper gentleman and a real legend.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Was proper shocked & saddened when I heard the news last night.

Echo what everyone has said about him. One of my favourite bits about Bob was the 45/60 min cricket show he did in the summer on SKY.

He was so entertaining and when he got the hump he really went into old man mode and was really cutting, just made ma laugh.

RIP great man.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:46 pm He was so entertaining and when he got the hump he really went into old man mode and was really cutting, just made ma laugh.
It's funny, his voice was quite slow and monotonous at times, and like you say he'd go into proper grumpy old man mode when we were playing crap, and yet it was always interesting to listen to what he had to say, and entertaining in it's own way. The Debate will never be the same without him.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

That's it "The Debate", quality show, but Bob will be hugely missed as for me he was "The Debate".
Whitters
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by Whitters »

I've very fond childhood memories of summers spent playing cricket in the park, and trying to imitate Bob's trademark cocked-wrist enormous run up. For those moments we were Bob Willis (until our resulting fast delivery went 5 yards wide of the stumps)
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

sendô wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:07 am

Vicky Gomersall was in tears reading the news of his death - a mark of how popular he seemed to be with his colleagues.

https://videos.marca.com/v/0_7q517an8-v ... os&count=0
That done me. :(
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

There's a really good tribute from TMS on BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07wy8jl
NT Hammer

Post by NT Hammer »

A mate did the MCG tour in Melbourne yesterday & said they did a really nice touch a display of Bob Willis memorabilia at the entrance of the tour
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1881 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Shocking and very sad news.

Like others I can remember watching the Ashes in 81.

Always enjoyed his punditry on Sky too.

RIP.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Couldn't even comment yesterday.
I guess the heroes of your youth pass away and it highlights your own mortality, but this guy,for me was more than just a great cricketer, he was a brilliant bloke.
He loved cricket, red wine and Wagner......How f*ckin cool is that? R.I.P. Bob.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Well Charles....!

Certainly have lost a legend in Bob. He was fantastic in the verdict, no nonsense type which is sadly lacking with modern pundits.

Greatly missed! Go easy.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Whitters wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:52 pm I've very fond childhood memories of summers spent playing cricket in the park, and trying to imitate Bob's trademark cocked-wrist enormous run up. For those moments we were Bob Willis (until our resulting fast delivery went 5 yards wide of the stumps)
We used to do the same - and would see how long we could make our run ups, which would also follow the most ridiculous arc in homage to Bob. RIP Mr 8-43
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Very sad news indeed, a superb fast bowler who gave his all for England and who remains our 4th highest taker of test wickets.

The peak was his 8-43 against Australia a bit of bowling i've only seen bettered by one Englishman, that being Devon Malcoms 9-57 against South Africa.

A bone fide legend of English cricket.

R.I.P.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:44 pm Very sad news indeed, a superb fast bowler who gave his all for England and who remains our 4th highest taker of test wickets.

The peak was his 8-43 against Australia a bit of bowling i've only seen bettered by one Englishman, that being Devon Malcoms 9-57 against South Africa.

A bone fide legend of English cricket.

R.I.P.
Ah yes ! Devon Malcolm. Wasn't he the bloke with no neck?
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Gladstone Small was he of no neck ... he would have been called Gladstone Tall otherwise.
sosc67

Post by sosc67 »

One of my best memories of Bob Willis when he was in Newcastle(oz) he gave a coaching clinic to us young aspiring fast bowlers was there 3 hours giving up his time answering every question thrown out him. Was a Gentlemen of the highest order.