Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by goa127 »

I suspect that Southampton will be do or die for pellers. I'm so disheartened by this season turning to dust so quickly. I should be used to abject failure after 50 years, but from aiming for the stars to hoping to avoid the drop in the space of 6 weeks is amazing even for us.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:49 am According to Moose on TalkSport we have a split decision among the Dildos; one wants him out and the other thinks he can turn it around.
Its been like this with every manager. Wonder which ones which?
Hmmm...……..Must be Sullivan who wants him to stay then, as he has the majority vote
MAC08
Has liked: 42 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by MAC08 »

No chance of Pellegrini being sacked just yet. They will dither on until the end of Jan so that the transfer window has closed. We will be left with the same players whoever takes the reins.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I really hope we stick with Pellegrini because I enjoy to imagine Puff's apoplexy when we confirm thus.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

We have scored 10 and conceded 25 in the last 11 games (all comps). There is nothing this season that suggests Pellegrini will miraculously turn this around. So okay, say we beat Southampton this week, it’s only a matter of time until we get absolutely blown away by Leicester in a couple of weeks time and the whole cycle starts again. We need fresh ideas.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

There are three clubs in this league right now that I think we could aspire to be that is ‘almost’ realistic and would be an improvement.

1. Sheffield United (wait for it!). They have gone the long path with an unknown manager and haven’t broken the bank. Brave of them. They may not still be here at the end of the year, but I think they’ll stay up.

You need patient fans, patient board, and time.

2. Wolves. Found a good manager with a Plan A and Plan B, gave him money, and when it looked a bit patchy at the start of this season they gave him time because they could still see his plan and, with European football, he was delivering on it.

You need a patient board, money and vision.

3. Palace/Burnley. Found good managers for their level/spending, and have stuck with them through thick and thin even when the football is AWFUL.

You need a patient board, patient fans, pragmatism.

Looking at all the above I can see us achieving any of those three (though I know many of us would hate to be Palace/Burnley).

So where do we go from here if we’re doomed to repeat the same mistakes again, and again, and again.

And I lay some of the blame with the new breed of fan, the board make enough knee jerk decisions over the years because we’re threatening to lynch them (not that I think that’s a bad idea, but it shows they also have no real long term vision if it’s so easily derailed).
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

Rays Rock wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:07 pm Who would be the last manager that we had that took the club forward ?

We are, based upon our last league finish, at the same approx point and roughly the same points as we were 10,20 etc... years ago ! But aside from the metric points and position, who was the last manager of the past 20 years that you actually felt the club had moved forward and wasn’t the inconsistent basket case that we are known for ?
Alladyce took us forward from where we were , Pardew too and neither of them had 100k to spend.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

for me the telling thing was how the players reacted to Martin in the Chelski game, seems that they didnt trust the managers decision to play Roberto.
playing a fragile le'arse and we leave Haller on the bench, very odd choices , add in Noble's comments and seems like Pellers is walking the Green Mile.
For ages I have said we needed to recruit young british players and the performance last night goes to show that you can mix top players from all countries and it works, try it with average ones and we get what we have.

time to change the charming man
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

westlondonhammer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:12 am Eddie Howe would be my favourite by far. If not him, as unpopular as it may be I'd say Gerrard.
You can't have looked very closely at Gerrard. The only teams that he can beat are those that spend less than 20% on players and salaries. Whilst he can set a team up he has no idea how to change tactics during a match - normally like-for-like substitutions and no change of game plan. If you think we have some duff signings - he's made 30 since the beginning of last season and only a few now regularly get into his team.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:31 am I am listening to Talksport!! Just to add to my misery from last night.

They are currently talking to Ian Abrahams. He said the board are split and when pressed on who on the board are split, he said it was Gold and Sullivan, one wants a change and one wants to wait and see.

He then said "his sources" say if there is a change they will go for an englishman.
Guess that rules out Moyes & Rafa then.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

mrbluesky wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:35 pm Looking at all the above I can see us achieving any of those three (though I know many of us would hate to be Palace/Burnley).

So where do we go from here if we’re doomed to repeat the same mistakes again, and again, and again.

And I lay some of the blame with the new breed of fan, the board make enough knee jerk decisions over the years because we’re threatening to lynch them (not that I think that’s a bad idea, but it shows they also have no real long term vision if it’s so easily derailed).
I think one of our problems is that as soon as we achieve a respectable league finish we immeadiately anticipate kicking onto the next level...Like if you finish 8th one season, the next season you're going to be challenging for Europe.

Outside of the "top 4" all the premier league clubs suffer boom and bust seasons... Good one year, down the bottom the next year.

We've not done consecutive Top 10 finishes since 2007-08 & 2008-09... Nothing wrong with ambition but I think you need a sense of realism.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

They want an Englishman. Moyes must be gutted then
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Wembley1966 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:45 pm You can't have looked very closely at Gerrard. The only teams that he can beat are those that spend less than 20% on players and salaries.
You know for fact that Porto, Young Boys, Feyenoord all spend less than 20% of Rangers' budget?! Really?? :shock: Source?

Last time I checked Rangers are top of Europa League Group G.

Rangers also played Celtic off the park in the League Cup Final at the weekend, but sadly for them Fraser Forster had the game of his life.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

Sloop John B wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:52 pm Nothing wrong with ambition but I think you need a sense of realism.
100% agree.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:53 pm They want an Englishman. Moyes must be gutted then
Howe , Hughton , Bowyer , Dyche , Wilder..........Redknapp .........Pardew.......
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

Hughton it is until the end of the season, ticks a lot of their boxes
Last edited by Ozza on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Pardew!

I seem to remember him predicting he’d be back one day... something about unfinished business...
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

PlaistowIron wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:33 pm Pardew!

I seem to remember him predicting he’d be back one day... something about unfinished business...
He was looking in a mirror at the time.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

Ozza wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:33 pm Hughton it is until the end of the season, ticks a lot of their boxes
He's Irish isn't he?

Sorry, I'm being that guy... :D
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I think it's about time Sullivan took the job.

Maybe the stress would kill him.
Last edited by S-H on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.