Who Next? The odds

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Re: Who Next? The odds

Post by Irrons »

I would take Hughton on a short term contract for sure. He will sort out this rag-tag bunch of so-called footballers we have at this club
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

The biggest issue with the way these lot appoint managers has always been they have no plan or strategy, There is no consistency in approach between any manager they hire so we go from free flowing managers Zola, Bilic, Pellegrini to Park the bus and hoof it managers like Grant Allardyce and Moyes, and back, The result is that half the players in the squad aren’t suited to the new manager’s style so some are sold and replaced and those that remain struggle to adapt their play for the different approach. They also never give the managers enough money to form the squad they want and even undermine the manager. The result is that we never have a squad that is appropriate for the style of football the manager is trying to play. I’d love for once if we actually came up with a strategy that is more than just reactionary. My dream is that somehow we sign Pochettino , but that’s pretty unrealistic. I hated the football under Moyes, but I’d take him on an 18 month deal to stabilize things provided he was working with a proper DOF to bring in long term signings who can play under any style of manager with the plan to replace Moyes in 18 months with a young progressive manager like a Scott Parker, or Graham Potter or Steve Cooper or even Fat Frank
Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

Bit unfair on Moyes when he got Arnie and Lanzini playing best football of their time here.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

I'm not sure that any of the names mentioned, really grab me.
With two different clubs, Hughton couldn't arrest a downward spiral.
Bournemouth have just lost the last 5 games & have an almost identical record as us, this season.
Moyes again? They say you should never go back. Yes, he did get Arnie firing, but Arnie's not here anymore.
Lets face it, whoever we get, G&S will ruin 'em.
Actually, I could see Pards coming back. Whether that would be good, I'll let others decide..
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

All us mid-table scufflers seem to do the same thing. Even Leicester who are flying now sacked ranieri a few months after winning the league ( with Pearson's team), got puel in who was then sacked for meandering to nowhere before Rodgers came in to get them playing well. Southampton, everton , all searching for the magic ingredient, which is NOT BFS
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Maybe Bournemouth’s form can be attributable
to the fact that Howe has stayed there for as long as he can and the project has gone a bit stale? A bit like what what happened with Pochettino at Tottenham. Maybe the fact that Howe has supposedly shown interest in coming here suggests that he also knows this fact. No one can deny what a fantastic job he has done at Bournemouth. He will have a point to prove at what I believe would be a step up for him, which is the opposite to what the likes of Pellegrini and Ancelotti would have.
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Mikloskosglovebag wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:51 am Bit unfair on Moyes when he got Arnie and Lanzini playing best football of their time here.
Those flip-flop games in the sun at the end of his time here have really distorted people's memory of what it was like for most of it.

There's no other premier league club who would take on Moyes as manager. Not even one with a long history with him like Everton.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 666 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

It's why I have no sympathy for managers. They all bleat about having no time to build etc. But as soon as they are out of work they are in the media or online putting down other managers in the hope of getting a job.

The only manager I have felt an empathy with over the last number of years is Bilic. I felt he actually cared more than just his job.

Moyes was a dreadful panic appointment done on the cheap. A man who didn't think twice about the lack of time given to managers that he was moaning about at Man Utd, when he agreed to join prior to Bilic being sacked.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

One name not mentioned if they were ambitious is Erik Ten Hag - Ajax defeated last night and he plays a truly imaginative brand of football more aligned to what we want to see. If they had any modicum of ambition this is the sort of manager they should be pursuing, niot ****ing Hughton, Moyes et al. Let's face it Moyes football was not much better than BFS's was it.

Beauty is he is probably on f all there and let's face it even if we got Joe Bloggs from a Sunday football league side he would still want to be paid a premium to play for the spivs such is there appalling rep within the market.
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

The most interesting, vaguely possible manager is Lucien Favre, and he's still in work for the time being, although I doubt for very much longer. He nearly always has an impact in the early years of a new job. Tails off after that, but thinking about a time horizon of more than 2 seasons is a mug's game in modern football. If you were going to bin off Pellegrini, it should be for someone of his ability, not someone on the roundabout.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 666 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Agree. I have been saying the Porto manager for a long time. He almost went to Newcastle in the summer, plays great possession football and has an eye for a player
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Ancelotti sacked by Napoli

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50737095

Just get him FFS.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

You have to wonder how much impact the ownership has on the ability to attract a manager of a decent calibre. Ancelotti feels a little fanciful, to put it mildly, why would he come here?

I'm generally not down with sacking managers. However the game has moved on and they're more transient than ever before; what we're left with is a bunch of other clubs who have been more decisive at board level and our lot, who are purveyors of the "just one more game" approach, whilst dropping undermining soundbites into their usual propaganda channels.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 204 likes

Post by Prob »

I doubt Ancelotti is going to want to work with another club who owner/ president are so openly involved and undermining the manager

He will go to Arsenal or Everton
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Iain Dowie.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

pezza20 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:41 am One name not mentioned if they were ambitious is Erik Ten Hag - Ajax defeated last night and he plays a truly imaginative brand of football more aligned to what we want to see. If they had any modicum of ambition this is the sort of manager they should be pursuing, niot ****ing Hughton, Moyes et al. Let's face it Moyes football was not much better than BFS's was it.

Beauty is he is probably on f all there and let's face it even if we got Joe Bloggs from a Sunday football league side he would still want to be paid a premium to play for the spivs such is there appalling rep within the market.
Leaving Ajax to come here? it would be like leaving the Managing Director's job at Harrods to selling sausage rolls in Greggs.

I get your point though, great manager, but he'd get ruined here.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Give it British stodge. The stodgier, the better
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

wormley wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:07 am Leaving Ajax to come here? it would be like leaving the Managing Director's job at Harrods to selling sausage rolls in Greggs.

I get your point though, great manager, but he'd get ruined here.
Wormy - Issue is how did they attract Pelle ... money..A manager like Ten Hag may want to treble his money and boss a premiership side.

Ajax are always cash strapped and playing in the equivalent of the.Jocks league so not bery fulfilling. He is also young but proven. A great candidate rather than the tired old boring safe options no doubt the dwarf and his spivs will go for.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

pezza20 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:40 am Wormy - Issue is how did they attract Pelle ... money..A manager like Ten Hag may want to treble his money and boss a premiership side.

Ajax are always cash strapped and playing in the equivalent of the.Jocks league so not bery fulfilling. He is also young but proven. A great candidate rather than the tired old boring safe options no doubt the dwarf and his spivs will go for.
Eddie Howe seems to still be linked with some of the media. So maybe he'll get the job instead of the so called 'boring safe options'. :thup:

Those rumours about members of his party showing interest doesn't seem to be disappearing.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I'm not bothered who the next manager is, it's the 6 or 7 new players we need I am worried about.

Makes no difference how good the next manager is unless he gets the proper money EVERY season to build us into a top 6 team.

While the dildos are still here that won't happen so it makes no difference who they bring in.

It's like hiring a mechanic to fix your car but you won't allow him to buy the spare parts that are worn out.