Board vs Pellegrini [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Who do you hold chiefly responsible for WHUFC's current position in the EPL?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:34 pm

The board (Sullivan, Gold, Brady etc)
56%
The management team (Pellegrini, Cousillas, Husillos etc)
12%
Both, equally
31%
Neither
1%

Total votes: 433

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Re: Board vs Pellegrini [POLL]

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Jarvo wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:00 pm When do you think this happened?
I don;'t know mate but Pezza said a while back something along the lines "no wonder Pellers wants out". I don't know what led to him wanting out but Pezza has shown over the years that he is a genuine ITK.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

We're running this poll in conjunction with KUMB's twitter account. Here's how it's panning out there, at time of writing.

Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

The players should have been an option too.
As much as the Managers are always to blame and are sacked, the players not putting in a shift are more to blame.
I don't stop trying because I dislike my boss.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

With Twitter can anyone off the streets vote or is it a Kumb closed shop ?

Only asking as on Twitter The Board and The Board + Pellegrini are are almost neck and neck .

I'm guessing it's open to all and sundry ?
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

I voted Pellegrini,s team.
When he was announced as our new manager with a 100 Million budget to bring in players i was very optimistic.
Unfortunately his inability to play a system that the players are comfortable with has shocked me .
2 wingers with a slow, lone striker combined with a slow midfield trying to link up looked suicidal 7 games back.
He has mixed it up last 2 games but confidence has been shot to pieces due to playing a system that cannot work with slow players.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by fester »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:06 pm We're running this poll in conjunction with KUMB's twitter account. Here's how it's panning out there, at time of writing.
Why is this so similar to the election forecast? Do people know what they are voting for?

I always vote Conservative, so the board are to blame by default, though Nigel Farage tells me we shouldn't bother qualifying for Europe anymore - we're better off sorting out our in-house problems first.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:23 pm With Twitter can anyone off the streets vote or is it a Kumb closed shop ?
Anyone can follow our twitter account, ToMoS. Anyone I haven't blocked that is (and that's a very select bunch).

Quite a few non-Hammers do so (mostly journos), few will be interested enough to vote IMO.

The way the poll is going in testament to that, I think.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:06 pm We're running this poll in conjunction with KUMB's twitter account. Here's how it's panning out there, at time of writing.
see, if UTJ stopped running this place like a tinpot dictatorship and allowed batch created accounts from dubious sources we'd have a much fairer result.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

The board, primarily, but that does not absolve Pellegrini of his glaring weaknesses and utter predictability.

Southampton will already know how they'll beat us.
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:01 pm I don;'t know mate but Pezza said a while back something along the lines "no wonder Pellers wants out". I don't know what led to him wanting out but Pezza has shown over the years that he is a genuine ITK.
I missed that one. Pezza is normally spot on :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Seeing as it's been reported that we're interested in Eddie Howe as our next Manager I thought I'd take a look at their transfer dealings for the past two seasons - Funnily enough it's very similar to ours , almost exactly the same - £118.40m

It's where they spent their money I find more interesting , especially their Full Backs and Defensive Midfield positions .

Billing - CM - £14.85m.........Fornals - £24m
Kelly - LB - £13.32m...........Cresswell - £3.75m
Stacey - RB - £4.01m...........Fredericks - £0
Lerma - DM - £25.20m......... Rice - £0
Rico - LB - £13.50m............Masuaku - £6.2m
Mepham - CB - £12.24m.......Balbuena - £4m
.....................................Diop - £22m

They bought forwards in Danjuna and Solanke , £16.20m and £ 19.08m respectively .

According to Transfermkt Bournemouth FC [ capacity 11,329 ] are valued at £308.03m
According to Transfermkt West Ham United [ capacity 60,000 ] are valued at £301.73m

Why are Bournemouth valued higher than West Ham , Mr Sullivan ??
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2367 likes

Post by Ozza »

As for what happened for Pellers after the start of the season, I would think he said that he needed reinforcements in January based on all the outgoings in the summer and was told no.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:58 pm

According to Transfermkt Bournemouth FC [ capacity 11,329 ] are valued at £308.03m
According to Transfermkt West Ham United [ capacity 60,000 ] are valued at £301.73m

Because that site never gets any valuation of any player or club remotely correct..
We operate at a far higher level than Bournemouth financially.
Forbes valuation 2019 worldwide.

Eddie Howe would be in a league totally different than what he has ever worked in before..
He would have far more clout here than Bournemouth.
He has never had 30/40 million to spend on one player. Ever!
Last edited by Pob! on Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:58 pm Seeing as it's been reported that we're interested in Eddie Howe as our next Manager I thought I'd take a look at their transfer dealings for the past two seasons - Funnily enough it's very similar to ours , almost exactly the same - £118.40m

It's where they spent their money I find more interesting , especially their Full Backs and Defensive Midfield positions .

Billing - CM - £14.85m.........Fornals - £24m
Kelly - LB - £13.32m...........Cresswell - £3.75m
Stacey - RB - £4.01m...........Fredericks - £0
Lerma - DM - £25.20m......... Rice - £0
Rico - LB - £13.50m............Masuaku - £6.2m
Mepham - CB - £12.24m.......Balbuena - £4m
.....................................Diop - £22m

They bought forwards in Danjuna and Solanke , £16.20m and £ 19.08m respectively .

I think you don't understand what that "value" means. It is the aggregate of transfermarkt's estimates of each player's value, not the value of the club as a whole (stadium situation, sponsorships, etc.), so why would capacity matter vs spending? we spend a similar amount on players, and therefore have a similar value of players.

Though generally capacity matters very little anyway, the TV rights money is so much more than the gate receipts that a big stadium has no significant advantage anymore. If you look at the valuations of what a club would be projected to sell for, West Ham is considerably higher than Bournemouth.

The positional spending is interesting, but.... most of those players have been failures, it's one of the reasons that we're basically the same team 100 miles apart this season, we have managers who are incredibly similar in approach and tactics, we're scoring at exactly the same rate, conceding at a similar rate.... honestly the only category where the two teams have performed significantly differently is tackles. Bournemouth doesn't tackle anyone.
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

Voted neither as I always think the 11 players that cross the white line should put a shift in, they are the ones that can have an effect on the result.
In recent games at Chelsea they battled and stuck to a game plan. They did the same against Arsenal with a very well worked out game plan but for whatever reason abandoned it and it went t**ts up!

1000's of K per week out of my club and can't be bothered is just not good enough. True warriors are only ever found when you're up against it.

I also blame Daniel Levy! He never wanted the stadium, it was only so Harringey gave him a better deal. How different it could've been had we bought it.

Last mention to the idiot architects who designed the stadium. What did the ever think it could be used for after. The Ethiad Stadium is how it should've been done
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

It appears even Bielsa had the Dildo Bros. cards marked back in 2015.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6514263-mar ... d-sullivan
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

The problem I find with saying its 'all' the board fault as to our our poor current form is that, conversely, when we have a good spell (and there have been some) they should be praised and congratulated as the main reason for that.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:46 pm The problem I find with saying its 'all' the board fault as to our our poor current form is that, conversely, when we have a good spell (and there have been some) they should be praised and congratulated as the main reason for that.
I don't think most are saying it's "all" the fault of the board. Certainly I'm just saying mostly...
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

steveherts66 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:00 pm Voted neither as I always think the 11 players that cross the white line should put a shift in, they are the ones that can have an effect on the result.
In recent games at Chelsea they battled and stuck to a game plan. They did the same against Arsenal with a very well worked out game plan but for whatever reason abandoned it and it went t**ts up!

1000's of K per week out of my club and can't be bothered is just not good enough. True warriors are only ever found when you're up against it.

I also blame Daniel Levy! He never wanted the stadium, it was only so Harringey gave him a better deal. How different it could've been had we bought it.

Last mention to the idiot architects who designed the stadium. What did the ever think it could be used for after. The Ethiad Stadium is how it should've been done

Surely that then makes the owners even bigger idiots for moving us there in the first place. Your whole post is just bizarre.

It's the job of the manager and his team to make sure the players ALWAYS put 100% effort in and are performing to the best of their abilities. Pellegrini is clearly failing big time at even the basics.

The Levy part I assume was a joke?
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Sloop John B wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:16 pm Yes Pellegrini takes blame, but the squad is incredibly thin, just look at the match threads...game after game of non-performance and by and large every suggested Starting XI is the same for every one of us... There are simply no options available to make significant changes...
I think this is so true, Sloop. And has probably been for every manager under G&S.
Lack of options would get any manager down & demotivated.