Board vs Pellegrini [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Who do you hold chiefly responsible for WHUFC's current position in the EPL?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:34 pm

The board (Sullivan, Gold, Brady etc)
56%
The management team (Pellegrini, Cousillas, Husillos etc)
12%
Both, equally
31%
Neither
1%

Total votes: 433

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Re: Board vs Pellegrini [POLL]

Post by Samba »

Cellar-door wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:17 pm Though generally capacity matters very little anyway, the TV rights money is so much more than the gate receipts that a big stadium has no significant advantage anymore.
Which is one of the biggest reasons why the move was unwarranted & quite unwise. IF we had moved to a place that had a similar player/spectator experience but was just bigger, you could have understood it, a bit more. THIS move, simply made no sense, apart from financial sense for the owners. Which hasn't been passed on to the team. For Gold to reveal that the extra income had amounted to around an extra £11m per season, it was embarrassing. Strangely, Gold didn't seem the slightest bit embarrassed..
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Samba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:47 pmStrangely, Gold didn't seem the slightest bit embarrassed..
Yeah, but remember Samba...we're talking about an old fart who regularly pisses himself in public. :lol:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

If you're prepared to state our position in table is currently the boards fault, are you happy to concede the 15/16 season was also down to them?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Cellar-door wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:17 pm I think you don't understand what that "value" means.

Though generally capacity matters very little anyway, the TV rights money is so much more than the gate receipts that a big stadium has no significant advantage anymore. If you look at the valuations of what a club would be projected to sell for, West Ham is considerably higher than Bournemouth
You're right I don't . :D

My apologies . :thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:14 pm If you're prepared to state our position in table is currently the boards fault, are you happy to concede the 15/16 season was also down to them?
Haha.. no, that was a leap year.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Pellegrini is to blame as he is the manager of this club and is responsible for those who cross the white line.

The current situation was normal for West Ham United at UP and probably would not be questioned, certainty not at this extent.
The board are to blame for raising the expectations associated with West Ham London.

The board are also to blame as they oversee the manager and provide (or not) the tools required for the manager to do his job correctly.
e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 975 likes

Post by e17 »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:14 pm If you're prepared to state our position in table is currently the boards fault, are you happy to concede the 15/16 season was also down to them?
Yes.

And everything that has followed
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

absolutely, if they'd have spent money on a top striker and a defensive midfielder we'd have been top 4 that season.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1037 likes

Post by stu1 »

If the question was who is reasonable for us not challenging the top 6 I’d say the board, but to be where we are, the management team have had ample resource to be doing far better.

Peoples hatred of the board is given the management team a free ride, they’ve been atrocious.
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

Its a complex one really the stadium and the issues surrounding the ground can only be blamed on the owners.
But i hate to defend the two knob heads they have given us a decent manager who has a proven history but he just is not working out.
But since Gold and Sullivan have taken over at West Ham we have signed 45 forwards
We spent £25million net in the summer in 18/19 there net spend was £71million in 17/18 we made a profit off £11m and is 16/17 we spent £38 million net

so in 4 windows, they have actually spent £123million i dont think that is to bad, the problem is we are clearly not spending it wisely and are the owners having to much say, personally i think they both have to take some flack but i think Pellegrini and his backroom team have just spent poorly
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:52 pm Its a complex one really the stadium and the issues surrounding the ground can only be blamed on the owners.
But i hate to defend the two knob heads they have given us a decent manager who has a proven history but he just is not working out.
But since Gold and Sullivan have taken over at West Ham we have signed 45 forwards
We spent £25million net in the summer in 18/19 there net spend was £71million in 17/18 we made a profit off £11m and is 16/17 we spent £38 million net

so in 4 windows, they have actually spent £123million i dont think that is to bad, the problem is we are clearly not spending it wisely and are the owners having to much say, personally i think they both have to take some flack but i think Pellegrini and his backroom team have just spent poorly
Last season everyone was saying how good Anderson and Diop were - heck in the summer when Man Utd were mentioned it was no sale or £60m plus from everyone now he cannot even get in the team. How many has Anderson scored this calendar year?

First couple of weeks the view was Haller was exactly what we needed.

Yes elements of this might be training, tactics but we have also seen very good players basically give up. Some say blame the manager/board for this as they are demotivated etc, for me some still give 100% however limited they may be but others show zero professional pride. They are hanging the manager out to dry albeit his own tactical pigheadedness does not help.
Last edited by Gsbgsb on Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Conspiracy Theorists Unite. Through the grapevine.......Sullivan wants Pellegrini to fxxx up so he can pave the way for big Jack, I mean little Jack to take over. Can he do any worse, can anyone do any worse
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

keithwright1977 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:29 pm Conspiracy Theorists Unite. Through the grapevine.......Sullivan wants Pellegrini to fxxx up so he can pave the way for big Jack, I mean little Jack to take over. Can he do any worse, can anyone do any worse
Better get in his coaching courses then as he needs a UEFA Pro license

UEFA A can manage academy teams and women’s premier league teams
e17

Post by e17 »

stu1 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:47 pm If the question was who is reasonable for us not challenging the top 6 I’d say the board, but to be where we are, the management team have had ample resource to be doing far better.
This is the crux of it for me.

And why I voted for the manager, despite loathing our owners
anjado
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

There are several factors at play and I will put forth who i would personally blame for the current malaise.

Manuel Pellegrini - The manager has to take some share of the blame for our current predicament. He has made several mistakes this season and has clearly fallen out with some players. There have been quite a few baffling selection issues the most noteable being Zabaleta's selection against Newcastle, constantly substituting Felipe Anderson and quite a few more. For me his biggest issue has been in pre-season we played a certain system where we played all of our flair and attacking players we looked good going forward but a bit open in defence. After we lost to Everton we completely went away from this system to accomodate Snodgrass for his extra legs but it hasn't really worked after a brief improvement in performance we are back to how we were against Palace and Everton.

We look worse going forward and are no better at shielding the defence so I would like to see us go a bit more attacking since that is where the strength in the squad lies. We aren't going to outgrit the opposition so we should go back to trying to play a possession based game which is what we spent all pre season doing.

The players - Our players get an easy ride from us, in the past 9 years our players have blamed our poor performance on a lack of confidence 19 times. That is an absurd amount they should all be given the boy who cried wolf to read at training. Last season Michail Antonio a player who had to grind his way from Non-League football to Premier League football said that as players they struggle to lift themselves to play against the likes of Cardiff and Burnley. For me that is an utter disgrace we have a team of millionaires who can't be bothered to play hard in every game. If Antonio a player who came from the depths of football can't find the motivation to play hard every week then no one in our team is going to.

Our fans praise Robert Snodgrass because he tries hard and that is fair enough. But it is also the bare minimum required to be a professional sportsman instead of praising someone for doing the minimum required of him we should be criticizing the others for not doing enough. Our players are so mentally weak that if we suffer two bad results then our confidence is completely depleted and they can't recover it's frankly embarassing. We always have to hear about the mental well-being of footballers and how they have it tough at a time when they earn obscene money whether they earn it or not and when there are more people living in poverty across the country than ever before people needing the services of food banks and other services to frankly live yet we have to feel sorry for these millionaires who cant be bothered to kick a football for 90 minutes a week it frankly sickens me.

Declan Rice said after the Chelsea game it was typical West Ham, that is entirely the wrong attitude for the players to have. This is partly why we are so crap the supporters of the club can say it's typical West Ham but the players have to have it instilled in them that they must try and compete to win every week. Players pre the turn of the century may have been able to get away with not putting in the effort each week but they were paid far less money than what current players are no player can use this as an excuse anymore.

Our players basically treat the club like a holiday camp we aren't professional compared to other clubs it shows every year. Every season we look less fit than everyone else we usually get more injuries and that is because the players don't care and think that is the standard required at our club.

The owners - These are the biggest culprit as to why things are going bad, It isn't just there fault it's all the previous owners which preceded them too.

All of our lack of professionalism starts at the top and always has done we have basically been the worst run club in all of football for 100 years. Most of it was a lack of ambition we have no ambitions as a club we are happy to just exist until things look bad then we mysteriously find wads of cash, Phil Parkes, Ray Stewart, John Hartson, Paul Kitson, Lee Bowyer, Rufus Brevett, Demba Ba, Robbie Keane amongst others spring to mind. Contrast that with the two recent seasons when we were in and around the top four and the lack of spenditure and even more recently second season under Roeder, the boys of 86 added a 4th division centre half when the 87 team could have been stronger with the introduction of Paul Ince.

So Sullivan and Gold aren't alone in there lack of ambition someone on this website once posted the minutes of a board meeting from the 1920's or 30's where one of the men at the meeting said that we should try and stay in the second division rather than get promoted to keep costs and wages down because people will still turn up to watch anyway. This has basically the motto for all of West Ham's board since the club was founded.

The key difference is clearly the move to Stratford where we were promised the moon and we have a worse team than the team which proceeded Sullivan and Gold taking over the club. In the 5 seasons before Sullivan and Gold took over we had reached a cup final, and finished in the top half of the premier league three times. Since then we haven't reached a cup final mostly suffering embarassing defeats and have finished in the top half 3 times.

Since the Premier League reverted back to 38 games per season in the 1995/96 season here is our record

1995-2009 (Pre Sullivan & Gold)

Points per season - 49.5
Top half finishes - 8/12
Best Season - 57 points (98/99
Worst season - 41 points (06/07), 42 points 3 times (96/97,00/01, 02/03)

2010-2019 (Since saviours arrived)

Points per season - 44.6 (42.5 excluding the 15/16 season)
Top half finishes - 3/9
Best Season - 62 points (15/16)
Worst 3 seasons - 33 points (10/11), 35 points (09/10), 40 points (13/14)

So there you have it if you take away the last season at the Boleyn we are doing 1.5 points better per season than our worst season in the preceding 15 years in the top flight.

They have undermined every single manager who has worked for them.

Zola - Zola was undermined he hadn't had a good season but the brazen abuse of the manager in the press every single day. Don't you know Zola signed Benni McCarthy for 2.5 million pounds he could have had any striker he wanted but chose Benni McCarthy there were no financial restrictions on him at all. Zola get's a lot of grief about his signing of McCarthy to this day but he almost signed Edinson Cavani 6 months earlier but we couldn't raise the funds. So I think it's fair to say he was fairly unlucky in this reguard and unfairly maligned.

Grant - After bragging to the press about how they will finally run West Ham like a proper football club, they went out and appointed the manager who finished bottom of the Premier League the previous season. They backed the manager immensely that summer to the tune of about 3 million pounds. They have made a very poor choice as the manager, they are prepared to rectify that by appointing Martin O'Neill but given there unwillingness to keep there mouths shut it leaks to the press and O'Neill realising how comically unprofessional we are declines the offer so we are stuck with Grant but what do you know we mysteriously find a few million pounds for Gary O'Neil, Demba Ba and a couple of loans. We still end up relegated with 2 games to go at which point our owners decide to ban the manager from catching the team bus home until Scott Parker intervenes.

Allardyce - The first two seasons of Allardyce's reign pretty much went off without much incident. His third season though we needed more money for reinforcements our side was aging and slow and he didn't get it. We had to rely on signing Roger Johnson on a free transfer to sure up a defence which was mostly injured. The next season things improved drastically with the signings of Sakho, Song, Cresswell and Jenkinson. We were in the top 4 on boxing day where we could have made a legitimate push for the Champions League. Our owners didn't want it kept there money in their pocket and we plummeted down the table. Allardyce was gone at the end of the season.

Bilic - Has an amazing first season, it's our second highest finish in terms of points per game we only lose 4 out of 32 games in the middle of the season despite suffering a huge injury crisis robbing us of all of our attacking players for two months. We are robbed of a champions league place by the worst run of officiating we have ever recieved. Adding a quality striker in January would have made an enormous difference to our season it was the time to push the boat out and really go and get a top quality striker who could score 5-10 goals in the second half of the season. Instead we got Emmanuel Eminike on loan who was serviceable but made no impact.

We finish the season with a great final night at the Boleyn and two disappointing defeats. But everyone is still on a high we play amazing football throughout the season and in Dimitri Payet we have a genuine world class footballer moving into a new stadium and everything really looking up at least on the pitch the clubs perception etc.

One week after the season ends David Sullivan has a whine on a certain website that Slaven Bilic is getting all the credit and not him. After all he was the one who personally scouted "Some French Bloke" and he is the true hero behind our recent success as a club.

Our stadium move happens and it is the biggest cock up anyone has seen when moving stadiums they have literally lied about every detail. So the mood is negative within 2 months after the end of a fantastic season and when the club is at their highest ebb for years the best player at Euro 2016 plays for us. So they lied about the stadium maybe they will make up for that by bringing in Batshuayi I mean Jack Sullivan is wearing a shirt with his name on it it must be practically completed or Lacazette a top striker who they should have brought in January okay better late then never. We try and haggle with Marseille trying to get a slight saving on Batshuayi, Chelsea realizing they only have 487 players on their books are a bit light up front so just sign Batshuayi right away and that chance is gone.

Okay so we have lost Moses, Tomkins, Song, Emmenike, Zarate, O'Brien, Jenkinson, Jelevic from the squad that did so well last season. If we can bring in a couple of big names I think we need a central midfielder, striker and right-back and a replacement for Moses.

So we bring in Tore, Calleri, Nordtveit, Feghouli, Fletcher, Arbeloa, Zaza all on loan or free transfers because all managers dream of wanting first team players replaced by players who are free agents or on loan. We eventually bring Masuaku in because Cresswell was crippled in pre-season and Andre Ayew who was brought because we needed a big money signing despite the fact that he didn't fit in our team whatsoever and we took a punt on Edmilson Fernandes and Lanzini was signed permanently all in all we spent about two million pounds more on transfer fees than we did at the last season at the Boleyn.

We suffer a dreadful result at home to Astra Giugiu in the Europa League qualifier with our new "strikers" missing hatfuls of chances. We start the season off away to Chelsea we play Michail Antonio at right back which is something the manager is experimenting with because unfortunately Byram had either been injured or underwhelming in his appearances. Antonio makes a mistake which leads to a Chelsea goal there is an article later on the official club website which states that Michail Antonio will never play right-back again not from the manager but from David Sullivan.

So it took one league game in which we conceded a last minute goal to a team which will go on to win the league for the board to start severely undermining the manager.

We have an underwhelming season which the club mouthpieces blame on Bilic signings such as Tore who he himself said later he didn't want. Because all the other free signing worked out so well infact Masuaku is the only signing from that season still at the club which is frankly a disgrace. Bilic gets berated for signing Jose Fonte who whilst he wasn't a great signing wasn't that awful either especially considering some of the other utter crap signed in that summer. Bilic spends the season always 3 games away from the sack which isn't helpful in anyway.

We move onto Bilic's final season, A summer where he sees that we need a defensive midfield reinforcement so spends the summer targeting William Carvalho a player who would walk into our team today, It's a smart signing unfortunately the Sullivan's our director of football thought going on vacation with 3 days left of the transfer window was the right option. From there holiday abode they can tweet freely about what a horrible person our manager is and cry about us not signing Kelechi Iheanacho and laugh about the attempts to sign William Carvalho and send threatening poorly written e-mails to the chairman of Sporting Lisbon.

Sullivan got what he wanted and we didn't sign Carvalho even though if we signed him we would be doing much better with him and Rice patrolling midfield. Eventually the players stop playing for Bilic after one final hurrah against Spurs where we come from 2-0 down to win 3-2 unfortunately a result which was marred by the tragedy that clearly befell our heroic chairman right on the final whistle.

So eventually that doesn't save the current manager of the championship leading West Bromwich Albion as well as his assistents current manager of oil rich Azerbaijan Nikola Jurgovic and current Borussia Dortmund assistant manager Edin Terzic. They were all useless anyway we will never hear of them again they were all useless I read it on a website they were clearly the problem. It wasn't the constant leaking of information such as teamsheets hours before kick off or constant whining about the manager overlooking Toni Martinez.

Moyes comes in with some other backroom staff he does what is required of him he get's Arnautovic to actually bother about playing and we survive he does okay nothing spectacular or brilliant despite the relentless hype of certain people but he does the best he can which was good enough. 26 from 23 games until the last three games of the season in which we picked up 7 points.

We throw a cup quarter final instantly against Arsenal, Reece Oxford breaks into the Borussia Monchengladbach side in december and is immediately recalled to play one cup game and that is the end of his career with us.

Sullivan tries to crush fans discontent and it wounds up back firing initally, when many people hound him out of the seat and forced him to do something, objects were thrown at him according to Sullivan it was a coin but since all he thinks about and all he can see is money he isn't the most reliable witness.

Moyes is gone replaced by Pellegrini who Sullivan masterminded the signing of in January of the previous year, we appoint a director of football who the manager appointed which makes the whole system floored but small steps. We actually invest in the playing squad in a an adequete way and after a shaky start in which the knives were getting sharpened we managed to have a mostly decent season barring the Cup exit and our players lack of desire in certain games. Declan Rice

In January last season Pellegrini was looking to sign Gary Medel arguably one of the toughest tackling midfielders in world football. We couldn't afford any transfers apart from an over the hill free agent so we signed him.

Come the following year we sell Pedro Obiang and Edmilson Fernandes on the promise that all players leaving the club will be replaced. But certain websites knew we could only spend 30 million pounds in net spend due to financial fairplay the system that is put in place solely to punish West Ham apparently. So we start the season with a misbalanced squad and a midfield which consists of a journeyman winger and an aging club stalwart, neither of whom should be playing every single week but here we are.

Pellegrini has one more game to save his job and the cycle repeats. He was severely undermined by the usual suspects 3 weeks ago when they said if he had any pride he would walk away from the 8 million pounds he earns per year after being obviously lied to about the transfer budget he had in the summer. Also Pablo Fornals is the worst signing ever fair enough Roberto is terrible but Pablo Fornals is so terrible I can't remember the last time West Ham spent so much on a player who performed worse after 10 games who turned it around with a positional change and became our best player before moving to China I genuinely can't think of anyone.

Fornals has to be close to being one of our worst 15 signings since leaving the Boleyn four years ago and bottom 50 in the Sullivan era surely. Husillos deserves constant ridicule over signing one of the brightest young players in world football what an idiot.

Our next choice of manager is likely to be either Chris Hughton who is a nice bloke but would have gotten Brighton relegated if Neil Warnock tried to beat Fulham with 3 games to go instead of inexplicably sticking everyone behind the ball and not having a single attack until they were 1-0 down when they managed to hit the woodwork about 3 times in about 10 minutes.

David Moyes who was already here and is a depressing appointment.

I can't see us paying compensation for anyone so the manager has to be unemployed. There are several interesting options who could be our next manager but we will go for the boring sould crushing depressing options. It's why the owners are mostly to blame the fun and soul and really the hope has been drained out of so many people. We have been in far worse positions but with the current ownership we know that any significent improvement will just be a false dawn because our owners make it so. This is why we have never been a good or competent team for any period of time, we have always had terrible owners with no ambition to improve the club everything is half-arsed and lazy and it's just becoming more and more tiring and difficult to see what the point is of following a club which is always so incompetent and embarrassingly run.
e17

Post by e17 »

tl;dnr

I don’t think Fornals has been that bad the last couple of games to be honest
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 662 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I am crying foul on this. There are some differences and some similarities. Not every behaviour effects individuals in the same way. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

An example being they lucked out majorly on Bilic knowing he wanted Payet and Lanzini. They also lucked out on the side Allardyce left being enough to support a small investment. Then once they had courted Bilic season 1, usual service resumed. Sold Payet for a pittance. Failed to invest in season two and it all fell apart.

Undermining the Goalkeeper's was a genius boardroom move.

Went big on Pellegrini and Anderson was meant to be his Payet. Only difference £35 million.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Anjando - :thup: :thup:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

No, that was Payet's fault.
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

Both. The Board for undermining Pelle & Pelle for sticking with Roberto too long, playing Zab instead of Fredericks amongst other strange choices decisions.