Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Ozza »

The problem as i see it is Anderson, I love him when he's on form, however he was much more affective with Arnie stretching the game than Haller who doesn't, and Fornals is better as he works harder and is more disciplined.

Just don't think Anderson works in a world we need, as Haller (for me) is more important
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Boooogers! wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:54 pm He showed some fight today and his reaction at the final whistle meant a lot. Well played pellers👍🏽
you do realise that human behaviour, human interaction, what makes people tick and do things is fairly deep right, and unless you are close to it every day, simply having a strong opinion about someones character is...........well simple really?

You or I have no idea what motivation, action, behaviour, challenge, dedication interactions are going on in that group, or more importantly if he has "lost" the dressing room, which I think is a media spun bull**** statement.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Southampton are rubbish.

Beating bottom 3/4 teams doesn't mean we're living up to top 7 levels of income.

It applies to players, manager and owners.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:29 pm Southampton are rubbish.

Beating bottom 3/4 teams doesn't mean we're living up to top 7 levels of income.

It applies to players, manager and owners.
Spot on, so it goes back to our **** **** owners lack of investment and shocking management of this great club?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Cellar-door wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:24 pm I think these are related. Pelle has been reluctant to go 2 up top because our midfield in a 4-4-2 is not great, and maybe more importantly, it requires an incredible amount of work from those players. Today he felt he could try it likely for 2 reasons:
1. Southampton are rubbish
2. We have a long period of rest coming up.

Now the subs ties in because..... we have no real subs for those players. He knew that Snodgrass was exhausted, Noble wasn't going to make 90 minutes either, and Fornals and Rice both started tiring as well.

He tried to be more attacking with the first sub, hoping to snag a second, bringing on Yarmolenko to play essentially the same role as Snodgrass, but perhaps a bit more forward thinking.

It wasn't working, he started seeing gaps in midfield open as Yarmo wasn't as active as Snodgrass, and Noble/Rice/Fornals tired. Now he looks at his bench and sees... a striker, 2 FBs, a DM and a CB.

The DM is what is needed, but he doesn't want a like for like (for Noble), because he needs an extra body in MF since he can't sub all 3 remaining MFs and Fornals and Rice are covering ground less efficiently as they tire. So he decides it's time to pull Haller, fall back a bit more and try to counter through Antonio and Yarmo.

The 3rd sub is a recognition that it's time to just hold on, and that Noble had run his race.

Now, if his bench had contained another CM (or even Anderson) I think the subs probably run differently. The 1st or 2nd Sub is a CM, and Sanchez is the 3rd (or Anderson is the 1st sub)
It’s very simple tho. Our weak midfield is better being bypassed by playing through the two up top. Moving the ball quicker puts them under pressure and relieves pressure on ourselves.

Doesn’t take a fortune to work that out!
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:38 pm It’s very simple tho. Our weak midfield is better being bypassed by playing through the two up top. Moving the ball quicker puts them under pressure and relieves pressure on ourselves.

We desperately need a decent DM player in the window. A loan deal will do me worse way.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Stuttering but an upturn in fortune since Antonio returned. With Fab back we’d be midtable, which is par.

We’ve had a ridiculous month with some ridiculous names put forward - Sam, Moyes, Houghton and even Rewanker. Time for everyone to accept MP is here until summer come what may and put all this distracting **** to bed. Might even help results.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:38 pm It’s very simple tho. Our weak midfield is better being bypassed by playing through the two up top. Moving the ball quicker puts them under pressure and relieves pressure on ourselves.

Only against bad teams, the problem against good teams is that they keep possession and just wear us down to nothing.

You can't usually truly bypass your midfield consistently, you can ask them to play quickly upfield to the wide players and strike pairing, but even today, I'd guess Rice and Noble were towards the top of the touches chart. Two up top certainly minimizes some of our weaknesses in attack, but it does the opposite in defense.

In defense, we put a lot of pressure on the midfield with this formation, we can do that easily against Southampton because they are terrible. If we do that against better sides.... we'll see, but my guess based on how we've played even with an extra body in midfield is that they shred us. Playing 2 up top means that when the opponent counters often they have a numerical advantage as the 2 forwards get caught behind the play, that increases pressure on the midfield to slow them down and let the 2nd forward get back into the play. Today that wasn't terrible, because SH aren't good, I'd expect that better sides (like say Wolves) would charge right through our tissue midfield.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

We played ok today against a poor Southampton side nothing more nothing less, fortunately Antonio was excellent and made the difference.

I’m glad for Pellegrini but he has a long way to go, we are 15th almost half way through the season and that’s is very poor which ever way you look at it.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:51 pm Stuttering but an upturn in fortune since Antonio returned. With Fab back we’d be midtable, which is par.

We’ve had a ridiculous month with some ridiculous names put forward - Sam, Moyes, Houghton and even Rewanker. Time for everyone to accept MP is here until summer come what may and put all this distracting **** to bed. Might even help results.
Based on a narrow 1-0 win over Southampton? Very early to be making such proclamations!

One thing I would say is the team is noticeably weaker this year than last, which is very poor performance from the management and the board.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Cellar-door wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:58 pm Only against bad teams, the problem against good teams is that they keep possession and just wear us down to nothing.

You can't usually truly bypass your midfield consistently, you can ask them to play quickly upfield to the wide players and strike pairing, but even today, I'd guess Rice and Noble were towards the top of the touches chart. Two up top certainly minimizes some of our weaknesses in attack, but it does the opposite in defense.

In defense, we put a lot of pressure on the midfield with this formation, we can do that easily against Southampton because they are terrible. If we do that against better sides.... we'll see, but my guess based on how we've played even with an extra body in midfield is that they shred us. Playing 2 up top means that when the opponent counters often they have a numerical advantage as the 2 forwards get caught behind the play, that increases pressure on the midfield to slow them down and let the 2nd forward get back into the play. Today that wasn't terrible, because SH aren't good, I'd expect that better sides (like say Wolves) would charge right through our tissue midfield.
True to an extent. But I would argue that based on the way play has developed in the Premier League, many teams are afraid of this direct approach, such had the emphasis been on playing from the back and on the deck.

Also, the centre half’s in the league are as weak as I can remember, so putting them under pressure is a good strategy.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Hopefully there's some proper identification going on of a few players to beef us up in CM and up front as Haller needs a partner to thrive and Antonio does pick up knocks due to his build and style of play.

Another CM is a must, Sanchez played a hospital ball and nearly dropped us in it, didn't get a clearance right and got pelters off a few players and he can't be relied on to shore a game up.

The full backs will have to wait till summer.

I wouldn't mind betting that Anderson and possibly Yarmalenko will be touted around to bring in funds....
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

smuts wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:23 pm .............

I wouldn't mind betting that Anderson and possibly Yarmalenko will be touted around to bring in funds....
I have the feeling Anderson is a Pellegrini favourite, so much so that if he had been available today he'd have played at the expense of Haller or maybe Antonio.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:26 pm I have the feeling Anderson is a Pellegrini favourite, so much so that if he had been available today he'd have played at the expense of Haller or maybe Antonio.
One of those we will never know. We certainly didn't miss him doing his usual run into the last third then passing it backwards party piece.

Lanzini and Fornals can do a similar job if it meant we could get at least 30m back for Anderson as his value hasn't increased. Ideally we'll keep him but if there really is no money....

Of bigger concern is how bad Yarmalenko has been. Had that decent purple patch of 2 or 3 games but has been woeful ever since especially coming on as sub Monday and tonight.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:15 pm Based on a narrow 1-0 win over Southampton? Very early to be making such proclamations!
My only ‘proclamation’ is to say that MP is here til summer. Unless someone’s got £15m or so and a better person lined up, which they haven’t.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Star on Sunday 'exclusive' says he's still out the door, with five lined up 'as a possible replacement'.
Carlo Ancelotti, Roberto Martinez, Chris Hughton, Eddie Howe - and now Moyes - are all believed to in contention.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

I reckon these journos are on drugs trying to outdo each other.

Ancelotti? With what Delilah, Delilah with what?

Martinez?? ‘King hell, I’m surprised they haven’t started exhuming Shankly.

I wish they’d write about something else.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Keeping Michail Antonio fit is paramount to Pellegrini keeping his job - that and the return of Fabianski .

The confidence a good Goalkeeper gives his Defence is so important to how well the team plays and with Antonio back full of running I think we'll see a much improved Felipe Anderson - a point or 3 against Crystal Palace will keep the momentum going nicely .

Put the money towards a new player not towards sacking Pellegrini and his Team [ Doucoure had a good game today :) ] .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:13 am I reckon these journos are on drugs trying to outdo each other.

Ancelotti? With what Delilah, Delilah with what?

Martinez?? ‘King hell, I’m surprised they haven’t started exhuming Shankly.

I wish they’d write about something else.
They almost will Football Clubs to sack their Managers so that they can fill their back pages - the Sky Commentators aren't much better .
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

The criticism of pellers has been he's too stubborn won't change formation etc (all valid) so today he does, we win AND play well and he's gonna be sacked? I don't suppose I should be surprised if it happens but it doesn't make much sense