David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2379 likes

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by Morocco Mole »

chalks wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 pm I for one am glad we actually have a manager that wants to be here
People really need to marinade on this bit. :thup:

I never liked the geezer and expected the miserable, Jock big-head routine last time round but almost incongruously, he turned up smiling, respectful and grateful for the opportunity instead. He assembled an impressive coaching team and fulfilled his remit in keeping us up with a **** squad in challenging circumstances. Even if you hated the football it would be hard to argue that he at least instilled a bit of professionalism and integrity round the place - two things we ain't exactly renowned for. Then he got dicked over by the usual suspects as we know.

Point is; by all means criticise the football but lets not be c**** about it. He's never done anything wrong to the club or the fans. Let's give him the respect he seems to want to give us. :thup:
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Last edited by DDHammer on Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Good post Mole. He came across OK and showed the fans and club a lot more respect than the faux fans in the boardroom. I don't think he was the right appointment but that's not his fault.
Graza

Post by Graza »

thejackhammer wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:10 pm What would Moyes have to achieve, and how would he have to achieve it, to change opinions if him?

In 18 months time, for the majority to want an extension, what would Moyes' reign have looked like?
I've been thinking about this. What could change my opinion that this is a backwards step...

The biggest thing he could do is come out week one of Jan and publicly state what he thinks we need and if the board doesn't plump up the cash to fix the squad they broke then be walks away at the end of Jan. It would raise my view of him by a significant degree. It's more likely that I'll win the lottery without buying a ticket though (the demand perhaps less so than the walking away and that a universe away from money actually being stumped up).

Assuming the above will never happen (it won't) this year he would need to fix the defence (I expect he will), get a bit of fight back in the club (he might but it's a longer harder road for some), try in the FA cup (no chance of this happening), overhaul the 8 points between us and top half finishing (possible but not likely). Next year he'd need to address our obvious squad issues (full backs, midfield strength and speed and general depth) in the summer which means finding a way into Sullivan's pockets (possible he will want to be seen as "trying", but with him at the helm of the transfers expect us to "just miss out" on our top target(s) on deadline day leaving spending well with our usual pittance), having us playing a solid brand of football, increased goal rate, decreased conceeded rate, competitive in every (almost) game, a go in both cups and publicly and constantly pushing at the board about the training ground/youth setup etc. All of which is predicated on the opening of the wallet, so none of which I believe he can achieve.

I said in the who next thread, it doesn't matter while these owners are in place and it's true. I'd rather a have a go maverick who will go down in glorious flames than the dour 7 defenders on the pitch and still contrive to ****ing lose shitshow we are in for now.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:27 pm 9 wins in 31 games last time he was here, and football as dour as anything Allardyce served up- and Moyes is the man to take the club forward?
What a joke of a club we’ve become under GSB!
What have you been watching over the last few months, it’s been desperately poor the kind of stuff you watch through the gaps between your fingers when there over your face. Come to think of it over the last 10 years we’ve only had 2-3 decent seasons with the kind of football you look forward to.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Cellar-door wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:21 pm Moyes is the perfect owner for this board honestly.

1. Unemployed
2. Cheap
3. Desperate enough for work that he won't complain
4. Just good enough to keep you up
5. Won't complain if not allowed to spend
6. No ambition
7. Sully has a couple of those DM branded tracksuits left over from last time he can recycle. :thup:
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Kialos wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:58 am Good post Mole. He came across OK and showed the fans and club a lot more respect than the faux fans in the boardroom. I don't think he was the right appointment but that's not his fault.
I'll remember him for the last game of the season against Everton and a fitting send off for Ginge.

Unfortunately i also remember him playing 5 at the back and throwing away the League Cup QF against Arsenal with 0 shots on target.
GingerJohn

Post by GingerJohn »

Christ we are a joke club aren't we. It scares me how much I couldn't give s s&*& about our results anymore.
Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

Supporting West Ham for me is all about enjoying the underdog moments. I never for one moment believed in champions league. David Moyes is the underdog like so many hammers of the past. Good luck to you Mr Moyes :crest:
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I'm a bit suprised at the strength of feeling against him but I can understand where people are coming from reading the posts. Actually some good posts on both points of view.

I sometimes, wrongly, assume we have the same opinions as we are all hammers fans. Of course we are all different but are united only in that this is our team.

So I am hoping that whatever age, sex, religion or whether you've only been to an odd game or you are a season ticket holder from the 70s we give the new guy a chance to have a game or two before getting on his back.

We are not (yet) bottom of the league and have a reasonable amount of points on the board. However Moyes achieved it I will be pleased if he keeps us up and sorts out our defence. That might then allow some of our flair players to start to do the stuff we know they should be able to. Our goal against Leicester was something we should have been seeing lots more of but it's definitely possible.

I'm as frustrated with the owners as much as the next man. I understand the investment is often via interest payable loans (people with better financial nous have posted some stuff regarding finances on the forum) plus the new stadium is also divisive. If things don't work out the owners should be told in no uncertain times it isn't good enough.

But for now, David Moyes is West Hams manager and he will have my full support for the time being, and that means even if we do lose at home to Bournemouth . Let's hope the next decade brings about a change of fortune. All West Ham fans deserve that.
Graza

Post by Graza »

keithwright1977 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:05 am What have you been watching over the last few months, it’s been desperately poor the kind of stuff you watch through the gaps between your fingers when there over your face. Come to think of it over the last 10 years we’ve only had 2-3 decent seasons with the kind of football you look forward to.
Results wise, pretty much a rerun of Moyes' last managerial stint, now where was that...
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

GingerJohn wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:10 am Christ we are a joke club aren't we. It scares me how much I couldn't give s s&*& about our results anymore.
100%
Mikloskosglovebag

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:37 pm If they give him some money to spend in January to buy one or two players I think we'll see a turnaround in our fortunes , I really do , get a few players' heads right , introduce a bit more energy into the play and we'll be ok .

Good Luck , Moyesie !! :thup:
100%
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

Welcome to West Ham (again) David.

I’d like to thank you for keeping us up last time under trying circumstances and wish you luck for your effort this time. I also hope the owners gave you money to spend on players this window as we have an unbalanced squad that needs addressing. Other than that, I know you will instil fitness and discipline into the side, which is also something we need.

From your work last time, you deserved a shot at a longer term deal that they didn’t give you. I hope you get it this time.

Good luck.
Mikloskosglovebag

Ding wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:41 am Welcome to West Ham (again) David.

I’d like to thank you for keeping us up last time under trying circumstances and wish you luck for your effort this time. I also hope the owners gave you money to spend on players this window as we have an unbalanced squad that needs addressing. Other than that, I know you will instil fitness and discipline into the side, which is also something we need.

From your work last time, you deserved a shot at a longer term deal that they didn’t give you. I hope you get it this time.

Good luck.
Exactly
SEAHammer

Post by SEAHammer »

Not sure why all the hatred - he was employed last time to do a job ergo keep us up - that he did. The board gave him no support and no long term contract that's not his fault. Now he's been employed again to keep us up let's hope he has the same result.

We've played 19 games and won just 5 - if Moyes wins 6/7 of the next 21 that will probably be enough, to expect anything more with this squad is seriously delusional, we simply aren't that good.

Long term who knows - last time he was on a six month contract and they wouldn't offer him a longer deal, this time 18 months which is the board giving themselves a cheap escape clause, will Moyes be that committed with such a short contract? well maybe he will see it as an incentive, keep us up and get a two year extension ... 99.9% sure if we go down there will be a break clause.

Moyes will do a job, won't be pretty but with this squad that's never happening, our future in the LS with piss poor owners and queen bitch, not much Moyes or anyone else can do to fix that ... relegation might be the only answer if we want real change, don't think it will happen under Moyes and my real fear is that sadly we can just expect more of the same until eventually it does.

Moyes with full support is a decent manager ... but you have to seriously doubt he will receive that with us.
Last edited by SEAHammer on Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
crazyknight

Post by crazyknight »

Graza wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:24 am Results wise, pretty much a rerun of Moyes' last managerial stint, now where was that...
False equivalencies though. Moyes' 33 in 27 came in one season, with no pre-season, having not signed a player and having to deal with three out of four star signings that weren't performing, not being allowed to sign anybody, having the board underbid for decent targets and ending up with Hugill as a panic buy because somebody at Preston told Moyes he was a nice, hard-working lad.

Pellegrini's 32 in 27 came across two seasons, both of which came with a full-preseason, spending over 100m on players (some of which signed by his hand-picked chief scout), not improving obvious key positions that needed improving, not building on what he was handed, forcing the chairman to sign his number one target at any cost as his equivalent of Van Halen's bowl of M&Ms with no brown ones in it, leaving no money to sign a central midfielder two seasons despite selling one each summer.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Pellegrini has actually done anything wrong. Pellegrini was Pellegrini, the guy who has been playing classical South American, tippy-tappy, back-to-front, playmaker/goalscorer-driven football as manager for 30 years. A guy who is a cog in a machine, who needs the vision to come from other people. He did what he's always done, which is why he was great at Villareal with Riquelme and got a tune out of Malaga with Santi Cazorla and had that first brilliant season with David Silva at Man City. We don't have those players and we don't have the technical staff at board level who can bring the vision. By appointing him, David Sullivan was trying to both hide from reality and appeal to the star-f***** community of West Ham fans who only watch West Ham and want big names. He can placate them with a Pellegrini because they have no idea of nuance either.

And we need to be honest. West Ham in the summer of 2018 were in crisis. It needed to be a five-window fix; plug up the obvious holes in the team, find obvious replacements for older members of the squad, then find players who can kick the club up a notch. That was going to take 2 1/2 to 3 years with a manager of vision who actually knows how to do that sort of thing but completely impossible with somebody like Pellegrini.
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

Like many I guess, I'm caught between Ginger john and Ding's opinions.

What amazes me is the abject lack of ambition shown by the appointment. It all smacks of snuff management.

I know I am not as passionate as some on here but you will your team to do well, I have no delusional expectations but do expect us to be solid and pushing good cup runs and top 7 finishes.

Whilst the rollercoaster relegation battles seem to happen too frequently, I see no real plan from the owners and that is as worrying as it is stupefying.

Can only hope Moyles will instill performances his previous career has found impossible. :eh:
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

FWIW...I'm at home at the mo and the Philippine English news channel called the appointment ….surprising ….from a nation that thinks Basketball is the best team game in the world...……. :oops:
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

e17 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:24 pm
Please God someone make this an avatar. Is that possible? :lol: