The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

artlin

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by artlin »

Agreed, E17.

I spotted that last year when all the Dendonker rumours were going about.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Must say I completely disagree about Diop. It looks good as a defender stepping out, but I’m not sure his passing is good.

On top of that, I can think of occasions where he has stepped out to defend and done it awfully. Moreover, it’s not good for his development, he wants to be and is a centre back. Doubt you keep an emerging player happy by throwing him into a midfield role.

Be better playing a back three or actually buying a bloody midfielder. Think it’s completely misunderstanding the nuances of the role to suggest he’d be good at it. He’s no more likely to be good at it than Ogbonna or Balbuena
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

We need someone with a presence next to Rice. We lose a lot of aerial duels in the defence and midfield areas. We’re also bullied, outrun and outfought in the middle in most games. Sander Berge is big, strong, quick and can get around the pitch - he would be the one I’d choose to solidify the spine of the team.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Ah yes, January 1st, my time to shine. I must get out my half-filled PL sticker album from 5 years ago to see who I can bring in dirt cheap to fill positions that don’t need to be filled.......

said no progressive owner or manager ever!

Giroud, Balotelli, Joe Allen, .......??

Christ it really is like Groundhog Day here.
denzel

Post by denzel »

hammerman11 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:41 am giroud is 34
Again? Seriously? :lol:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:08 am Doubt you keep an emerging player happy by throwing him into a midfield role.
Didn’t hurt Rice mate
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

Heres the problem.
When a club that has owners who care, they turn to the manager and say " you have 50 million to spend in Jan." Get a box to box mid player and a back up keeper!! The choices are quite interesting.
Our owners are " ( reportedly ) handing over " 24 Million" for them mentioned players. The options drop significantly and as we know prices go up in Jan for teams looking to get away from relegation.
This was also the case with Hugil who i might say is better than Ajeti. The owners obviously didnt want to give him much to find that player so his options were very limited.
If Giroud and Allen are mentioned its because we are not getting the funds for better players. Not Moyes first choices given an open cheque for sure!!!
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

We need the Dave Mackay that played for Derby County :crest:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

...and you can be sure it will Darren Randolph returning as GK cover. Never mind he's not as good as Ethridge, he's free and that's what matters
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Depressed Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:30 pm Heres the problem.
When a club that has owners who care, they turn to the manager and say " you have 50 million to spend in Jan." Get a box to box mid player and a back up keeper!! The choices are quite interesting.
Our owners are " ( reportedly ) handing over " 24 Million" for them mentioned players. The options drop significantly and as we know prices go up in Jan for teams looking to get away from relegation.
This was also the case with Hugil who i might say is better than Ajeti. The owners obviously didnt want to give him much to find that player so his options were very limited.
If Giroud and Allen are mentioned its because we are not getting the funds for better players. Not Moyes first choices given an open cheque for sure!!!
I really don't see a pressing need for a back-up keeper, martin has proved he's up to that job, leave it till summer. Midfielder and perhaps back-up striker (although I'd like to see ajeti given a proper chance)
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

seattlehammer1 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:54 am I believe Fredericks is the worse offender in this regard. Watch him. Everything he does he dithers upon. Crosses. Throw ins. You can see the players around him saying FFS when he takes his time with a throw in. He has bags of pace, but that’s an attribute all lost because his brain can’t keep up with his legs.
^^^^^^ this.......he always looks grateful just to have been picked
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by Rozzop »

We need investment in both full back areas and central midfield desperately.

In fact, how much money have we spent there in the last 10 years?

We could have Pellegrini, Moyes, Shankly as manager. Wont matter. The squad isnt good enough.

Yet we will probably sign a striker and winger and continue with Fredericks, Cresswell, Masuaku, Noble for another 5 years.

I mean seriously Masuaku? I nearly laughed as I typed his name. Would he get in Watfords team? Norwich? Villa? Likewise Noble. Likewise Balbuena.

Until this is sorted out Im not even really that bothered about West Ham. Deserve to be where we are. Dont we have scouts? Why arent we run like other clubs?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Masuaku would start in Villa's team today as a wing back over Neil Taylor, he probably starts over Burnley's Taylor as well.

He'd certainly start over Kiko in the Watford defence.

We are so overtly harsh on our own players. Balbuena likewise, last season he was arguably our best defender and a bargain, this season the claim is he wouldn't start over Craig Cathcart or Grant Hanley.

It's just nonsense.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I think we will finally get that elusive midfielder that has been desperatley needed for so long, he will be perfect, but the only way he will come here, is if he has a relegation release clause..

We will of course go down, and have to watch him sail off into the North London sunset..
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

e17 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:20 pm Didn’t hurt Rice mate
A fair comparison, but I don’t remember it being a surprise or something sudden, we knew it was something he’d been coached about.

And I think there’s probably a different context. Lad in the academy, youth team, had rejection before, Londoner. And a guy brought in for a decent fee as a centre back, linked with big money moves as a centre back after being a club captain in France as a centre back.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Rozzop wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:41 pm We need investment in both full back areas and central midfield desperately.

In fact, how much money have we spent there in the last 10 years?

We could have Pellegrini, Moyes, Shankly as manager. Wont matter. The squad isnt good enough.

Yet we will probably sign a striker and winger and continue with Fredericks, Cresswell, Masuaku, Noble for another 5 years.

I mean seriously Masuaku? I nearly laughed as I typed his name. Would he get in Watfords team? Norwich? Villa? Likewise Noble. Likewise Balbuena.

Until this is sorted out Im not even really that bothered about West Ham. Deserve to be where we are. Dont we have scouts? Why arent we run like other clubs?

Millwall's left back. Dont know who he is, but he looks good
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

thejackhammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:14 pm Masuaku would start in Villa's team today as a wing back over Neil Taylor, he probably starts over Burnley's Taylor as well.

He'd certainly start over Kiko in the Watford defence.

We are so overtly harsh on our own players. Balbuena likewise, last season he was arguably our best defender and a bargain, this season the claim is he wouldn't start over Craig Cathcart or Grant Hanley.

It's just nonsense.
Masuaku can,t defend. Can you imagine Dyce watching him play ? Wouldst last 2 games
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Depressed Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:05 pm Masuaku can,t defend. Can you imagine Dyce watching him play ? Wouldst last 2 games
No one can defend the way we play, but he still makes more tackles than most and can carry the ball forward well.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’d throw a load of money at Chelsea for Loftus-Cheek
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Georgee Paris wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:24 pm I’d throw a load of money at Chelsea for Loftus-Cheek
Monopoly?