West Ham Utd 4-0 Bournemouth (01/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Bournemouth: Match thread (01/01)

Post by S-H »

MrHammer73 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:24 pm Apparently 2005 under Pardew v Villa.

That's pretty shocking!
Blimey!
traxop

Post by traxop »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:42 pm 14 attempts on goal, 7 on target. When was the last time we managed that? Under the other bloke, we were managing about 2 a game, if we were lucky. Useless prick he was
Surprisingly quite a few times earlier in the season. Most of the earlier games saw us having our shots generally on target. The volume of attempts being a little lower, but we only really shoot when it was a clear cut opportunity. We perhaps tried a little too hard to walk in every goal, but then we had a semblance of control in those early games.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

A cracking result today with some fine performances but lets not get carried away here, Bmouth were absolutely shocking for ninety minutes, how they have acquired 20 points so far this season is beyond me....
Last edited by Rasp on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:21 pm No, we need to be balanced. GSB need to go 4-0 or 0-4 that doesn’t change. Does the bowl still stand? Then GSB need to go. One result doesn't change that.
Give it a rest.

It's not the Boleyn.

But anywhere else in Europe, normal football fans would recognise the excellent stadium we have.

Do I miss the tradition? Of course! Do I think we have a better stadium now? Duh.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

very good performance versus a woeful Bournemouth XI, with imo Ogbonna the pick of the bunch , onwards to sunday evening now., with renewed confidence. like to see Moyes play the same XI vs the gills
S-H

Post by S-H »

Smonnie wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:41 pm Give it a rest.

It's not the Boleyn.

But anywhere else in Europe, normal football fans would recognise the excellent stadium we have.

Do I miss the tradition? Of course! Do I think we have a better stadium now? Duh.
You're on a roll tonight..

:thdn:
brothernero
Has liked: 741 likes
Total likes: 752 likes

Post by brothernero »

Better Stadium?

Is that why every away fan has panned it and not just the home fans then
denzel

Post by denzel »

Smonnie wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:41 pm But anywhere else in Europe, normal football fans would recognise the excellent stadium we have.

Huh. Explains recent comments.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

S-H wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:47 pm You're on a roll tonight..

You missed at a "T" there S-H. :wink:
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Bruv

:thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3014 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

To damn our players with faint praise due to Bournemouth being terrible would, I think, be unfair.

I thought our application was a zillion times better than for a very long time, nobody had a poor game, 3 or 4 had excellent games.

Much , much better in transition, got the ball forward vastly quicker, movement was better, and most of all we showed some desire.

Well worth our 4 goal margin, and while sterner tests are imminent, the new manager deserves credit for lighting a few fires.

Well played .
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

Admittedly it’s difficult to judge the impact of the new manager after 1 game against a particularly poor Bournemouth team. But I was encouraged by our discipline, shape and organisation without the ball, it looked like the team had a game plan and played to those instructions. I think it overly simplifies things to say we ran around a bit more and pressed higher.

To be able to do that effectively you have to press as a team in a coordinated effort. 1st man goes, then the 2nd, 3rd etc... to often this season we’ve seen Rice, Noble, Snodgrass ahead of the attacking 3 trying to lead the press which leaves big holes in behind. Our 2nd goal today was a great example of how to execute the high press as a team, win the ball back and then create a high quality chance/goal while the opposition defence were disorganised.

It wasn’t limited to this passage of play only. Throughout the game the gaps between the lines were much smaller than they have been previously. Meaning Rice wasn’t having to firefight and cover the whole pitch. The whole midfield and defence played tight to one another and suffocated the space making it difficult for Bournemouth to play through us. The compact shape and reduced spaces allowed Ogbonna to be really aggressive and dominate their forwards, preventing them from getting any sort of foothold in the game.

Will be interesting to see if this can be maintained throughout the remainder of the season particularly against better and quicker opposition players who are better equipped to capitalise on a lack of pace and strength in our midfield. But closing the gaps between those lines definitely helps address those deficiencies in the squad.
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Thought everyone played well - even the subs (albeit we seemed set on keeping the ball and not attacking as much by that point). Fornals, Snodgrass, Noble and Haller were knackered by the 80th minute as they’d worked themselves into the ground. All were very good, Ogbonna and Nobes were excellent as others have already said.

You could tell a few of them still lack confidence though. Anderson had a great chance to shoot at least twice before he scored his goal yet he was trying to pass instead for both. Felt a bit like playing a football computer game where you forget which button is shoot and keep pressing pass by accident.

Lots of endeavour, hard work and decent high press.... we really could have scored more if our final ball was a bit better quality. Haller could have released a couple of players in the first half. Bournemouth were awful.

Stadium had lots of empty seats - we had some Americans behind us who we ended up advising which West Ham players made a good bit of play as they couldn’t tell. Think they were hooked by the end...didn’t want to tell them this was a very un-west ham result. Lol

Hopefully that game helps confidence. We still look like we need it and we need a few more results quickly given fixtures in a months time. But well played today West Ham.
mattyD
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by mattyD »

Rasp wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:41 pm A cracking result today with some fine performances but lets not get carried away here, Bmouth were absolutely shocking for ninety minutes, how they have acquired 20 points so far this season is beyond me....
Nah, let's get carried away.
WCpete
Has liked: 1464 likes
Total likes: 3153 likes

Post by WCpete »

MrHammer73 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:24 pm Apparently 2005 under Pardew v Villa at home. Away maybe we have

That's pretty shocking!
Is that the match that Anton & Yossi hit wonder goals? (Well wonder goals for us anyhow)

EDIT: Nope. Checked. Harewood with a hat and Yossi with a very nice individual goal.
Last edited by WCpete on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3014 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Polite reminder

Can posters keep on topic please.

Thank you.

:thup:
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

e17 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:59 pm Thought Ogbonna was immense tonight

HotY so far
Yep. Strange one as we won by 4 but he was my motm
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

WCpete wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:59 pm Is that the match that Anton & Yossi hit wonder goals? (Well wonder goals for us anyhow)
That was v Fulham

This was the Marlon Harewood hat-trick.
S-H

Post by S-H »

simon1982 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:02 pm Yep. Strange one as we won by 4 but he was my motm
Yep absolutely dominant.

My HOTY so far, too.