The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by S-H »

smuts wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:01 pm Wishing all of you all the best this Christmas and for the new year. :crest:
Amen.

Remember, tomorrow is just another day.

All the best.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Wishing everyone on here, good or better mental (& physical) health. :thup:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Harlow and others ... firstly, I’ve got huge admiration for you all in putting your issues down in print. That takes a lot of courage and sometimes helps to make them clearer.

Secondly, I sometimes feel a bit low, particularly at this time of year as a result of a bit of cabin fever, and the 3 month long chore that is Christmas (for the first time this year, I had to leave an Xmas shopping trip as I was so upset by the materialism of it all, whilst homeless were sat on the street). When I feel like this, I find a walk in a park quite restorative and helps a lot - it doesn’t need to be long but being in the fresh air, and looking at simple things in nature such as a squirrel running up a tree, the kites flying above, or just a leave being blown around the place ... these things really lift my spirits. People in parks generally are a bit more relaxed too and a smile or brief acknowledgement is most beneficial. This isn’t going to solve everything but may be a little positive thing that might help.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Merry Christmas one and all, hope everyone has a relaxing and peaceful day.

Quick reminder for those that may want to take part today. Sarah Millicans #joinin campaign is on its 9th year.
Go to Twitter and click on #joinin if you fancy having a chat today.
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Harlow Hammer »

Thanks for all those that have added to the thread.

You have no idea how much they have helped over the few days. Virtual strangers willing to help or even listen makes a massive difference.

Getting stuff down in writing, as hard as it was at the time, has helped immensely. A small glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Took the dog for a long walk to see my dad this morning, contacted a few friends I’ve not spoken too for a while and arranged a few catch ups in the new year. Now trying to understand the rules of dungeons and dragons with my boys!

Truly grateful for the KUMB “family”, a long way to go but I needed to start somewhere.

Merry Christmas to all, have a great day now watch those b******** ruining it on Boxing Day😡😡😡

HH
Samba

Post by Samba »

Harlow Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:08 pm Merry Christmas to all, have a great day now watch those b******** ruining it on Boxing Day😡😡😡
HH
They certainly did!
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Pretty **** Christmas all told.

Think the first two weeks of the New Year will see divorce proceedings start

Exactly the same day as my last marriage blew up.

I give up. Just tired of fighting for this now, she flips flops so much, just banging my head against a brick wall trying to save it. I don't even know if she will be all sweetness and light tomorrow but even if she is , it won't last.

If we didn't have children, I would have given her a couple of chances and then jettisoned her but she knows I won't walk away, so doing this is easy for her.

I have not had a drink in nearly 20 years now and I'm seriously considering going down to the pub tonight it's that bad. Looking forward to New Year obviously :) :)
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Sorry to hear this Whitey, I would give the pub a skip mate it is not the answer and won't help you one bit.

I am sure some of the others on here will offer you some advice soon, and all I can say is that I hope you can get through this.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:58 pm Sorry to hear this Whitey, I would give the pub a skip mate it is not the answer and won't help you one bit.

I am sure some of the others on here will offer you some advice soon, and all I can say is that I hope you can get through this.
Cheers mate. I'm sure I won't head down there., just feel like it but you're right, it will make things much worse.

Will probably go out for a walk instead to clear my head.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Am also sorry to hear your situation, Whitey.
Can't be easy for you, mate.
I hope things somehow improve for you in 2020.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Christmas can be very much like going on Holiday , we look forward to the event so much but it's fraught with various problems and stress and these manifest themselves in couples falling out - if the falling out only occur at Christmas I wouldn't worry about the situation , if it's a year round thing then that's a whole different ball game .
You said your previous relationship broke down at Christmas , is this purely coincidence or do you find this time of year particularly stressful ?
Hope you can work things out , Mr White . :thup:
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Sorry to hear that ,Whitey.Christmas always seems to make me focus too,I suppose it's the break in routine.
Hope you can figure a way through all of it.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Seriously, the most calls to & appointments with solicitors, regarding seeking a divorce, hit a peak just after Christmas & the New Year, EVERY single year.
It's a f*cking fraught time that clearly makes existing problems, come to a head.
If a couple can get through Christmas, they're doing well..
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

This is great advice from CALM about how we talk about suicide and how we might approach someone we are worried about.
https://www.thecalmzone.net/help/worried-about-someone/
Samba

Post by Samba »

Nice one, mushy.
Don't forget people, Christmas & the difficulties that it can bring might be over, but tonight & tomorrow can be equally difficult, especially if one is feeling a bit down, anyway.
Never forget, you're never alone on here & also that there's ALWAYS hope.
I hope that everyone on here has the best 2020, that they possibly can.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I've been mashed up in the system.Been switched from one Mental Health Trust to another( no one's fault, just fallen foul of bureaucracy). I had a good thing with my old shrink and his crew, but now I'm not allowed to see him anymore and I'm with a new outfit.Tomorrow morning I'm being visited by a MHnurse(+a student) who are going to 'assess my mental health needs'. [They could,however, just look at nearly 50 years of medical records. ]
Actually I know I need some help, but I've had plenty of assessments and it's difficult to know how to behave.Even though they are trained etc,etc, some of them can't see through an appearance of rationality, on the other hand I'm so worked up about it, I'll probably say nothing at all,I don't want to be sectioned.
Fingers crossed.
The Old Man of Storr

They're not there to judge you , mate they're there to assess and help if needed - just be yourself and take it easy .
Samba

Post by Samba »

Tenbury wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:15 pm I'll probably say nothing at all,I don't want to be sectioned.
Definitely don't mention your plans for Gold & Sullivan.. :D

It is always difficult to know how to present oneself, especially with a new person (or people). You can't always believe that you will be understood.
I don't doubt in all your years of experience Tenners, that you've seen some good people but equally at times, some f*cking idiots.
I hope tomorrow that it's the former.
As you feel that you need some help, try to think about what help you would like, if possible.
Best of luck, mate. :thup:
Samba

Post by Samba »

I'm really not great myself. Mum came out of hospital yesterday after 19 days & can't really do much for herself.
We've had a carer come in twice. She's African & very nice & caring but can hardly speak English, which is not the best situation.
I'm really struggling to cope but I realise that it couldn't be a worse time of year to get anything up & running. I'm just hoping for some more help soon. It really didn't seem the best idea to discharge her on New Years Eve..
The Old Man of Storr

Samba wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:16 pm I'm really not great myself. Mum came out of hospital yesterday after 19 days & can't really do much for herself.
We've had a carer come in twice. She's African & very nice & caring but can hardly speak English, which is not the best situation.
I'm really struggling to cope but I realise that it couldn't be a worse time of year to get anything up & running. I'm just hoping for some more help soon. It really didn't seem the best idea to discharge her on New Years Eve..
When I sent you the PM last night I hadn't seen this - sorry . :thup: