Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by pezza20 »

mjustincredible wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am Noble is an enigma when it comes to taking penalties - He has such an amazing conversion rate and I never feel that nervous when he takes them.

But many of them don't seem to be well struck, he mainly just side foots them in with average power and a lot of time they aren't even in the corner, but somehow 90% of the time he sends the keeper the wrong way, i really don't know how he does it, it's amazing. :scarfer:

Maybe he always does his homework on the opposition keeper to which way they normally dive, etc, maybe he just confuses them with his weird little curved run up. maybe he just does them with his eyes :think: But whatever he does it generally works.

When you think of so many premier league teams which have such issues with penalty kick takers and numerous misses - it's one thing that he nearly always delivers on. Shearer, Lampard and Gerrard are the only 3 players in premier league history who has scored more from the spot.
I agree but I think it is just down to the fact he can vary the placement without changing his run up so keepers can never evaluate before the game which way he will put it.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:52 am That's a terrible indictment, of our inability to sign a decent striker.
Ha, quite true. Along with the fact that any above-average strikers we have had has either left fairly sharpish (Tevez, Arnie, Hartson, Ba), or had major injury issues (Ashton, Carroll, Kitson).

Zamora and Carlton simply weren't prolific enough at this level.
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

Rozzop wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:13 pm I see the handful of good games he has and the majority of poor ones.

If we need to progress, we need to upgrade. Joe Allen isnt club captain at Liverpool. Stephen Ireland left Man City a long time ago. Yet here we are, with bog standard Noble being revvered cos he shows up four times a season and wouldnt get a contract anywhere else.

He needs upgrading and ive been saying it for close to a decade.
It's not like we haven't signed tons of central midfielders during his time here, though. Any of them could have displaced Noble from the first XI, but every manager we've had has always turned to Noble. That either suggests our scouting has been poor, we haven't invested enough money in that position, or Noble is far better than some of us give him credit for.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Mark Noble, an enigma ...

Hasn't been capped by England, no other club has ever come in for him.

Great pen taker, a rare one one club man, through design or due to his shortcomings?

Yesterday was his best game for probably 12 months. What is a re-occurring and interesting point is that when a manager ends his tenure at the club, Bilic, Pelle, Grant, Zola, Noble has generally being playing really poorly. We all say lets upgrade him yet as soon as the new manager comes in he starts playing blinders again and looks irreplacable ... he may be a one club man but he has his finger on the pulse of the owners mindset and obviously prefers keeping his role rather than supporting struggling managers. His and his fellow players was appalling for the last 8 weeks yet yesterday he and the others pulled out a committed, focused approach not seen for many weeks.

For that he and the others should hang their collective heads in shame. Remember we are the club, not them.

I hope Nobes continues producing yesterday's performances rather the the Pelle ones.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Blimey another PL stat for the Hammer of the Decade Mr West Ham himslef

PL goal involvement of WHU (from the current bun)

DiCanio 47 goals 31 assists Total 78
Noble 45 goals 33 assists Total 78
Sinclair 37 goals 25 assists 62
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

pezza20 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:47 pm Mark Noble, an enigma ...

Hasn't been capped by England, no other club has ever come in for him.

Great pen taker, a rare one one club man, through design or due to his shortcomings?

Yesterday was his best game for probably 12 months. What is a re-occurring and interesting point is that when a manager ends his tenure at the club, Bilic, Pelle, Grant, Zola, Noble has generally being playing really poorly. We all say lets upgrade him yet as soon as the new manager comes in he starts playing blinders again and looks irreplacable ... he may be a one club man but he has his finger on the pulse of the owners mindset and obviously prefers keeping his role rather than supporting struggling managers. His and his fellow players was appalling for the last 8 weeks yet yesterday he and the others pulled out a committed, focused approach not seen for many weeks.

For that he and the others should hang their collective heads in shame. Remember we are the club, not them.

I hope Nobes continues producing yesterday's performances rather the the Pelle ones.

At the very beginning of this season, when we were picking up points, people were remarking how well Noble was playing, and talking of England call-ups again, albeit rather fantastically. Only need to go back three months in this thread to see how much praise he was receiving. His poor form coincided with the rest of the team's plummet.
flysohigh
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by flysohigh »

His position is so key to the team it somewhat explains why our form is inconsistent. He runs the game against the lower clubs but gets found out against the top clubs. He can be MOM one week and not at the races the next. If he was consistent I believe it would have a big impact on the team as a whole.
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

pezza20 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:47 pm What is a re-occurring and interesting point is that when a manager ends his tenure at the club, Bilic, Pelle, Grant, Zola, Noble has generally being playing really poorly. We all say lets upgrade him yet as soon as the new manager comes in he starts playing blinders again and looks irreplacable ... he may be a one club man but he has his finger on the pulse of the owners mindset and obviously prefers keeping his role rather than supporting struggling managers.
Interesting observation, and one I think is spot on. I've always been a huge fan, I'm proud that we have him, and I always big him up when talking about him to "outsiders". But where my emotions towards the younger Mark "West Ham fan living out his childhood dream" Noble were pure and easy, it gets more complicated with the older Mark "Captain slightly bigger than the club" Noble.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

He ran around like the Duracell bunny the other night. It was like Moyes found the 'real' Mark Noble locked up in cupboard and we have been watching an imposter!
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

He'll always provide better performances in a well balanced team, as will all.

Insulting to say he never gives less than his best.... his performances will look better against poorer teams.
Hammered in Singapore
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Hammered in Singapore »

Mark Noble has his faults, but so has many other players in the modern era who have worn the shirt that many on here revere. What sets Noble apart is his dedication, loyalty and respect for the community, and fans at the Clubs core.
In an era when players are turned by a call from an agent, the lure of success elsewhere, or both, Mark Noble stands tall. Respect. As his career comes to an end, fans should recognise what a great player and fan he has been for West Ham. An earlier ‘poster’ said (and I paraphrase), ‘he’s been with one club because no other club would want a player like him’. Really? My view would be other clubs probably looked at him at various times, and thought, ‘nah he’s Mr. West Ham, he won’t move.’ I’m sure many other clubs would want a Mark Noble in their team, a players player, a guy who connects to the community and helps other players understand it. I for one look at Mark Noble as one of the Clubs greats, not the most gifted, granted, but he has survived many managerial changes and is still after all these years the focal point of the team. This is probably his last effective year. Get behind him. Celebrate his like, not the mercenary. Legend? Absolutely
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

If we had any ambition whatsoever, Noble would have been a sub for the majority of the last decade.
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

Croydon wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:45 am If we had any ambition whatsoever, Noble would have been a sub for the majority of the last decade.
I mean technically if we were Man City/Liverpool's level the last decade. But if we were a say top 6/top 4 side I'd still want Noble in the starting 11 over the majority of the last decade.
Oldammer

Post by Oldammer »

Mark Noble can be brilliant one week and average for many.West Ham can be brilliant one week and average for many.
The perfect fit really. While Mark's name continues to be 'first on the team sheet', West Ham will win nothing.
I used to like the fella but after Burnley, no more.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

pezza20 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:47 pmYesterday was his best game for probably 12 months. What is a re-occurring and interesting point is that when a manager ends his tenure at the club, Bilic, Pelle, Grant, Zola, Noble has generally being playing really poorly.
Possibly a bit harsh Pezza. He had a purple spell earlier this very season - against Man U for instance he was head & shoulders above their midfield.

I think it’s a lot about age & time catching up with him when it comes to fitter, better organised opposition. Unfortunately that makes him seem more of a flat track bully when he does have outstanding games. The Mancs were in free fall at the time and the Cherries look like a team in a similar place right now.

I think a part of the problem is that the importance and influence he’s had put on his shoulders as a club ambassador
has and never will equate to his status or position as a footballer. He’s still a great option to have for a mid table team, but he’s never ever been a Scott Parker or Nolan type player, that can grab a team by the scruff unexpectedly even against the Liverpool’s of this world.

None of that is to knock him, he’s a genuine club legend, but I think it’s unfair to analyse why he’s never kept a manager in a job without considering he’s not the type of player who could.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

He makes it into Crooks' Team Of The Week
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Croydon wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:45 am If we had any ambition whatsoever, Noble would have been a sub for the majority of the last decade.
Jordan Henderson Captains the current runaway league leaders, European and World Champions and last night played in a midfield that included James Milner. Noble, IMO is a better "footballer" than both of these lads. Danny Drinkwater won the league with Leicester, he's better than him.
As a club we hugely undervalue players who don't have athletic ability alongside skill and we almost always think the other mans grass is greener to that end I think the fact that Mark has stayed at West Ham counts against how we perceive him as a player.
And to put to bed the point, we had offers for him more than once.
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

e17 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:29 am Possibly a bit harsh Pezza. He had a purple spell earlier this very season - against Man U for instance he was head & shoulders above their midfield.
I think it's very harsh. He's generally one of the main performers when we're doing well and is, in my opinion, fairly consistent and hardworking. However, when the team is playing badly, he's one of the first names picked out for criticism, usually highlighting his lack of speed and athleticism. There's no doubt he lacks certain attributes, but I think, if you look back at him in retrospect, he has been one of our most important and consistent performers. He certainly was playing very well at the start of the season. As I said above,you only need to go back 3 months in this thread to see the kind of praise he was receiving.
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

Top post Pezza. Dont think its harsh at all. What I dont understand is its widely accepted/demanded that we need to sign a centre midfielder with a bit of pace and power but then so many think that Noble is such an important player within the team. Surely it's Nobles position that any new midfielder would be replacing.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

The fact Bournemouths midfield were nonexistant also helped.

Cant remember his name but they had a player in the middle who was diabolical and cant believe he did'nt get hooked after 30 mins.