The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by HammerAl »

Randolph would be fine as a back-up, but then again, so would Martin. I don't think we need to invest too heavily in a back-up keeper, as Fabianski's keeping style will allow him to be playing at the top level for another 5 or 6 years, injuries permitting.

I would bring in both Berge and Fernandes, and replicate Liverpool's formation with their industrial midfield three (Fabinho, Henderson & Wijnaldum). I would sell Yarmolenko & Lanzini in a heartbeat if it meant we were able to bring in those two.

A midfield three of Berge, Rice and Fernandes is big, strong, powerful and would not get overrun. It would offer the centre halves plenty of protection and allow the full-backs to get forward more often too. Anderson and Antonio could then play further forward and give Haller support.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

thejackhammer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:32 am But couldn't Fernandes just say no to our option?

That's what I've never understood about Barcelona and Real Madrid using buy back clauses just to sell the player straight away, can't the player just say no?
They work because players don't want to leave money on the table. Completing a transfer guarantees you a long contract at a higher salary than the one you were previously on.

Say for example that Fernandes has 3 years on his deal right now, he joins us for 18 months and we take up the option to buy him outright. If he says no, he returns to Benfica and only has an 18 month deal on a lower wage. If he signs with us, he probably gets a 5 year deal and doubles, maybe even trebles his money.

There is no guarantee Man U and Benfica can reach an agreement over him. There is no guarantee he can agree a new contract with Benfica at the salary level he wants. If a player is prepared to join you on loan, they are probably prepared to sign for you long term.

They work for Real Madrid and Barcelona in a different way, generally if those clubs want to buy you, you want to play for them. Not many, if any, young players turn down that chance.
denzel

Post by denzel »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:41 am Berge was also linked whilst Pellegrini was here.
This is what I mean by paper talk, mate. Not digging you out at all or anything but we've been linked with about two-thirds of players on the planet. :lol:
Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:41 am Moyes strikes me as someone who's quite meticulous and goes through a lot of work identifying players. He's known to like to watch players before making decisions, and doesn't rush. He's frequently accused of being indecisive as a result. Much has been made about the work he did at Everton implementing a great scouting system.
Yes, very true. :thup:

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:41 am I just don't see him being interested in signing all these players we were already being linked to before he arrived. They might be presented to him as potential options that we've already scouted, but I imagine he'll reject many of them and have his own ideas about players he'd like to bring in.
Agreed.
Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:41 am Maksimovic and Fernandes do seem to fit the bill with regards to what he's looking for.
I hope we can get one or both over the line.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

Now that Pellers (and presumably Hussilos) are offski, has club's mouthpiece#2 Ex been let off the leash?

Great to see us acting as professional as always.
denzel

Post by denzel »

Croydon wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:47 am Now that Pellers (and presumably Hussilos) are offski, has club's mouthpiece#2 Ex been let off the leash?
To be fair, he was still giving news even under Pellegrini's tenure.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

keithwright1977 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:41 am Gedson Fernandes wants to come to us, surely they couldn’t fxxx it up now could they
Oh Keith...
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Post by steps »

Randolph is no better than Roberto. He was dreadful for us.

And just saying, now we are back in no holds barred Sully territory, I expect none of these exciting potential signings to materialise, sadly.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:41 am Moyes strikes me as someone who's quite meticulous and goes through a lot of work identifying players. He's known to like to watch players before making decisions, and doesn't rush. He's frequently accused of being indecisive as a result. Much has been made about the work he did at Everton implementing a great scouting system.

I just don't see him being interested in signing all these players we were already being linked to before he arrived. They might be presented to him as potential options that we've already scouted, but I imagine he'll reject many of them and have his own ideas about players he'd like to bring in.

Maksimovic and Fernandes do seem to fit the bill with regards to what he's looking for.
Fair point... wasn't this part of the reason Dendoncker didn't happen? He sent people (Pearce?) to watch him and he wasn't impressed enough to make the commitment there and then for the fee being touted but was obviously interested enough to even see one of his coaches go and watch him. Probably wanted more time to scout him before making the commitment long term... (it may have happened in the summer if he had been kept on)

It doesn't mean he won't go for a player who he has seen and is informed on... I'd imagine he has been watching a lot of football over the last 18 months and did some homework on a few players who have caught his eye in prep for the next position he takes. See the Mario transfer 2 years back... obviously a player who had caught his eye and he could see making an impact.

Maksimovic, Fernandes, Berge... all could be players he knows and would be keen on.

We're not talking about old 'Arry buying someone on the back of a fuzzy video that came in a brown envelope with a wad of cash from an agent...
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Will be a touch if Boro have the stones to say no to the Randolph thing.

Team of the year or not, is it not far more likely he's just a better fit at that level than that he's suddenly improved dramatically, in his 30s, in the space of 18 months?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Holland will be going on loan to Oxford after the Gillingham game according to Ex.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

We're in a similar position to last year with the squad but for slightly different reasons.

Last year Lanzini, Reid, Wilshere, Yarmolenko and Carroll were unavailable for basically the entire season. For a club of our resources having 20% of your 25 man squad out of action is not sustainable. This year Roberto, Zabaleta & Sanchez are basically write offs due to age and quality and Reid & Wilshire remain on their beds from last season.

TTS is right, get those squad places filled with people that can contribute to even an average standard and things start to look a hell of a lot rosier.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:27 am I expect she was torn.
Very good... :lol:
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Fernandes could be like singing Alex Song with extra drive, youth and legs.

Villa possibly in for Butland to cover Heaton loss. Made some big clangers for Stoke last season. Much prefer Etheridge at Cardiff. Impressed in the Premier League, not seen him make any errors this season that I can recall watching Quest show each week.

QPR's playmaker Eze and right winger Osayi-Samuel impressing lately.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

denzel wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:53 am To be fair, he was still giving news even under Pellegrini's tenure.
Really? I don't have Twitter or social media, so the only bits and pieces I see from him are on here and I've seen him quoted more recently than ever under Pellers!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Stanislav Lobotka's agents on their way to Napoli to tie up a deal, according to Nicolo Schira
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Corney Beal wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:16 pm
QPR's playmaker Eze
Won’t be at QPR much longer, for sure.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I'm glad that we are looking at midfielders, just hope we aren't window shopping again.. Carvalho.. Dendoncker
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Corney Beal wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:16 pm Much prefer Etheridge at Cardiff. Impressed in the Premier League...
An excellent 'keeper, though getting on for 30 too.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:33 pm An excellent 'keeper, though getting on for 30 too.
I guess it would depend on what we think of Trott and Anang.

If by the time he's 23 the club believe Trott will be first choice then they won't want to spend big on a goalkeeper.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Anyone enthusiastic about cantwell obviously didn't see his recent league cup performance. Beyond abysmal. Literally couldn't kick the ball straight. I'm not saying he's not a promising young player, but an erratic playmaker may be a position that doesn't need filling at whu