what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Star Tavern, Belgravia

Wow! What a pub, tucked away nr Knightsbridge and the hustle and bustle of Harrods etc.

Perfect Sunday afternoon spent having a pint of Fuller's Oliver Island and live jazz music. Great stuff, especially at Xmas.

9/10.

Cross Keys, Gracechurch Street
For a Wetherspoons, not bad. Usual pissed up types by the time we arrived at about 9pm for some post-drinking food. In fact, it may have had a beer festival on at the time? Probably the best Spoons I've visited for real ale. Had a pint of Titanic Plum Porter which is a gorgeous pint. One of my all-time favorites.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:23 pm Star Tavern, Belgravia

Near where i work. That was Billy Hill's "local" for many a year.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

The Chandos, St Martins Lane, a decent Sam Smiths boozer that wasn't too busy and the Stout was good.

Although an American tourist had their phone nicked with the old map over the table trick.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Isnt there a ban on mobiles in Sam Smiths pubs or something?
Perhaps it was just the manager confiscating it.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

mushy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:02 pm Isnt there a ban on mobiles in Sam Smiths pubs or something?
Yeah that's true ...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 46316.html

There was a few years ago a banning swearing order in Sam Smith's pubs too

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ed-on-spot

I've seen loads of people using laptops in the Princess Louise and I'm sure I had a sweary conversation on a mobile with a gooner mate so don't think it's enforced too much.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

mushy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:02 pm Isnt there a ban on mobiles in Sam Smiths pubs or something?
There was a sign up in The Chandos saying it was a mobile and laptop free zone but this was definitely a team of two nicking it.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:23 pm Star Tavern, Belgravia

Wow! What a pub, tucked away nr Knightsbridge and the hustle and bustle of Harrods etc.

Perfect Sunday afternoon spent having a pint of Fuller's Oliver Island and live jazz music. Great stuff, especially at Xmas.
6 mins walk to The Grenadier

I'll have to do both next time :thup:
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:56 pm The Lord Aberconway, Old Broad Street

First time in here, looks like an old victorian pub. Really good selection of beer. Had a lovely pint of Dark Island and Maesls Heffe Weisse.

8/10
Refurbed earlier this year. This was the first ever boozer in the city I drank in. A lot better than the Railway. And you're right, it is Victorian. Named after the former chairman of the Metropolitan Railway, it has gone by other names in its history.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Waltham Forest College/uni? - Walthamstow.

Went an xmas dinner there in the restaurant. The food was cracking and really enjoyable - BUT the booze! Seriously.

No draft beer, bottled beers only, only bottled bitter is John Smiths (which my card Carrying Camra mates said "I'd rather drink my own piss than drink THAT!") I went for the wine - bad mistake. The white was dreadful: sickly sweet, almost like a dessert wine, yet thin and watery with a very bitter aftertaste. I changed to the Rose - I didn't know rose' could be so dreadful - same as the white but with a bit of a berry flavour.

0/10 for the Booze
9/10 for the food (A point deducted for only 3 small roast potatoes and the brussels being blanched not cooked - meaning they were hard as nails - not even close to Al dente.

The Bell, Walthamstow.

Very much changed since the decade or two since I was last there - and for the better. A decent range of both ales and lagers. We plumped for the Titanic Plum porter which was excellent. Two pints for well under £10 too! Full of yummy mummies and Tarquins at this time of the day (2pm) and screaming kids, but the décor, chesterfield setee's and bare wood décor - plus and open fire - made up for it. Not the best bogs in the world, somewhat dirty and cramped but a solid 8/10. I'd go back.

Unnamed pub/bar above Mirth Mayhem and Maude - Walthamstow.

When I was shown that were going to drink in Mirth etc I inwardly cringed. I remember paying almost £10 a glass for Montepulchano D'bruzzo when I was there before. But my mate showed me that if you go into a bar above it, the drinks are MUCH more reasonable. and the bar - well it's a dive bar, Down at heel, dirty, old school set up (dodgy wallpaper and well worn carpet), a bit dark and dingy. BUT what a bar. Really great bar staff, friendly locals and best of all two pints ( a Guinness and an Estrella Galica) for £6!!! Top music and dogs are allowed too, Furthermore the bogs: big, spacey, clean yet basic. Apparently every Tuesday that have £3,00 a pint all day and it's the same 11 am till 6 PM weekdays. I loved it and would go back in a heart beat - a great place to have a conversation too as you can hide yourself away in this large booze. 9/10 (not an overly great range of beers = -1 point)
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Ye Olde Watling, Pavillion End then the Rising Sun. All soaked up with a ruby at the Begal Tiger.

My council gritter is playing up this morning.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Starting Gate,Wood Green N22
A lovely old Victorian pub opposite Alexander Palace overground station.
Decent pint of Doom Bar, though at £4.60 it wants to be.
I left just as all the people from the Darts turned up an they were only serving in plastic glasses.
7/10
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:15 am

My council gritter is playing up this morning.
Your just making them up as you go along now Rich!? :lol:
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:56 pm The Lord Aberconway, Old Broad Street

First time in here, looks like an old victorian pub. Really good selection of beer. Had a lovely pint of Dark Island and Maesls Heffe Weisse.

8/10
Just up the road from where I work. Popped in here for a liquid lunch every working day this week. Because of its proximity to Liverpool St it is nearly always rammed after work and I have not frequented it since the revamp.

Quite a small pub but makes good use of the space available with some booths over in the corner and a few tables up a tight staircase over the door. As GCRO reports, a good selection of beers on tap and draught and they also boast a large selection of gins.

I am afraid that I stuck to the same drink on each visit as it was so fine. In fact it was Fyne Ales Jarl. A good use of citra hops give it an almost Yankee IPA flavour, light and refreshing for a couple of pints for lunch.

9/10 for the beer and 8/10 for the pub. Might of got an extra point or two if the bar staff were not so miserable.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Collector wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:10 pm Just up the road from where I work. Popped in here for a liquid lunch every working day this week. Because of its proximity to Liverpool St it is nearly always rammed after work and I have not frequented it since the revamp.

Quite a small pub but makes good use of the space available with some booths over in the corner and a few tables up a tight staircase over the door. As GCRO reports, a good selection of beers on tap and draught and they also boast a large selection of gins.

I am afraid that I stuck to the same drink on each visit as it was so fine. In fact it was Fyne Ales Jarl. A good use of citra hops give it an almost Yankee IPA flavour, light and refreshing for a couple of pints for lunch.

9/10 for the beer and 8/10 for the pub. Might of got an extra point or two if the bar staff were not so miserable.
If they still have it on, you have to try the Dark Island. It's an amazing pint.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

The Three Compasses, Littley Green. Just off the road between Chelmsford and Great Dunmow it used to be a Ridleys house as the brewery used to be down the road. Sadly the brewery is no more since being sold to Greene King and now a housing estate.

Now a free house, all ales are served from the cask. In fact they actually go down into the cellar to get your point.

They are about to refurb but hopefully they wont ruin what is a typical pub with old school charm.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Bit late but a couple of places from my festive stay back in London.

The White Horse, Beckenham. Big Spoonsy-type place on the high street, only went there to watch the Spurs-Chelsea game with my benighted Spurs-supporting little brother. Lots of screens for the football, usual generic beers. No problems at all if you're in central Beckenham and want to watch a game on telly, basically. 7/10.

The Coach And Horses, Beckenham. Me and our kid have made this a new Christmas Eve tradition the past 2 or 3 years. We always tell our Christmas host (Auntie Carol) that we're just popping out to do a bit of last-minute Christmas shopping around noon (true) and that we'll just have a couple of pints on the way home (true, at least in intent), then end up there for about 6 pints before getting a verbal clip round the ear upon our return (me and our kid don't see each other enough so it's inevitable). But it's in part to this being a cracking little old-fashioned pub, just off the high street. Good Timothy Taylor ales (very nice pint of the 'Landlord' IPA), and they keep their lagers well too. Friendly locals (nice natter with the Palace fans in there when they clocked my West Ham top!), friendly staff, dog-friendly too (good natter with both a greyhound and viszla owners and a cuddle off both the dogs!) - basically a good traditional little pub. 8.5/10.

The Friend At Hand, Russell Square. Haven't been here for a few years but took the opportunity to have a catch-up there with some friends last weekend cos of my longer-than-usual festive stay in town this Xmas. Nothing's changed - ostensibly unremarkable as a central London Greene King pub, but I was reminded of why a few of my mates have made it their 'Cheers'... nice friendly atmos, unpretentious, good service (very quick in there when it gets busy), and one of those pubs where I invariably have a good chinwag with a stranger when I pop out for a fag (don't read too much into that or do a bit of double-entendre based on the end of that comment, yeah?). Stuck to lager in there aside from one pint of Guinness, which was properly cared for too. Slight downside - too many Gooners and Spurs fans in there, but they're easily bullied, so they actually enhance the ambience once properly cowed. 8/10.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I hear The Boleyn is closing for major refurbishment later this month? I imagine no regular match day trade killed it.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 am I hear The Boleyn is closing for major refurbishment later this month? I imagine no regular match day trade killed it.
Last weekend I believe drove past yesterday and some poster up in the Windows could quite read them properly
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 am I hear The Boleyn is closing for major refurbishment later this month? I imagine no regular match day trade killed it.
Taken over by the mob that run The Lord Tred in Mile End.
That lot know how to run a decent boozer. This can only be good.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

mushy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:54 pm Taken over by the mob that run The Lord Tred in Mile End.
That lot know how to run a decent boozer. This can only be good.
The company, The Remarkable pub company, own quite a few pubs including the recently renovated Holly Tree in Forest Gate
In fact, boring fact, when you pay by card in the Holly Tree it comes up on your bank statement as the Boleyn Tavern