The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by leer34 »

Midfield has been the priority for so long now and we go and waste money from a small kitty on a waste of a keeper.
What the hell is wrong with tbe idiots in charge that a midfielder with energy and athleticism is not already in the door.
I really don't think a win against a woeful bournemouth and a win against a division 3 team should cloud the view of what we have to bring in january.
16th and still in a very bad position.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Bill wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:15 am Talking to my mate who supports Boro. It's all over their fans forum that we're signing Randolph back for £5.2m but writing off £1.5m they owe us for him. How does it make sense to pay almost £4m for a keeper as backup who wasn't deemed that good to start with?
Not for me, I'd rather we spent money on a keeper, who will push Fabianski for the No1 shirt.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

A lot of people owe Payet a beer for that season, but I always thought him more than most. He was two Dimi balls placed on a dime away from this being the enduring image of the final game at the Boleyn. The only good thing about his time here was that we made a profit on his transfer and now we don't even have that.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Christ, if you want enough reason to protest this board, it’s the clear evidence the football structure behind the scenes has not been put in place.

What scouting has ended up with “just sign the ‘keeper we sold” as the answer to our back-up ‘keeper issue? I ask a question with a very short, scummy little answer.

Randolph was pretty poor for us.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1308 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:25 am Christ, if you want enough reason to protest this board, it’s the clear evidence the football structure behind the scenes has not been put in place.

What scouting has ended up with “just sign the ‘keeper we sold” as the answer to our back-up ‘keeper issue? I ask a question with a very short, scummy little answer.

Randolph was pretty poor for us.
This just about sums it up. Randolph was a decent shot-stopper, and to be fair, is / will be a decent backup. But we sold him to move on. Once again we're showing our complete lack of scouting by panic buying our old goalkeeper back. Where is the desire to find a goalkeeper who is 23-27 that we can nurture up until Fabianski calls it a day? Where is the planning?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1850 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Reading the various twitter and press gossip, Chelsea have made Gabriel Barbosa their top target (Express, so 5/10 if we're being generous). They also want Drinkwater's £110,000 per week wages paid in full by anyone taking him on loan.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Adrian is about to pick up a Premier League winners medal, and Roberto who was replaced by our third choice keeper, is now about to be replaced by our old back up keeper, forcing the owners to spend money, and look even more incompetent than they already do.

You have to laugh.

Buy cheap, buy twice..
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

£4m for a regular international, the Championship goalkeeper of the year, and his clubs player of the season sounds like an upgrade on Roberto and Martin to me. That's all that matters imo.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Linked with a free agent right back, to replace our injured free agent right back, and retiring free agent right back..

S-H

Post by S-H »

More on Randolph.

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

David Marting was brought in as a training ground keeper and can not be considered a viable option as back-up. If Fabianski was to break a finger on the 2nd Feb, it would have left us in massive trouble.

This way, we're signing the best keeper in the Championship, who has worked with us before. 32 years old which is a great age for a keeper (probably at his peak or coming into it). Probably on a lower salary than Adrian was on. Means that we've collectively spent around £11m on Fabianski and Randolph and hopefully have a superb No. 1 and a very decent back-up for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

It's what we really should be doing in all areas of the pitch. Let's not forget that however bad Randolph was (and I don't think he was ALL that bad to be honest), Roberto has cost us a shedload of points and probably the manager his job. Getting that sorted early in the window is good business.

And please, let's not worry about that taking money away from a central midfielder. They've basically just spent on Randolph what they would have saved in wages by swapping Hernandez and Carroll for Ajeti last summer. There should be plenty of money for both.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1673 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

I thought Randolph was okay last time he was here. Sure, he had some iffy games but he also had some really good games. Perfect back up GK imo. Certainly better than Roberto and Martin.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Underwhelmed by the Randolph news, especially as he is not even fit to play at the moment. I think time has made some people forget how iffy he looked in his first spell here.

The Daves' spectacular lack of any forward planning comes back to bite them again
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Bemusing how frequently a subjective selection of Randolph in someone's season's XI at a lower level of competition, is being cited to negate the actual record of two seasons of being a bit rubbish, at this club, in this league.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Aceface wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:09 pm Bemusing how frequently a subjective selection of Randolph in someone's season's XI at a lower level of competition, is being cited to negate the actual record of two seasons of being a bit rubbish, at this club, in this league.
That's being kind.

People having a selective memory, when it comes to Randolph, is down to the Roberto effect, no doubt.
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 143 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Bill »

S-H wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:19 am
Probably offered £1 a week over a million years lol.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

OK, to be fair he was a bit poor for us whilst he was here... but I do think he's a better goalkeeper than that. I think his confidence just got shot to pieces and he never recovered. I still think he was a better number 2 than Roberto though. I suspect he'll do a decent enough job this time around.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Bill wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:23 pm Probably offered £1 a week over a million years lol.

So far as I'm concerned, he ticks all the boxes for me
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

But have you watched him play?

Decidedly average footballer in my opinion.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Sign a goalkeeper on a free who wasn’t that good, sell him for a profit and then buy him back? It worries me for future transfers when the best 2nd goalkeeper we can find was an average one we’ve had before. Dreams of Fernandes and Berge will turn into a Joe Allen reality...