The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by fmgod »

I don't get this Randolph signing from either side, he is playing first team football for a reasonably big club, he is still a great shot stopper who is awful at crosses. Only thing I can think of is, he is desperate to get back to London or/and Boro still owe us money for him and can't afford too, so are just selling him back at £0 in essence as they can't actually afford the proper transfer fee.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

fmgod wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:41 pm I don't get this Randolph signing from either side, he is playing first team football for a reasonably big club, he is still a great shot stopper who is awful at crosses. Only thing I can think of is, he is desperate to get back to London or/and Boro still owe us money for him and can't afford too, so are just selling him back at £0 in essence as they can't actually afford the proper transfer fee.
Sounds like you get it completely.

I think Randolf is as good as half the keepers in the PL so can't see the problem with it, he's not coming as first choice.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Last time he was here he was challenging for the number 1 jersey. At times, he was our number 1. However, he really wasn't good enough to be our number 1 in the same way Adrian isn't / wasn't. Are people expecting someone as good as Fabianski as our back up? Hell, even Liverpool (because team in the country right now) have our old **** as their back up!

This time, he firmly comes in as back up to Fabianski.

He isn't good enough to come in as our number 1. We won't sign anyone good enough to do that without selling Fabianski.

But our number 1 (or a player simply challenging for our number 1 jersey) from 2 years ago now coming back to be a firm back up at a nominal fee... gotta be better than Roberto I would suggest.
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:14 pm it isn't *that* easy to purchase a reserve keeper, especially when a club has an absolutely undisputed number 1 like we do who will probably be first choice for at least 18 months

There are not that many keepers who would be prepared to give up any real chance of first team football

Randolph isnt the best, but he has experience of the club and the league and is a much much better option than what we currently have
Exactly. Alot of people seem a bit dissapointed with the Randolph signing, which seems likely. There hasn't been a tonne of alternatives suggested though. Fabianski is easily one of the better keepers in the country, what quality gk is gonna leave he's current team half way through the season to sit on our bench. Even if we were to sign a young promising keeper. He wouldn't improve sitting on our bench either. The Ireland and Championship Leagues number 1, is ok by me to be Fab's deputy. Whilst we can watch over Trott's progress playing first team football
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

fmgod wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:41 pm I don't get this Randolph signing from either side, he is playing first team football for a reasonably big club, he is still a great shot stopper who is awful at crosses. Only thing I can think of is, he is desperate to get back to London or/and Boro still owe us money for him and can't afford too, so are just selling him back at £0 in essence as they can't actually afford the proper transfer fee.
I think that's it. He's basically decided that he'd rather be a No. 2 at a London club than a No. 1 in Boro. They might have a slight cheaper (wage wise) option lined up, and it may well be that that need to use those funds elsewhere.

It reminds me of when Ayew went back to Swansea. He wanted to go back to Swansea, we didn't really need him so let's just call it a write-off. I'm no accountant but given that it's unlikely that they have completely paid us for him, it's almost like we've just recalled a player who was on loan and the Boro will now just stop paying us £x amount a month that they were for him.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Longaz wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:54 pm There hasn't been a tonne of alternatives suggested though.
There was an alternative on our shortlist that most people said was a better choice that could eventually become our number 1. No one has said that about Randolph. As Fmgod has pointed out. It probably works out a slightly cheaper option and that was the reason.

I didn't think he was that good last time he was here. He came in for Adrian after he had made a couple of mistakes and ended up being replaced by him again...
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

I guess money/bigger wages takes in the Randolph situation.
Assuming he originally left us for first team football, he now see’s more wages/bench warming a better option.
I could be completely wrong of course.
Bit concerning we cant see past bringing back old managers/players, we let them go for a reason the first time.
Is that all we can attract/limits to our scouting.
Havard Nordtveit anyone ?
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

We’re getting a far different Randolph to the one we sold in 2017 and even greater the difference to the one we signed in 2015.

Very few clubs have the luxury of a Top Number 2 Keeper. The gap between most is big. Even putting aside our general love for Adrian, Liverpool’s Number 2 is our former Number 2 and a man who lost his place to Randolph in 2016, Joe Hart in 2017, and Fabianski in 2018. I even think Jussi deposed him for a short while in January 2014. So, you try and get the best you can get, and the Roberto experiment has given us much food for thought about the need for a highly capable Number 2.

That being said, I would rather Randolph starting in the championship, from an Irish point of view.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

It's a reserve GK.

Hopefully the bloke never has to play a game.
WienIron

Post by WienIron »

Longaz wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:54 pm Exactly. Alot of people seem a bit dissapointed with the Randolph signing, which seems likely. There hasn't been a tonne of alternatives suggested though.
Our scouting network should have been looking for a long term successor to the (almost) 35 yo Fabianski for a while now. From what I can gather, that list hasn't been put together, so we're lurching back to Randolph. We seem incapable of fixing the roof while the sun is shining. At the end of the day, tonnes of alternatives aren't being suggested because we're not scouts nor are we employed full time to do that. As far as I can gather, we could do just as good a job as the current lot if the sum total of their shortlist consists of former players and those whose contracts are due to expire.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

mattyD wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:49 pm I think Randolf is as good as half the keepers in the PL so can't see the problem with it, he's not coming as first choice.
He’s no better than Roberto. Was shocking here during his last stint, and cost us points in the Bilic era like for like Roberto did for Pell.

A real half-arsed short-term fudge of a signing if you ask me. Very typical of West Ham.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I really cannot fathom the transfer policy of our club.

Why the hell are we looking to pay £4m for Randolph when we already have 3 other GKs?

Even allowing for Roberto to leave, why get Randolph back? He was hardly better than Roberto has been, and couldn't keep an irratic Adrian out of the side.

Surely at this point we stick with Fab as #1, have Martin as short term back up, and look for a long term reserve GK or else younger understudy for Fab to buy in the summer?

:eh:
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

steps wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:34 pm He’s no better than Roberto. Was shocking here during his last stint, and cost us points in the Bilic era like for like Roberto did for Pell.

A real half-arsed short-term fudge of a signing if you ask me. Very typical of West Ham.
I’m not Randolph’s biggest fan, but he is certainly better than Roberto
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclu ... -year-old/

Etheridge.

Never heard of this site or journo but I'm all aboard!
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

steps wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:34 pm He’s no better than Roberto. Was shocking here during his last stint, and cost us points in the Bilic era like for like Roberto did for Pell.

David Martin, who was bought as a training keeper, has proved to be dramatically better than Roberto, who looks like he's terrified to be on the pitch.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

They’ll be making enquires about Joe Hart next.

This club. :eh:
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:47 pm https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclu ... -year-old/

Etheridge.

Never heard of this site or journo but I'm all aboard!
This would be great news. At 29 he's plenty of years left in him and has the potential to replace Fabianski in a few years time. I think he's a great keeper. I think Randolph would be fine as a number 2 keeper, but Etheridge would be better.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Given he is at least as good as Adrian (who also cost us numerous points under various managers) it means Liverpool’s second keeper is as bad as our current one.