The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by neathiron »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:49 pm Hello Dave
That does happen to be my name lol. You're good, what's the lottery numbers for this week?
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I remember watching Allen play for Wales against Ireland two years back and when he went off injured after about 20 mins Wales really lost their shape and with Ramsey missing that night and Bale absent, it really became a scrap ala the lower echelons of the PL or the Championship. Allen gave an extra dimension and vision to the Welsh play and he was a cool head.

The difficulty is that he is much like Snodgrass as a name and that just won’t inspire people as a new signing. However, as pointed out it pushes Sánchez out a bit.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

I presume we'll try and bring john paintsil back....

Baffled how anyone can think joe allen would be a good option for a team with the slowest midfield in the league.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

neathiron wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:54 pm Think Allen could be a great signing for Moyes. All our fans ask for is a bit of effort and they would get it in spades from Allen.
We have effort from Noble, Snodgrass and Fornals in central midfield. What we don't have is speed, athleticism around the park, someone who can win a header, someone who might be able to assist Rice with some tackles.

I don't think we can get all of those things on our budget and especially not in January, but it would be nice to get someone who does at least one of them.
neathiron

Post by neathiron »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:58 pm

And we have always wanted more than just effort. Being s*** is always a problem, regardless of whether they huff and puff
A bit of skill and flair is always welcome but we wasn't even getting the effort under Pellegrini, at least its back now with Moyes in charge.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Joe Allen is a good honest pro...but this seems to me like Dave never upgraded his copy of FM17 and after sacking Husillos has just booted it up again to bring in new blood.
neathiron

Post by neathiron »

Come on lads and lasses, Joe Allen's Welsh, not many of my fellow countrymen have let the club down over the years. I give you Woosnam, Hartson, Collins, Gabbidon, Bellamy, Collison to name a few off the top of my head (dons tin hat)
Last edited by neathiron on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Aceface wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:02 pm We have effort from Noble, Snodgrass and Fornals in central midfield. What we don't have is speed, athleticism around the park, someone who can win a header, someone who might be able to assist Rice with some tackles.

I don't think we can get all of those things on our budget and especially not in January, but it would be nice to get someone who does at least one of them.
Joe Allen is only 29 (though 30 in March), and has a good engine. He is tenacious and a good tackler. Personally I think he would be an ideal partner for Rice, and would provide some much-needed competition in central midfield. Would be a bit of a Scott Parker-like signing.
neathiron

Post by neathiron »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:14 pm Joe Allen is only 29 (though 30 in March), and has a good engine. He is tenacious and a good tackler. Personally I think he would be an ideal partner for Rice, and would provide some much-needed competition in central midfield. Would be a bit of a Scott Parker-like signing.
You took your time Moyesie, been waiting for some back up :)
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Confirmation on the OS of Fredericks' injury (approx. 6 weeks) https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/202 ... ury-update

Forces the clubs hand on the longer term replacement of Zabaleta at RB in the summer - we might as well get someone in now. Most properly run clubs would already have a shortlist of players lined up knowing that Zaba is going.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

A big no on Joe Allen for me. It's clear that we need strength, pace and power in centre midfield to replace Snodgrass/Noble in the 3.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

neathiron wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:12 pm Come on lads and lasses, Joe Allen's Welsh, not many of my fellow countrymen have let the club down over the years. I give you Woosnam, Hartson, Collins, Gabbidon, Bellamy, Collison to name a few off the top of my head (dons tin hat)

Now we get to the truth. The site's security processes failed to pick-up a sheep botherer in our midst.

Tbf I wouldn't have a problem someone was saying we need more Welshness in midfield. At least it would be an example of us identifying what the issue is and then going out and recruiting someone who addresses that problem.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Joe Allen is only 29 (though 30 in March), and has a good engine. He is tenacious and a good tackler. Personally I think he would be an ideal partner for Rice, and would provide some much-needed competition in central midfield. Would be a bit of a Scott Parker-like signing.
I think we’ll end up signing him at the end of the window after failing to get someone far more exciting, and he will do a competent job, but I would rather get Parker to put his boots back on than Joe Allen
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Moyes should have the option of playing a midfield 2 or 3 and changing the style to suit the opposition.

Right now, if he wants to play two in the centre with a back 4, it has to be Noble and Rice and if one gets injured it's going to really force him into a back 3/5. If he wants to play 3 in midfield he has the option of Snodgrass, or Lanzini or Fornals (but that leaves us lightweight).

Given that our two spare central midfielders (Sanchez and Wilshere) are either incapable or un/disabled, we really could do with two more.
neathiron

Post by neathiron »

Aceface wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:21 pm Image

Now we get to the truth. The site's security processes failed to pick-up a sheep botherer in our midst.
:lol: I don't know whether to take that as racist or sexist!
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Randolph, Joe Allen

I was not aware we had been relegated. They smack of "try and get us promoted" signings.
neathiron

Post by neathiron »

Aceface wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:21 pm Image

Tbf I wouldn't have a problem someone was saying we need more Welshness in midfield. At least it would be an example of us identifying what the issue is and then going out and recruiting someone who addresses that problem.
What's Gareth Bale doing these days? Probably on the golf course with Pellegrini!
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

NedN wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:25 pm I think we’ll end up signing him at the end of the window after failing to get someone far more exciting, and he will do a competent job, but I would rather get Parker to put his boots back on than Joe Allen
I hear what you are saying, but if anything, Allen is underrated at the moment. The Stoke fans certainly do not want him to leave, but it looks like FFP could force them to sell at a knockdown price. He is probably worth double what we will pay for him when he starts playing in the Premier again.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

neathiron wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:26 pm I don't know whether to take that as racist or sexist!
(Massively racist)
Last edited by Aceface on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Before joining the Potters in 2016, he was named in the Euro 2016 team of the tournament and played for Liverpool in a Europa League final.

"Of course Joe could play at a higher level," said Giggs.

"He has played in the Premier League. Since I've taken over, he's one of the most reliable players who you just know what you're going to get, both in training and in games.

"He'll take the ball anywhere. That's something he did at Swansea in his early days. He wants the ball, he wants to play football the right way."

Having progressed through the youth ranks at Swansea, Allen earned a £15m move to Liverpool in 2012.

The Reds' manager at the time was Brendan Rodgers, who had worked with Allen at the Swans and compared the Pembrokeshire-born playmaker to Spain and Barcelona legend Xavi.

High expectations at Anfield were something of a burden for Allen, but he still amassed 91 Premier League appearances for Liverpool and represented them in the Champions League.

Current boss Jurgen Klopp sanctioned his £13m move to Stoke in 2016 but, on the international stage, Allen has become a pivotal player for Wales since making his senior debut in 2009.

A tenacious central midfielder with an eye for a pass, he played a major part in Wales' historic run to the Euro 2016 semi-finals.

Allen remains a highly influential figure for his country, who visit Croatia for a Euro 2020 qualifier on Saturday before travelling to Hungary for another three days later.

"He's an intelligent player and a great lad, who you know you can rely on," said Giggs.

"He's great to have around the place.

"He knows his ability, he's not over confident, he's not cocky - he just believes in what kind of a player he is."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48513508