The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Turns to Stone »

brothernero wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:28 pm Randolph, Joe Allen

I was not aware we had been relegated. They smack of "try and get us promoted" signings.
Joe Allen is an interesting one. It's worth remembering that the last fella we got from Stoke had spent the previous season or two being a bit average and getting relegated. 6 months later he was our best player and one of the best strikers in the decision.

Joe Allen has been excellent for Wales when I have seen him and the Stoke side is completely devoid of confidence. I don't think he's going to be a saviour or anything like that. But in our squad, he is a definite step-up from anyone behind Noble and Rice currently playing. He also works hard.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

The issue isint joe allen as a person its what he represents as a footballer,
We need the opposite, you cant go forward as a club with snodgrass, noble, sanchez, wilshere, allen.
If we saw that as a opositions midfield options we would rightly say we can overun it easily.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

leer34 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:36 pm The issue isint joe allen as a person its what he represents as a footballer,
We need the opposite, you cant go forward as a club with snodgrass, noble, sanchez, wilshere, allen.
If we saw that as a opositions midfield options we would rightly say we can overun it easily.
As I say, Allen is fine as an option. We need to add a first choice central midfielder to our team, and I don't think that Joe Allen should be that. Certainly not beyond this season if we do buy him. However, it's a squad game, and if we do get Fernandes for example, I still don't really want the next best option when he's injured to be Carols Sanchez.

Snodgrass has done a superb for West Ham, as a squad player, behind the likes of Anderson, Lanzini and Antonio. And that is the role that Allen could do for us. As an excellent option of the bench, or to change things up against different opposition etc.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

leer34 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:36 pm The issue isint joe allen as a person its what he represents as a footballer,
What rubbish. Joe Allen doesn't 'represent' anything - he is a good, honest, skillful professional footballer. Wilshire was meant to be a 'next level' midfielder, and he has been an absolute waste of money. If guys like Giggs, Rodgers and Moyes rate Allen, then he is clearly capable. He would certainly be an upgrade on just about everyone in the centre of the pitch at the moment, and is at his peak age.

For the size of the fee it is an absolute bargain.
leer34

Post by leer34 »

We need to improve our first 11, 16th in the league confirms that, when you bring players in they should always be players to improve your first team.
Now is the time we have to improve on a severely weak position in our team not bring in a squad filler.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Fair play to all the people who are determined to always look on the bright side, especially in a week where the trajectory is Moyes, Randolph, Allen and all that trend suggests about our expertise and vision for the club. It's a much more pleasant look than being a moany git like I'm being. I mean that genuinely.

But it's much more of the benefit of the doubt than the people making these decisions deserve.
Last edited by Aceface on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

Whats the reported fee for Allen?
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:29 pm I hear what you are saying, but if anything, Allen is underrated at the moment. The Stoke fans certainly do not want him to leave
Like this fella?

Those who will not see?

Joe Allen is ****ing crap and has been for pretty much the entirety of his spell here, taking us from the Premier League to the brink of relegation to the third tier in the process.

I’m not having it that a couple of half decent games against dogshit opposition that a player of his alleged calibre should be bossing mean he’s our “best player”.

He’s been beyond atrocious for us, has unbalanced the team and has caused the ostracisation of a number of players better suited for his place in the team than him.

A drain on this club and we will be much better off the day he’s finally got rid of.

Read more: http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thr ... z6AGmqIeZT

Sorry for being selective. But have a read through that thread, the advocation to sell Allen from those Stoke fans far outweighs the posts wanting to keep him.
leer34

Post by leer34 »

No point in debating the point with someobe who states snodgrass has been superb, i guess we want different things from a football team.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

leer34 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:47 pm We need to improve our first 11, 16th in the league confirms that, when you bring players in they should always be players to improve your first team.
Now is the time we have to improve on a severely weak position in our team not bring in a squad filler.
Joe Allen would improve the first 11. I think he would end up a regular. He was good enough to be in the UEFA Team of the Tournament at Euro 2016 when Wales reached the semis. If anything, he has been too loyal to Stoke. He could have got a move away when they were relegated, but chose to stay and try and help them get promotion. It is hardly his fault he is surrounded by a sub-par team.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:18 pm Confirmation on the OS of Fredericks' injury (approx. 6 weeks) https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/202 ... ury-update

Forces the clubs hand on the longer term replacement of Zabaleta at RB in the summer - we might as well get someone in now. Most properly run clubs would already have a shortlist of players lined up knowing that Zaba is going.
Sam Byram fits the bill going by the current trend of ex’s.
brothernero
Has liked: 741 likes
Total likes: 752 likes

Post by brothernero »

It's kind of sad really. Walking away from the Boleyn for the last time having just beaten Man United in a thrilling game and from being behind.
No one knew what was going to be in store for West Ham United as they entered a brand new era for the football club. One where we was meant to now finally be pushing on and showing some series ambition in our new World Class Stadium.

Yet he we are into the 4th season at the Stadium that hardly anyone likes.

Talks of protests, fans divided more than ever, in a yet another relegation battle, David Moyes in his 2nd spell as our manager and looking to bring in players like Darren Randolph (again) and Joe Allen.

Just looked up backwards and underwhelming in the Dictionary. It just said West Ham United. :(
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

steps wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:48 pm Like this fella?

Those who will not see?

Joe Allen is ****ing crap and has been for pretty much the entirety of his spell here, taking us from the Premier League to the brink of relegation to the third tier in the process.

I’m not having it that a couple of half decent games against dogshit opposition that a player of his alleged calibre should be bossing mean he’s our “best player”.

He’s been beyond atrocious for us, has unbalanced the team and has caused the ostracisation of a number of players better suited for his place in the team than him.

A drain on this club and we will be much better off the day he’s finally got rid of.

Read more: http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thr ... z6AGmqIeZT

Sorry for being selective. But have a read through that thread, the advocation to sell Allen from those Stoke fans far outweighs the posts wanting to keep him.
I think thsi guy gives a more balance (and better appraisal) :

"Joe does my head in, he can look like a headless chicken and poor at keeping his position for sure, but when he has confidence in those around him in a system that everyone understands, then he starts to look like a high pressing superb midfielder. When nub job was trying the james McLean at left back experiment Joe was literally trying to do his own job along side dropping back to help out at left back. Since we have been playing the system with clucas and james back in his proper position he has had to help out on that side of the pitch much less. To see the very best of Joe we just need to replace Ince with someone willing to do their job much like James on the other side."

Basically it sounds like he has been trying to do the job of multiple men in a struggling side devoid of confidence. Doesn't help that the before getting Michael O'Neill in they had hired a young bloke after the chairman spoke to a fan at a pub in Luton! (Of course there is more to it than that, but that is the spark that led to them appointing Nathan Jones)
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Allen is a very good signing if it was alongside a strong young midfielder like Berge or Fernandes.

Being able to select two or three from Rice, Allen, Noble, Berge, Fornals, Snodgrass is a very decent selection with variety and the ability to mix up formations and styles.

Take away the young midfielder and he's just, meh.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

thejackhammer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:56 pm Allen is a very good signing if it was alongside a strong young midfielder like Berge or Fernandes.

Being able to select two or three from Rice, Allen, Noble, Berge, Fornals, Snodgrass is a very decent selection with variety and the ability to mix up formations and styles.

Take away the young midfielder and he's just, meh.
But given our (dare I make a guess) small transfer budget, he will probably be the best bang for our buck that we can get.
brothernero
Has liked: 741 likes
Total likes: 752 likes

Post by brothernero »

If David Moyes said he wanted to sign Warrick Davis and stick him in goal I bet we would get several posts from Ironing Board telling us in great detail the logic behind it and how much a genius Moyes is. :asleep:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

leer34 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:47 pm We need to improve our first 11, 16th in the league confirms that, when you bring players in they should always be players to improve your first team.
I think this is the problem for me. Who is Allen going to replace in the first XI? Not Noble or Rice. Not Lanzini or Anderson. Snodgrass?

He's not a crap player and will do a job for us no doubt, but it's usual West Ham knee jerk lack of forward planning getting someone who is cheap and available rather than the sort of player we really need.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Ahh.. Oatcake.

Reading that site, whilst looking at your fingers and toes, and cherishing the fact they aren't webbed, and being thankful for the little things in life, such as a toothbrush, soap, and not having an innate desire to f*ck my sister.

Thank you Oatcake, thank you Stoke.

Xx
Last edited by S-H on Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

brothernero wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:59 pm If David Moyes said he wanted to sign Warrick Davis and stick him in goal I bet we would get several posts from Ironing Board telling us in great detail the logic behind it and how much a genius Moyes is. :asleep:
You need bodies, and to raise the overall standard of the squad. Also, we have to bear in mind Noble is now 32. You cannot rely on him holding up throughout a season at his age.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:01 pm I think this is the problem for me. Who is Allen going to replace in the first XI? Not Noble or Rice. Not Lanzini or Anderson. Snodgrass?

He's not a crap player and will do a job for us no doubt, but it's usual West Ham knee jerk lack of forward planning getting someone who is cheap and available rather than the sort of player we really need.
I think Noble and Allen would make a good partnership, with Rice sitting behind them. You can also rotate with Fornals and (at a push) Snodgrass.

Allen is a much better player than Snodgrass, that is for sure.