The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by johnnyb »

vaz te's bonnet wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:01 pm I don't mind Joe allen the player or the footballer. He is a very skilled player but with what we need to build a balanced team and his skillset we already have. we are severly lacking in pace and physicality and his signing would not address that.
Absolutely agree.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

e17 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:06 pm I’d rather watch Gazza or Diego thanks
Well model pro Messi is as good/better than both, and he is a model pro. And Gazza's lack of discipline cost his teams often on the pitch.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

vaz te's bonnet wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:01 pm I don't mind Joe allen the player or the footballer. He is a very skilled player but with what we need to build a balanced team and his skillset we already have. we are severly lacking in pace and physicality and his signing would not address that.

That's because players with a bit of physicality about them take about 20 strides to run from one penalty box to other it would take him about a 120
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

e17 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:06 pm I’d rather watch Gazza or Diego thanks
^ Means Gary O'Neil and Diego Poyet
djbubbles
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 115 likes

Post by djbubbles »

Randolph is average but imo what we need as a number 2. Allen is good, but im not sure hes what we need. Not physical enough for that midfield berth. Wheres our ITK's? Transfer thread is boring chatting about the above two.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:52 pm One thing we should not also overlook is that Allen is a good person and a model professional.
That is a good thing, but it worries me when people quickly turn to the 'experienced' 'model pro' plus points when discussing footballer abilities. I'd rather have an arrogant twat in midfield that has the talent and adds to what we are lacking. I don't see Joe Allen doing that. He's fine as part of the squad if the first team is improved, but I'd be surprised if that happens. So we will have a better player than Carlos Sanchez, but not a player that we would pick to start or give us what we need in midfield. Is that really great business? Not particularly.

Berge has been quoted around the £20m mark, but we could be spending £11m on Randolph and Allen...
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

You mean like Ravel?
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Is Joe Allen better than Mark Noble? Otherwise I don't really see the point.. :think:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

WestHamIFC wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:33 pm Is Joe Allen better than Mark Noble? Otherwise I don't really see the point.. :think:
No.. but I bet someone will be along shortly, to try and convince you otherwise..
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 612 likes

Post by NedN »

I think we do have to consider PL experience as an important factor since there is no guarantee someone from abroad will settle right away, and if it takes someone 6 months or so to settle, that doesn’t really help.

With this said, this isn’t necessarily a dispositive reason to sign Joe Allen for 7 mill, when someone like N’Zonzi may be available on loan, who better fits what we need (age aside).

I’d rather loan N’Zonzi (or similar) and put that 7 mill towards Berge/Fernandes/someone else in that mold (maybe even one that is cheaper), than tie up 7 mill on Joe Allen (money which we then won’t have to spend later), which will leave us with a player who will likely progressively lose resale value
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:24 pm That is a good thing, but it worries me when people quickly turn to the 'experienced' 'model pro' plus points when discussing footballer abilities. I'd rather have an arrogant twat in midfield that has the talent and adds to what we are lacking. I don't see Joe Allen doing that. He's fine as part of the squad if the first team is improved, but I'd be surprised if that happens. So we will have a better player than Carlos Sanchez, but not a player that we would pick to start or give us what we need in midfield. Is that really great business? Not particularly.

Berge has been quoted around the £20m mark, but we could be spending £11m on Randolph and Allen...
Sullivan's transfer strategy in one. He sees them both as midfielders, they play in the middle of the park, dont they? Totally disregarding just what type of midfielders they are, or that one is so much better than the other. One who would considerably improve the team and cost £20m and the other half that and who won't. When its all about money and nothing else, to him, that is a no brainer
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Sullivan’s only consideration is price and contract
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

S-H wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:36 pm No.. but I bet someone will be along shortly, to try and convince you otherwise..
Both are model pro's that will give you consistent decent performances and don't hide when the going gets tough. Both are very limited in what they can single-handedly do for a team. Both are probably underrated at their clubs and make up an important cog in the engine. I bet Swansea fans used to say 'when joe allen plays well, swansea play well'. I bet their forum contained a joe allen thread that contained 400 pages of circular arguments and obstinate opinions.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

There is zero resale in Allen and it will all be about price. Get him for say £7m and you have a ready made central midfield replacement who knows the league if Noble were to pick up a knock or get suspended etc. If Wilshere was fit Allen is not needed however we know he is not. What happens if you lose Noble, we have no-one who can do what he does.

I accept neither Noble or Allen are really mobile or physically big etc but if Allen comes it suggests the manager wants to play Rice alongside a more passing, controlling central midfielder not the Kouyate type. This is even more likely if the 3 at the back experiment is to continue as the pace comes from wide and the front 3, one midfielder is needed who can link play and that is still not Rice.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2500 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Has anyone asked who's been sold to fund these 'enhancements' ?
Roby
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

Joe Allen in for £7m?

Sanchez clearly won’t get an extension on his deal that runs out in the summer.

Wilshire only has 18 mths left on his deal and that’s if the club don’t pay him off or let him leave for a MLS club anyway.

That’s two centre midfielders that Allen would immediately be in front of. He’s not cup tied either.

Tidy little player although recalling Josh Cullen might be the more forward thinking option.
Roby
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:55 pm Has anyone asked who's been sold to fund these 'enhancements' ?
Doubt Yarmolenko will be at West Ham by the end of the window.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:55 pm Has anyone asked who's been sold to fund these 'enhancements' ?
The 29 year old Antonio and or the out of favour Yarmolenko ?
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I swear Moyes said he wanted a pacey central midfielder?

They give him Joe Allen :lol:
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

I can see the logic in selling Yarmolenko even if I probably disagree with it. I really like him, would feel unsatisfying to let him go.