The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by e17 »

“We might sign Gedson Fernandes. Or we might sign Joe Allen”

G&S & January in a nutshell
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

If Randolph and Allen where already playing for us and the club was run like a professional outfit then due to age we would be looking to upgrade on these two now not going out and buying the pair.

Even knowing the outcome of this transfer window it is still bloody depressing, the quicker we get on and start protesting the better.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

e17 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 am “We might sign Gedson Fernandes. Or we might sign Joe Allen”

Also, two completely different types of midfielder..

I assume we are using the same approach undertaken when looking for strikers..
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

wobble wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:28 am If Randolph and Allen where already playing for us and the club was run like a professional outfit then due to age we would be looking to upgrade on these two now not going out and buying the pair.

Even knowing the outcome of this transfer window it is still bloody depressing, the quicker we get on and start protesting the better.
Randolph is a sensible stop-gap second keeper that we should have done last summer. Sadly, Roberto had a nervous breakdown. Allen is a good player but not what we need. Financially, it means another so-so ageing player on a long-term deal when what we need is pace and brute strength.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Allen would’ve been a decent signing 5 years ago. He’s now getting on and other than he’s an upgrade on Sanchez as a rotation option, he’s not a great signing all things considered if it happens.

If he and Fernandes come in, then it will be just about acceptable for me.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

sendô wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:18 am I thought we'd learnt from signing players entering or in their thirties that had no sell on value and are likely to only come here for one last big pay day.

It's not so much Allen himself, it's what it says about us as a club and our long term planning - that is, we don't have any.
I imagine he'll be thinking a lot more about long term plans in the summer.

As relegation was such a worry when Moyes came in, and as it's a big part of his job in the short term, it doesn't suprise me that he's bringing in 1 or 2 short term solutions. As it stands, we're only an injury or two away from Sanchez being a first team player. Allen would be a far more reliable squad player. He's professional, a good passer, a good tackler, and a good worker. I have no issue with him coming in.

It would be nice though if we obtained him in addition to another younger player such as Fernandes (how many on here have actually seen this guy play?). I personally feel that Moyes will be buying more young than old during his time with us - but that doesn't mean he'll bring no experienced players in at all.

Anyway... he's not signed yet has he? So let's not get all worked up just yet. He'll be on a shortlist of various options along with a bunch of other players.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

e17 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 am “We might sign Gedson Fernandes. Or we might sign Joe Allen”
We need the experience right now which Allen has, whilst Fernandes would be another one of Sully specials for the future

Keeper wise strange to back and pay £4M for a 32 yr old that you got rid a few years back, is it a case of he knows the club and we have him on the HR database !
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

I was once in talks with Natalie Imbruglia about a bunk up. My letters got the same amount of replies as Sully's will.

A much under used phrase.
Excellent work 👏👏👏
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:49 pm Joe Allen would improve the first 11. I think he would end up a regular. He was good enough to be in the UEFA Team of the Tournament at Euro 2016 when Wales reached the semis. If anything, he has been too loyal to Stoke. He could have got a move away when they were relegated, but chose to stay and try and help them get promotion. It is hardly his fault he is surrounded by a sub-par team.
Bit late to this but I have to disagree IB. Basing your opinion on his form 4 years ago is not indicative of what he is like now. To put some perspective he's played less premier league football in the last 18 months than WIlshere, there are no other sides clamouring to sign him and he is 30 is a month or 2 and that is exactly what we said we wouldn't be buying a year or so ago or whenever Sullivan said it.

To put it another way I wonder how many people would have had Allen over Noble 4 years ago? Even now is he a player who is really going to be able to replicate his "form" of playing for a side bottom of the league below.

It's an absolute no from me but what do I know?
westhamshares
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by westhamshares »

JustJoe85 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:02 am Bit late to this but I have to disagree IB. Basing your opinion on his form 4 years ago is not indicative of what he is like now. To put some perspective he's played less premier league football in the last 18 months than WIlshere, there are no other sides clamouring to sign him and he is 30 is a month or 2 and that is exactly what we said we wouldn't be buying a year or so ago or whenever Sullivan said it.

To put it another way I wonder how many people would have had Allen over Noble 4 years ago? Even now is he a player who is really going to be able to replicate his "form" of playing for a side bottom of the league below.

It's an absolute no from me but what do I know?
You seem to know a fair bit more than your namesake liljoe- tongue firmly in cheek for those of you with a Sense of humour bypass
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Does Randolph still count as "Overseas"? Feel it's waste of an overseas player for your back up keeper. Etheridge makes more sense, younger and similar price.

Joe Allen would be a decent signing - although £7m seems a bit OTT. Gives us another midfield option, similar to Snodgrass in that you wouldn't want to build the team around them but they'd put the graft in when needed.

We need some physicality in the middle and he's not that. If we sign one midfielder it shouldn't be Allen, if we sign a few then he'd be a decent addition.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Georgee Paris wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:02 am Why are we still shopping at Aldi?

Its because the owners are not being very Cooperative with Moyes, there are Morrisons too but basically only giving him a Lidl bit of money which they see as the Safeway forward.
Denali
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by Denali »

Finishing Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:47 am I feel Allen might be brought in to supplement Noble so we can give him a rest/break, whatever you want to call it, when needed. Call it a rotation if you like.
Normally this would be a role of a youngster who was being brought through as an eventual replacement for Noble. Not someone who is marginally younger than Noble. The younger player would be lower wages as well.

It is wasteful and illogical to do it otherwise.
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Roby wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:58 pm Joe Allen in for £7m?

Tidy little player although recalling Josh Cullen might be the more forward thinking option.
Interesting option. According to Whoscored Cullen beats Allen in pretty much every stat in the Championship this season. That is the level Allen is currently playing at.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

We arrive at this place every two years! We cannot afford to build for the future because we are in the **** now!
If we survive, Sulli will be off shopping down in Harrods for something showy whilst relying on what's left in the freezer and hoping that no one gets the shits and uses up his inadequate supply of cheap bog roll and old newspapers.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Regardless of how good Joe Allen is, does he solve our midfield problem? Does he give us a physical and athletic presence in the middle? I think he’s a decent player, but he’s not what we need. I’m not entirely sure Gedson Fernandes is either.

Berge is that player we need in the middle.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Pop Robson wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:39 am We need the experience right now which Allen has, whilst Fernandes would be another one of Sully specials for the future

Keeper wise strange to back and pay £4M for a 32 yr old that you got rid a few years back, is it a case of he knows the club and we have him on the HR database !
Fabianski, Martin, Randolph (soon), Zabaleta, Cresswell, Ogbonna, Reid, Noble, Sanchez, Snodgrass, Antonio, Yarmolenko

Off the top of my head, all over 30. We have experience. The last thing this squad needs is more "experience".
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Darren Randolph and Joe Allen!

Two questions:

What the f*** have our scouts been doing for the last two years?
Have any of our coaching staff watched our midfield play?

:eh:
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

HammerAl wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:14 am Regardless of how good Joe Allen is, does he solve our midfield problem? Does he give us a physical and athletic presence in the middle? I think he’s a decent player, but he’s not what we need. I’m not entirely sure Gedson Fernandes is either.
No, he would be a back-up for Noble in the absence of Wilshere... this is why we are looking around the 5-7 million market and not the 20+million Berge would cost!
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

wobble wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:28 amRandolph and Allen