The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by S-H »

West Ham comes to Lisborn to "close" Gedson Fernandes
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 414 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

What about Felliani ? Have we been linked with him yet? :D
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Interesting isn't it. We let Leon Britton go when he was 21. He became a pretty decent Premier League midfielder 5 or 6 years later. I think that everyone matures at different ages. Personally, I think Cullen could actually be quite useful in our midfield and think that if we had kept him on this year he would have featured. I certainly would have preferred him over Snodgrass in a 3 man midfield. But then again, I said the same about Diego Poyet and look at him now.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1855 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Josh Cullen is not the answer to any problem this team has at the moment.

He's had two good seasons in League One and has been serviceable in the Championship in bad teams. He's also at a point now where Billic and Pellegrini have had 5 full pre seasons to look at him and sent him off on loan and Moyes had half a season with him and didn't see any use for him.

If he ever plays again for this club there is a big problem.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Gsbgsb wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:16 pm Aceface

Trying to be fair to the point you make I do see a difference between say Cullen and someone like Coventry. At 23/24 I think you can pretty much judge what you will get with Cullen - if he was not “our own” how much has he done that would justify signing him? Coventry needs to be given the opportunity to see how far he can push on.
All fair enough points. Tbh I probably agree with you on Cullen if it was going off his sporadic performances for us over the years. Think I have to accept that perhaps it's not the most up to date assessment though – his regular performances for Charlton will now be a better guide. It doesn't sound like he doing any worse than Joe Allen at that level.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:25 pm Josh Cullen is not the answer to any problem this team has at the moment.

He's had two good seasons in League One and has been serviceable in the Championship in bad teams. He's also at a point now where Billic and Pellegrini have had 5 full pre seasons to look at him and sent him off on loan and Moyes had half a season with him and didn't see any use for him.

I would say he is better than Carlos Sanchez. You?
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

I feel slightly responsible for a lot of the Cullen stuff. My point wasn't how Cullen should be starting, more statistically he has outperformed Joe Allen in almost every stat this season playing in 2 very similar situations. At least Cullen would have a better age profile for a new signing

FWIW I don't want either starting for us any time soon.

I can't think of another team anywhere in the Premier League that Joe Allen or Josh Cullen would sign for.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1855 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

I would say my first and last lines apply to both players.

Rice
Noble
Lanzini
Snodgrass
Wilshere
Coventry
Any fancy a game?
Fine, see who gets here first out of Josh or Carlos.

Would be my order of preference for the central midfielders we have under contract (assuming certain people can get fit enough to show their face Headbanger )
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Josh Cullen over Joe Allen everyday of the week.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:08 am Technical lightweight? That's not Fernandes. He's more of a proto-Pogba.
10.5 stone... 6 foot? Not what we need imo.
We need a strong kouyate / obiang type who can win a 2nd ball and get up and down the pitch. If fernandez really is that good then i really hope we get him but we also need more muscle and legs in the middle too.
Bernie Bilic
Location: Turn on GPS and wireless networks in location settings
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Bernie Bilic »

I have little to no knowledge of the international player market, but Calvin Stengs and Myron Boadu both of AZ Alkmaar would be excellent signings.

Boadu would be the extra striker we need, seems like a Sakho type player. And Stengs an upgrade on Yarmenlonko, and he can compete for the right wing position with Diangana next season.

Get in Gedson Fernandes and obviously Randolph.

Ins:
Stengs - 20m
Boadu - 18m
Fernandes - Loan
Randolph -4m

Outs:
Yarmelonko - 10m
Hugill - 5m
Sanchez - 0
Roberto -0

Values are complete guess work; so a £27m spend, highly unlikely I know!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Chelsea chasing Zaha.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Bernie Bilic wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:44 pm I have little to no knowledge of the international player market, but Calvin Stengs and Myron Boadu both of AZ Alkmaar would be excellent signings.

Boadu would be the extra striker we need, seems like a Sakho type player. And Stengs an upgrade on Yarmenlonko, and he can compete for the right wing position with Diangana next season.
Agree on Boadu, excellent player and exactly the sort of talent we should be looking at with his resale value.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:42 pm 10.5 stone... 6 foot? Not what we need imo.
We need a strong kouyate / obiang type who can win a 2nd ball and get up and down the pitch. If fernandez really is that good then i really hope we get him but we also need more muscle and legs in the middle too.
Don't worry, he'll soon start piling on the pounds at our state of the art training facilities.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:59 am We are gonna sign Valencia. 34 years old. The ex man u guy. (According to the interwebs?) Pardon?
That's to keep Zabaletta on his toes :lol:
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Marky wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:31 pm I would say he is better than Carlos Sanchez. You?
Probably not? Different strengths and weaknesses and likely based on age moving in opposite directions, but I don't think Cullen is better than Sanchez at this point

Sanchez hasn't been good, and he's made some obvious and ugly looking errors, but we actually haven't been significantly worse overall with him in than without. He's not playing like Roberto was were it made the team fall apart, he's playing like Mark Noble's poorer performances.

We can and should upgrade that, but the answer isn't going to be bringing back Josh Cullen who has been a mediocre Championship player (better than Joe Allen, but he also isn't any real upgrade on Sanchez).

Cullen isn't going to make an impact here this year, let him make his mistakes and learn at his level instead of rotting on our bench.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Drinkwater signed for Villa on loan
A good thing because then he won't sign for West Ham.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 am I would prefer fernandes over berge as I think he would compliment rice in the middle
Yep, he would follow Rice round the pitch, shouting things like, "Hey, hair's looking good today, Dec!", "Ooh, wonderful pass, Dec!", and "That hairline really suits the shape of your face, Dec!"
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Everton getting Sullivanny and allegedly chasing Rabiot and James Rodriguez.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:25 pm Josh Cullen is not the answer to any problem this team has at the moment.

I've not seen enough of Cullen to forge any real opinion, but reports suggest he's been a standout performer for Charlton in the C'ship this season, and also had excellent games in his two full caps for Ireland. Only the powers that be know if he's worth a shot for us, but on paper, he sounds more appealing than splurging £7m+ on Allen. Unless Moyes, of course, is looking for someone with experience and proven credentials of playing at the top level (once).