The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Monkeybubbles »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:45 pm Chelsea chasing Zaha.
He'll claim they clipped his heels.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

norse wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:53 pm Drinkwater signed for Villa on loan
A good thing because then he won't sign for West Ham.
Drinking partner for Grealish?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2355 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Cellar-door wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:49 pm Probably not? Different strengths and weaknesses and likely based on age moving in opposite directions, but I don't think Cullen is better than Sanchez at this point

Sanchez hasn't been good, and he's made some obvious and ugly looking errors, but we actually haven't been significantly worse overall with him in than without. He's not playing like Roberto was were it made the team fall apart, he's playing like Mark Noble's poorer performances.

We can and should upgrade that, but the answer isn't going to be bringing back Josh Cullen who has been a mediocre Championship player (better than Joe Allen, but he also isn't any real upgrade on Sanchez).

Cullen isn't going to make an impact here this year, let him make his mistakes and learn at his level instead of rotting on our bench.
Completely agree with this. Sanchez gets a ridiculously bad press tbf based on not that much evidence. The only game where he has been particularly poor was Oxford, and he certainly wasn't alone in that debacle.

That is beside the point anyway. Joe Cullen probably doesn't want to sit on our bench playing very little football at his stage of his career, so doubt he would be happy with that role
Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

Valencia is still a beast of a player. Would be a good option to see out the season. Yes from me
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:39 pm I would say my first and last lines apply to both players.

Rice
Noble
Lanzini
Snodgrass
Wilshere
Coventry
Any fancy a game?
Fine, see who gets here first out of Josh or Carlos.

Would be my order of preference for the central midfielders we have under contract (assuming certain people can get fit enough to show their face Headbanger )
Which is fine. But you've got some very different central midfielders in there.

For example. If you're first choice is Noble and Rice, but Rice gets injured, are you going to replace him with Lanzini? Would you be able to play the same way and style of defensive and attacking football that you would by just bringing in Lanzini for Rice.

That's the problem for me. You've listed 6 central midfielders. I would say that only 3 of those listed are central midfielders. The others are wingers or no. 10's . That's why I would have Cullen in the squad. Not because of his ability, but because he can actually play in the position that we need some cover in.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Mikloskosglovebag wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:19 pm Valencia is still a beast of a player. Would be a good option to see out the season. Yes from me
F*ck me, the Board/Moyes could offer up a pile of sh*t on a plate, and you'd be happy with it.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Joe Allen? An oldish, slowish midfielder who isn't from Canning Town. His thread will be absolutely toxic within a month of signing for West Ham :)
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Will Zaha going to Chelsea leave an Antonio shaped hole in Hodgson's plans?
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

With respect I'm not sure posters are grasping where we are. The "project" has been abandoned. We need to survive. Joe Allen would be an asset. As would Valencia and Giroud. All the next 18 months are about is securing 60 points. Suck it up. Pardon?
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

I've seen enough of Cullen to have come to the opinion three years ago that he wasnt gonna make it with us. He'll have a decent career at Championship/League 1 level. He's the same age as Fornals.

Regarding Fernandes, he's not the biggest, but likes a tackle and can get about the pitch. Alongside Rice I believe he'd give us that something extra we've been missing. A combination of Rice/Fernandes/Fornals would have great potential.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:20 pm Which is fine. But you've got some very different central midfielders in there.

For example. If you're first choice is Noble and Rice, but Rice gets injured, are you going to replace him with Lanzini? Would you be able to play the same way and style of defensive and attacking football that you would by just bringing in Lanzini for Rice.

That's the problem for me. You've listed 6 central midfielders. I would say that only 3 of those listed are central midfielders. The others are wingers or no. 10's . That's why I would have Cullen in the squad. Not because of his ability, but because he can actually play in the position that we need some cover in.
I wasn't being wholly serious other than saying that Sanchez and Cullen would be the last of our midfield options I would like to see on the pitch.

And you're of course right that the squad is a mismatched mess of different playing philosophies, penny pinching, wrong priorities and blindness to the issues in the team.
amsterdhammer
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by amsterdhammer »

Bernie Bilic wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:44 pm I have little to no knowledge of the international player market, but Calvin Stengs and Myron Boadu both of AZ Alkmaar would be excellent signings.

Boadu would be the extra striker we need,
Agreed, seen him play a couple of times and I think he's certainly good enough for the PL, strong and quick. Spent most of last season injured, but has come back strong this one 11 + 7ass. in 17, major reason for AZ having such a strong season. Now broken into the Dutch senior team after being capped at all levels for them. Could be seriously good in the future, and a lot of potential for around £18m
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:34 pm With respect I'm not sure posters are grasping where we are. The "project" has been abandoned. We need to survive. Joe Allen would be an asset. As would Valencia and Giroud. All the next 18 months are about is securing 60 points. Suck it up. Pardon?
Nobody's talking about a project (at least I'm not) regarding Allen. We already have a slow midfield that has regularly been walked through this season. Imo, we don't need another slow midfielder to address that problem.

All this talk of needing experience because we are in a relegation battle, remind me again when it was that Glen Johnson emerged as a player for us? The board continue to do what they've always done, as if it was some proven model of success (I know, I know ... success to them, etc.)
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

David Moyes, Darren Randolph, Joe Allen, Antonio Valencia....please stop, I can't get any more erect.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Interesting that we are linked with strikers from both Milan teams, I would imagine our sudden interest in Piatek, is aimed to get a better deal for Barbosa from Inter.

Either that, or both stories are bullsh*t.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Would like to see Yarmelenko given a chance once he's properly fit. He would be a beast in our current 4-4-2 coming in on the left.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Skandi Brudson wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:26 pm Joe Allen? An oldish, slowish midfielder who isn't from Canning Town. His thread will be absolutely toxic within a month of signing for West Ham :)
Whatever you do , don't show them that video of Joe Allen and Friends celebrating after Iceland sent England out of the European Championships .
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:34 pm With respect I'm not sure posters are grasping where we are. The "project" has been abandoned. We need to survive. Joe Allen would be an asset. As would Valencia and Giroud. All the next 18 months are about is securing 60 points. Suck it up. Pardon?
Stay in the PL until the legacy payment clause expires and they can flog the club without losing any cash. That's all they are interested in.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

Where has all this talk of selling Yarmolenko come from? Any legs to it?
S-H

Post by S-H »

Hayden wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:15 pm Where has all this talk of selling Yarmolenko come from? Any legs to it?
hammerman11 I expect. £5m?