The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by steveyrockstar »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:55 pm I don't, and neither do you.

Usually the best players in the championship are hovered up by Premier League sides...

Why is he still at Stoke if he is such an brilliant player?
If he can't improve Stoke what on earth would he add to our midfield.
True, but we picked up Trevor Sinclair after he spent 2 seasons stagnating in the second tier. He genuinely was an excellent player.

Tbh, I'm not especially excited by Joe Allen, or more to the point, I'm not sure he's what we need. However, I think he is a very decent Prem level player (or was last I saw him). As others have said, if he's bought alongside someone else, then he'll probably be a solid squad booster. We seem, as a general rule, be exasperated by the thought of signing solid, proven PL players, but get reasonably excited when we sign cheapish overseas players many of us have never heard of, such as Nordtveit, Feghouli, Rat, Zaza (off the top of my head), many of which flop and potentially won't be as effective as someone like Joe Allen, Hayden, or Shelvey. I guess the issue is that we know that they're not "next level".
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

thejackhammer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:59 pm I'm going to risk sounding like a board mouthpiece, but here we go. I've caught up with this thread since this morning and here are my views.

Joe Allen - is clearly an excellent player in a funk, he has played very well for Liverpool, Wales and even Stoke in the premier league. In the Championship he has not been with it, whether that's due to style of play, manager or motivation I do not know, but at 29 he's far from worn out and would be a good addition to the squad, with the caveat that he's not the only addition. The way I see it is we need to replace Sanchez and Wilshere, preferably with one guaranteed starter like Fernandes or Berge, and one player to expand our choices, fill gaps, and probably get a lot of game time too. Allen fills that second roll.

If we sign Allen and one of our bigger targets it's a great deal. If it's just Allen. Meh.

Josh Cullen - he's getting on, but player of the season last year for Charlton, similar for Bradford, and his injury has coincided with a massive fall down the table.
I think had we signed Charlton's 22 year old player of the season on a free transfer last summer we'd have been pretty content. Let him finish the season with Charlton, then see how he does in pre-season. He'll have a good career, hopefully he can push that last bit forward and it be with us.

Antonio Valencia - He's the same age as Young who still plays regularly for Man Utd, and is apparently over his thigh issues, Fredericks is out and everyone knows we're desperate for a right back, if we get Allen, Fernandes and Barbosa in and add Valencia as a better fit for a wing back on a free it's a good window. If it's just Allen and Valencia, it's pretty tragic.
Moyes has worked with him before, he will know about his character as well.
Sensible and realistic post 👍
Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:47 pm It's ok, he praised him, with his other account..
Who are your top transfer window targets?
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

We are 16th in the league with a midfield consisting of sanchez, noble, snodgrass, wilshere, yarmalenko

And we binned off obiang, we need 2 fit athletic midfielders we cannot keep neglecting this as we simply will go down.
Imagine us trying to keep pace with leeds last night, we would have lasted 10 minutes.
We simply dont have a functiona capable l central midfield and if not addressed will be the main reason we go down if not this season but next.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

I’m confused is SH our new DOF (personally I wish he was)?
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

Be happy just to sign Gelson.
If not I'd be happy just to sign Bogle or Aaron's
If we can't sign either or anyone else approaching that level then don't bother
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

hammerddh wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:10 pm Be happy just to sign Gelson.
If not I'd be happy just to sign Bogle or Aaron's
If we can't sign either or anyone else approaching that level then don't bother
Gut feeling (and history) says you might be hugely disappointed
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:24 pm I'd take a look at Baptiste at Oxford. It's a few levels below, but he ran rings round us in the cup and has looked good every time I've seen him. Scored a rocket this weekend and is only 21.
Remember reading this and fet I needed to chime in...

He really stood out in their match against Man City and ran rings around them as well! Remember saying to a mate that he will be playing in the PL within 18 months, only depends on for who. We supposedly had scouts theree that day, but I would absolutely love a punt like that!

Also re the Sander Berge talk. He really wants to go to spain (been courted by Sevilla for years) BUT he did train with West Ham when he was 16 for a week, so that might help our case. Not sure he's quick enough imo, especially as we cronicly lack any sort of pace down our spine, but hey ho.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

Ozza wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:11 pm Gut feeling (and history) says you might be hugely disappointed
Only too aware my friend
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Joe Allen isn't great but he is better than Jack who can't get a game because he's always injured, or Carlos who can't get a game because he's ****
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

The sooner we accept the mythological “next level” was just PR spin from a bunch of harebrained bluffers is the sooner we can concentrate on sporting merits and gradual improvement.

Everton are the epitome of the “next level” myth, where they just spend tonnes of money on mediocre players under the leadership of a dodgy billionaire owner who is reasonably likely to just be the frontman for an even dodgier billionaire. Their wage to turnover ratio is horrendous and if Moshiri pulls the plug for some reason they could be in a Leeds-esque mess.

We should be looking to build a teak tough team made up mainly of English and other British players with maybe 4-5 really good non-domestic players who can add an extra touch of class.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:38 pm We'd more than likely be Allen's last club though, so that's a big wage for a player that will likely be in decline, taking a place in the squad for three, four or five years, a player with no re-sale value, that we won't be able to shift, another player that offers us nothing that we don't already have, we need something different, something fresh.

In Rice, we have one of the most promising, most naturally gifted midfielders we have had in years, so let's compliment him, let's give him a reason to stay, provide him with a partner he can build a relationship with over the next five to ten years, a partnership we can build our entire team around, why do we have to settle for mediocrity.

I'm sure there are younger, cheaper alternatives to Allen in the Championship or on the continent, all it takes is some scouting, some imagination.

Fernandes would be perfect in my opinion, him and Rice would be an exceptionally talented, energetic and exciting midfield.
Given the low fee, surely the expenditure is worth it? I mean, we have burned money thanks to our “next level” signing of Wilshire, so a dependable player who is actually a midfielder and not a winger shoehorned in to the middle would pay dividends on the field.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:06 pm The sooner we accept the mythological “next level” was just PR spin from a bunch of harebrained bluffers is the sooner we can concentrate on sporting merits and gradual improvement.

Everton are the epitome of the “next level” myth, where they just spend tonnes of money on mediocre players under the leadership of a dodgy billionaire owner who is reasonably likely to just be the frontman for an even dodgier billionaire. Their wage to turnover ratio is horrendous and if Moshiri pulls the plug for some reason they could be in a Leeds-esque mess.

We should be looking to build a teak tough team made up mainly of English and other British players with maybe 4-5 really good non-domestic players who can add an extra touch of class.
Even they have publicly, 'more or less' admitted themselves the next level statements were now just spin. I say 'more or less' advisedly, since as dishonest as they are, they will not openly admit to this in anything else, but code, but in a recent statement I read somewhere, it was Sullivan who openly admitted to the 'Atletico Madrid referral now as perhaps, being just a little too over ambitious for a club of our size.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Their problem is that the next level is actually only 7th-9th - and they can't even manage that. Their problem since 2016 hasn't been unreasonable fan expectation in relation to Manchester City, but entirely reasonable expectation compared to Leicester, Wolves and Southampton.

The club is under-performing with them in charge.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:43 pm Their problem is that the next level is actually only 7th-9th - and they can't even manage that. Their problem since 2016 hasn't been unreasonable fan expectation in relation to Manchester City, but entirely reasonable expectation compared to Leicester, Wolves and Southampton.

The club is under-performing with them in charge.
Well it has to be sustained success for me - look at Southampton at the moment. Also Leicester have unique owners who seem reasonably supportive. Wolves is weird as they just seem to be a shop window for Mendes’ clients.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:30 pm Even they have publicly, 'more or less' admitted themselves the next level statements were now just spin. I say 'more or less' advisedly, since as dishonest as they are, they will not openly admit to this in anything else, but code, but in a recent statement I read somewhere, it was Sullivan who openly admitted to the 'Atletico Madrid referral now as perhaps, being just a little too over ambitious for a club of our size.
Yeah, I think honesty would go a long way.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I'm a bit puzzled as to why Allen who was everybody's darling a year ago is now regarded as poor because he's struggled in the championship. He's not the first player to not take to the second tier. Apparently he wouldn't be 'next level'. Well last time I looked next level for us would be consistently keeping clear of relegation, because at the moment we're still lurching back and forth between promising contenders and strugglers. I always thought Allen was overrated a little, but is a solid consistent player that would boost our midfield options.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:35 pm http://www.fotospor.com/haber-fenerbahc ... aku-358178

Fenerbache in talks for Masuaku.
Also wanted in France..http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-man- ... different/