The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by S-H »

Last edited by S-H on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adecoker
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Adecoker »

If marsaille are interested in masuaku then masuaku + cash for sanson would suit all parties
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by waynepin »

everyday straight home from work laptop onto kumb transfers , throughout both transfer windows, it gets so frustrating hearing about players I've never heard of before being linked with a move to West ham, you start to think, sounds like a player sign him up, then they fall through or sign for someone else, does anyone know what our budget is, are we likely to sell anyone, will we buy anyone, are they any good, I really dislike transfer windows, see you tomorrow
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:06 pm The sooner we accept the mythological “next level” was just PR spin from a bunch of harebrained bluffers is the sooner we can concentrate on sporting merits and gradual improvement.

Everton are the epitome of the “next level” myth, where they just spend tonnes of money on mediocre players under the leadership of a dodgy billionaire owner who is reasonably likely to just be the frontman for an even dodgier billionaire. Their wage to turnover ratio is horrendous and if Moshiri pulls the plug for some reason they could be in a Leeds-esque mess.

We should be looking to build a teak tough team made up mainly of English and other British players with maybe 4-5 really good non-domestic players who can add an extra touch of class.
So we sold our home and our soul for a 'next level' lie and now we should just get over it, accept it and move on. :thdn:

Yeah tell me more about this Joe Allen, he sounds great, who else do think we might buy in this window, how exciting.....what was it I was moaning about now, I've forgotten.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Tom Davies doesn't seem to be getting much game time at Everton at the moment. He'd be an exciting punt for me, in preference to Joe Allen. Similar barnets, too. :thup:
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Joe allen..javier manquillo...
As per steinberg, fernandez looking increasing unlikely,
Mad that a delegation including sullivans son seemingly cant get the deal done.
Exciting and professional times.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Selling masuaku would be daft.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

leer34 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:24 pm Joe allen..javier manquillo...
As per steinberg, fernandez looking increasing unlikely,
Mad that a delegation including sullivans son seemingly cant get the deal done.
Exciting and professional times.
Aye, but no one is surprised anymore, surely?
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:06 pm The sooner we accept the mythological “next level” was just PR spin from a bunch of harebrained bluffers is the sooner we can concentrate on sporting merits and gradual improvement.
I’ve been a STH almost every season since 1983 (I didn’t bother the second season under Curbs), and a STH every season under GSB - so I’m saying this based on watching this up close

There won’t be any concentration of sporting merits or gradual improvement for Moyes during his second season. There will be a summer of sell-offs, make-dos, and never-do-wells.

The second season is always the same. Always.

Anyway back on topic; personally I’ve no problem with Joe Allen or Darren Randolph as squad additions - upgrades on Carlos Sanchez and Roberto
Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

happydaystoytown wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 pm So we sold our home and our soul for a 'next level' lie and now we should just get over it, accept it and move on. :thdn:

Yeah tell me more about this Joe Allen, he sounds great, who else do think we might buy in this window, how exciting.....what was it I was moaning about now, I've forgotten.
They must love you in timeshare sales pitches
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I've seen a couple of tenuous links to Nzonzi as well.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

"Fernandes is highly rated and it is widely believed that he has a good chance of ending up at a club with greater aspirations than West Ham. While he has family in London, he has been strongly linked with Lyon and Manchester United."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... des-stalls

Perhaps explains why we're not targeting much higher than the steady, safe likes of Joe Allen in our current predicament.
Last edited by steveyrockstar on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I will be very said if Masuaku leaves
I find watching West Ham is much more enjoyable when he is on the pitch

His unpredictably is just so West Ham
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

Mikloskosglovebag wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:29 pm They must love you in timeshare sales pitches
:D It's a f***ing tag team working in shifts!

Needless to say, I don't have a time share, volcano insurance or a season ticket to the London Stadium.
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

Everton are the epitome of the “next level” myth, where they just spend tonnes of money on mediocre players under the leadership of a dodgy billionaire owner who is reasonably likely to just be the frontman for an even dodgier billionaire. Their wage to turnover ratio is horrendous and if Moshiri pulls the plug for some reason they could be in a Leeds-esque mess.

We should be looking to build a teak tough team made up mainly of English and other British players with maybe 4-5 really good non-domestic players who can add an extra touch of class.
I agree, achieving this mythical "next level" (I cringe every time I hear this expression) is not easy at all and there is no divine right to get there just because a (in my opinion) very misjudged statement was made about it...seems to have people not only chasing rainbows but believing that they've been cheated for not being able to get their hands on this multi-coloured wonderland...
I'm not talking about the stadium move here, simply that, as the previous poster mentions it's NOT easy, otherwise everyone would be doing it. Spending is not a solution in itself either and recently nearly led us to meltdown...
I may regret having a little faith here...but MAYBE Moyes will climb back onto that Everton horse with us and build us up according to his new youthful approach (hopefully with players that will actually being something to the team that is needed, please!)...or maybe my dreams will fade and die...I'm a pretty positive guy though, so I'm all in until it goes tits up again
After 40 years of following though, I genuinely think we have more potential now (I'm terms of player talent) than at any other previous time (well almost, there was that Rio, Lampard, Defoe era but that didn't exactly work out as planned).
I think we're lacking depth for sure though and am not sure whether we should be a bit dreamy and hope this young Portuguese comes in all bells and whistles (frankly seems risky - not that know anything about him, but based upon young kids coming in from very different leagues and having to deal with the physicality of ours...). Maybe the dull Allen would be the sensible way forward...and hence allow us to take a risk on this kind of youngster...
Yeah, no idea, but things will work themselves out!!!
:scarfer:
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

I feel about Masuaku the same way I felt about Zarate - always a pleasure to see their name on the teamsheet but I’m not sure in terms of positive contribution versus the flaws they bring they’re actually worth the bother.
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

Aceface wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:49 pm I feel about Masuaku the same way I felt about Zarate - always a pleasure to see their name on the teamsheet but I’m not sure in terms of positive contribution versus the flaws they bring they’re actually worth the bother.
True...but so West Ham :D
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 339 likes
Total likes: 598 likes

Post by Croydon »

Trepidation is the only thing I feel when I see Masuaku in the team.

Hopefully he is sold.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

waynepin wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:19 pm everyday straight home from work laptop onto kumb transfers , throughout both transfer windows, it gets so frustrating hearing about players I've never heard of before being linked with a move to West ham, you start to think, sounds like a player sign him up, then they fall through or sign for someone else, does anyone know what our budget is, are we likely to sell anyone, will we buy anyone, are they any good, I really dislike transfer windows, see you tomorrow
I agree but, If there was'nt talk there would be no transfer thread.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

happydaystoytown wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 pm So we sold our home and our soul for a 'next level' lie and now we should just get over it, accept it and move on. :thdn:

It’s better than just stewing over it forever. The game goes in cycles and even the giants wax and wane. Look at how bad Man Utd are now, and they still think they have a divine right to be winning everything. Fact is, they were in as much of a state, or almost, as we were in before Ferguson appeared.