The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:49 pm I feel about Masuaku the same way I felt about Zarate - always a pleasure to see their name on the teamsheet but I’m not sure in terms of positive contribution versus the flaws they bring they’re actually worth the bother.
As my recent analysis documented, we accumulate more points, score more goals per game, and concede less goals per game when he is left back vs Cresswell

That is moot now anyway given we are likely to go five at the back

I would much rather have MAsuaku in that wing back role than Cresswell, that is for sure
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

leer34 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:24 pm Joe allen..javier manquillo...
As per steinberg, fernandez looking increasing unlikely,
Mad that a delegation including sullivans son seemingly cant get the deal done.
Exciting and professional times.

Still, the good news in all of this is, we only have to endure another 3 years of their games in transfers windows
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

ChazHammer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:47 pm I agree, achieving this mythical "next level" (I cringe every time I hear this expression) is not easy at all and there is no divine right to get there just because a (in my opinion) very misjudged statement was made about it...seems to have people not only chasing rainbows but believing that they've been cheated for not being able to get their hands on this multi-coloured wonderland...
I'm not talking about the stadium move here, simply that, as the previous poster mentions it's NOT easy, otherwise everyone would be doing it. Spending is not a solution in itself either and recently nearly led us to meltdown...
I may regret having a little faith here...but MAYBE Moyes will climb back onto that Everton horse with us and build us up according to his new youthful approach (hopefully with players that will actually being something to the team that is needed, please!)...or maybe my dreams will fade and die...I'm a pretty positive guy though, so I'm all in until it goes tits up again
After 40 years of following though, I genuinely think we have more potential now (I'm terms of player talent) than at any other previous time (well almost, there was that Rio, Lampard, Defoe era but that didn't exactly work out as planned).
I think we're lacking depth for sure though and am not sure whether we should be a bit dreamy and hope this young Portuguese comes in all bells and whistles (frankly seems risky - not that know anything about him, but based upon young kids coming in from very different leagues and having to deal with the physicality of ours...). Maybe the dull Allen would be the sensible way forward...and hence allow us to take a risk on this kind of youngster...
Yeah, no idea, but things will work themselves out!!!
:scarfer:
For me a lot of small, gradual improvements would be better than trying to take giant leaps. Especially at this level, making consistent progress is hard.
Longaz
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

I wonder what position Fenerbahce, Marseille and Lyon plan to use Masuaku in if they sign him. All three clubs are alot more successful than West Ham, Maybe he's not as bad a defender as many make out.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:08 pm As my recent analysis documented, we accumulate more points, score more goals per game, and concede less goals per game when he is left back vs Cresswell

That is moot now anyway given we are likely to go five at the back

I would much rather have MAsuaku in that wing back role than Cresswell, that is for sure
Yeah, but correlation does not necessarily equal causation!
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:37 am Any worse than basing an opinion on a couple of YouTube clips and looking up some stats on WhoScored?

There's a lot of people wanting Sander Berge or Fernandes. I'm struggling to believe that they've all spent time watching Genk or Benfica matches.

What makes people so sure that a couple of players that have only played in either the portuguese league or belgian league are going to do the job in the Premier League? Is it wise bringing in players that are going to need at least half a season to settle in when you're actually fighting a relegation battle in the here and now?

Fans tend to think they know a lot... but most of the time they're a little over exitable. Football managers aren't.

I remember a few people on here suggesting Moise Kean during the summer... he's not turned out to well has he? And there was huge disappointment when we didn't go for Dendonker... yet in the end, only Wolves really showed interest and the player looked slow and a bit rubbish for most of his first 12 months in England. That's just two quick examples off the top of my head but it tends to always be the same story whenever we're linked to a continental player. And yet when we're linked to an experienced Premier League player, we all collectively sigh and feel underwhelmed. Check out how many underwhelmed posts there were on the first few pages of the Fabianski thread. I remember suggesting Ings on more than one occassion, and being dismissed as he wasn't good enough. I remember a few being happy at the prospect of signing Zaza. Sometimes we're no better at judging players than Sullivan.

How many established Premier League midfield workhorses would have underwhelmed us had we been linked with them? And yet most of these players have at some point over the last 12 months played in a midfield that dominated ours. We all know deep down that we need players like this - but we can't bring ourselves to actually suggest their unfashionable names so we go looking for fancier names on the continent instead to do exactly the same job. Players that have a much reduced chance of settling in and having a big impact.

Nordtveit was quite highly thought of by Borussia Mönchengladbach fans. They were sad to see him leave. Not a single one of us thought he was going to be as bad as he was. At least with a Joe Allen, you know exactly what you're going to get.
Agreed with your post on page 117 but this is an even better one. A lot of people are forgetting we're still in the **** down the wrong end of the table, we need a ball winner, which is exactly the type of player Allen is. Our midfield has been too much of a soft touch down the years. You hit the nail on the head regarding Berge and Fernandes, I've certainly never heard of them before. Just because they have a foreign name and some on here have seen their best bits on a YouTube compilation they think they are better suited than a Joe Allen type. Our next level for now is to be in the Premier League next season. YouTube can play tricks with people's minds. Julien Faubert anyone? He was gash for the majority of his time here.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 256 likes

Post by steps »

Just read Moyes is looking at bringing in Rafael da Silva as the RB cover for Fredricks.

Could be ok. Has been a good servant to Lyon for the last few seasons.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

why not ask the opinion of james Collins, whether he thinks joe allen would be a good buy for west ham ?
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Adecoker wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:11 pm If marsaille are interested in masuaku then masuaku + cash for sanson would suit all parties
A straight swap for Payet would be even better!
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

D. Drinkwater on loan to Villa. Surely he would have been worth a punt on loan?
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Depressed Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:26 pm D. Drinkwater on loan to Villa. Surely he would have been worth a punt on loan?
No...
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

Adecoker wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:11 pm If marsaille are interested in masuaku then masuaku + cash for sanson would suit all parties
No way we sell Masuaku given our league position , unless we got a decent left back in return.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Oatcake talk Joe Allen

He seems to divide opinion a bit.

The more positive descriptions seem to be Scott Parker-ish rather than a carbon copy of Noble. Some don't rate him.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1521 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

If Moyes wants to play 3 at the back, selling Masuaku would be an odd decision.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

steps wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:19 pm Just read Moyes is looking at bringing in Rafael da Silva as the RB cover for Fredricks.

Could be ok. Has been a good servant to Lyon for the last few seasons.
Didn't Moyes manage him before? And Manquillo.

People at the club know Randolph.

It all seems safety first - people that are known entities to those within the club hierarchy.

All very reminiscent of that window where the club bought Fonte and Snodgrass.
traxop

Post by traxop »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:20 pm
For example. If you're first choice is Noble and Rice, but Rice gets injured, are you going to replace him with Lanzini? Would you be able to play the same way and style of defensive and attacking football that you would by just bringing in Lanzini for Rice.
Surely, this just highlights the problem if we were to get just Allen. Having both Allen and Noble in the midfield two? I mean, no fan would have failed to noticed how easily overrun we've been in the middle of the park. Having Allen as the backup just means we've would concede physicality, height, the contesting of aerial duels and pace. The very things that we want to address, and have been wanting to address for the last 3-4 seasons now.

I know and take your point, the likes of Lanzini and Yarmo(in the list you were replying to) aren't players we would really slot into the midfield 2 if Rice is injured. But, the fact that some people are happy with Allen as the midfield reinforcement because he's known as a traditional central midfielder is to me equally baffling.

People are thinking in terms of Allen being an able stand-in if Nobles gets injured are failing to ask themselves, if Rice was the one that's injured, would we be happy with Noble and Allen(having to concede all those things I've mentioned) as a pairing. Would a pairing of 2 Nobles even be functional?
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 pm If Moyes wants to play 3 at the back, selling Masuaku would be an odd decision.
Are we believing Moyes is in 100% control of ins and outs?
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 pm If Moyes wants to play 3 at the back, selling Masuaku would be an odd decision.
Being linked with a string of free/lo-cost full backs/wing backs who can play both sides - Valencia, Manquillo, Rafael.... all known to the manager.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:43 pm Their problem is that the next level is actually only 7th-9th - and they can't even manage that. Their problem since 2016 hasn't been unreasonable fan expectation in relation to Manchester City, but entirely reasonable expectation compared to Leicester, Wolves and Southampton.

The club is under-performing with them in charge.
:thup:

Consistently 7th highest turnover. Bottom half wage bill, outspent by Bournemouth and Brighton on transfers since the move to the bowl. Even despite our higher turnover and profit on sale of the Boleyn. Lower investment in training and facilities than peers.

This window is going to go to type. After Fernandes (on loan with option), after Barbosa (on loan with option), after cheap goalkeeper, after free right back.

It’s not ALL about the money - but the amount the board are willing to pay CLEARLY drives the choice and options of players we are looking at. This often results in the wrong type of player being approached, scatter gun approach meaning completely different types of midfielder or attacker, patched up defence.

How much equity are they sitting on?

Same **** different day with this lot.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

chigwells finest wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:21 pm why not ask the opinion of james Collins, whether he thinks joe allen would be a good buy for west ham ?
Honestly think he could become something of a cult hero like Ginge if Allen did sign. Such is his strong work ethic.